U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,588 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to go to Prague or Florence for a month this summer. I'm very torn between the two. What about the cities should I know before I make my choice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 09:28 PM

3 posts, read 9,588 times
I want to add that finances are somewhat limited.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 5,531,033 times
Outside of summer, I would definitely have chosen Florence; in summer, you can give a try for Prague without freezing your ass off!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 AM

13,036 posts, read 15,249,140 times
I adore both Prague and Florence but I would personally chose Florence, especially if finances are limited. We spent 2 weeks in Prague last Spring and I was shocked how expensive it was. I had not been since the 80s and it really was incredibly pricey ( well for us in the UK anyway).

Prague is a stunning city and the Architecture is sublime if like me you are an Architecture buff and fan of the built environment. I would say though that its very quick "Westernisation" has meant a certain loss of its charms and it can often feel like a tourist hell. Charles Bridge has now become really quite a hassle to walk on simply because of the amount of tourism.

Florence is also very touristy and its Architecture and wealth of Art and wonderful museums also makes it a fantastic destination but to me it still has charm in buckets, the food is mostly fabulous and of course Tuscany is on yopur doorstep and should not be missed.

Both cities have their charms, but Prague felt almost fake to me last year, very very beautiful but a little stilted.

If you do chose Prague I would recommend a train journey to Budapest ( very easy) and a a couple of nights' stay there. Budapest is also quite a wonderful city and has still kept some of its former charms ( their economy is doing very badly at the moment so it might also be cheaper).

If you do visit Budapest I would stronlgy recommend a visit to the Hungarian Parliament which is an absolute joy of a building as well as the Museum of Ethnology opposite which is a facinating insight into the different cultures and ethnicities which have made Hungary for centuries.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,028,913 times
Prague! Prague is a wonderful city. It has a great nightlife, if you are interested or not. The city is beautiful as well. If you have a chance, give Budapest a shot as well. It's another city with an interesting history. PM if you have any questions about restaurants or anything in general!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe