Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:53 AM

654 posts, read 1,210,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit2009 View Post
I agree and I do think that parents who allow their children to become obese (when they don't have any existing conditions) are guilty of neglect. It is a form of harm - and a serious one at that. I;m the glad the government is starting to recognise this.
I have to agree with you on this. I always feel disgusted and angry when I am out somewhere and see a child, sometimes as young as 7 or 8, that is easily pushing 200 pounds. And right there with them are their parents, who are grossly overweight as well, buying them more sugary crap masquerading as food. Thanks to the laziness and ignorance of these "parents" these kids can look forward to a life of heart problems, diabetes, and high blood pressure. These kids don't know any better and it is supposed to be the job of parents to teach them. If you ask me, and I know that no one here did , this is a form of child abuse.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Why do Americans class Europe as one big country? I'll never understand the ignorance, you see we're all seprate countries with many different cultures i cant imagine folks in continental Europe downing a doner kebab, perhaps your slightly confused with Scotland or England but do not tar all with the same brush because you'll find that these countries are the polar opposite of each other.

Spain and Scotland are NOTHING alike. But im sure you would have known that right?

You will obviously get more obese people in western Europe because our diets and lifestyles are so different of that of continental Europe. Not one family member in Italy is fat that I know of. Nor in Spain.

Oh and I have been to Columbia, SC i've been to alot of the states and there are alot of obese people there is no doubt about that, more than here but they're not all fat.
I said Europe because it's just easier to type than a long list of countries. Obviously they are not the same but similarly the U.S. is not one homogeneous place either.

Have you never been to continental Europe or something? The Doner Kebab is actually available far beyond England's borders. I've had them in France, Belgium, Germany, and Austria. These countries are all Continental European according to the worldwide definition. Do Scots have another definition of Continental Europe?

Oh and thanks for the heads-up about Spain being different than Scotland. I had no idea. It's informative lessons like these that are the reason I post on City-data!

Of course the Mediterranean diet of places like Italy and Spain make them much healthier but since they are to be taken into account in the EU statistic on being overweight then that just means the other countries are even fatter to achieve the 1/3 average.

Yes there are lots of fatties here in Columbia where I go to school but I wouldn't say there are much more (at least percentage wise) than in many cities in England. Now as far as Scotland is concerned-I've only been to Edinburgh where I saw a similar amount of overweight people but of course not the majority.

So basically I should have just said North-Western Europe+German speaking countries and my point still stands.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:06 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I said Europe because it's just easier to type than a long list of countries. Obviously they are not the same but similarly the U.S. is not one homogeneous place either.

Well obviously.

Have you never been to continental Europe or something? The Doner Kebab is actually available far beyond England's borders. I've had them in France, Belgium, Germany, and Austria. These countries are all Continental European according to the worldwide definition. Do Scots have another definition of Continental Europe?

Yes I have many times, we have a villa in Spain and half of my family are Italian so i know exactly what im talking about and to be honest kebabs aren't top of the menu. I also have in laws in Mississippi so really I have pretty much a good understanding.

Oh and thanks for the heads-up about Spain being different than Scotland. I had no idea. It's informative lessons like these that are the reason I post on City-data!

When you said Europe as a whole I began to worry, thats all.

Of course the Mediterranean diet of places like Italy and Spain make them much healthier but since they are to be taken into account in the EU statistic on being overweight then that just means the other countries are even fatter to achieve the 1/3 average.

Yes I eat mainly a Mediterranean diet, its healthy and tasty. Which is more than i can say for others.

Yes there are lots of fatties here in Columbia where I go to school but I wouldn't say there are much more (at least percentage wise) than in many cities in England. Now as far as Scotland is concerned-I've only been to Edinburgh where I saw a similar amount of overweight people but of course not the majority.

Like i said i've been all over the southern US and not everyone was fat, same with Scotland, England etc etc

So basically I should have just said North-Western Europe+German speaking countries and my point still stands.
Your post just sounded like it was aimed at Europe as a whole if you mention the countries it would be easier to pin point.

And the sarcasm in your posts, well I shall not comment.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:05 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Take the obesity debates over to the health forum, please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe