Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you scared of flying now since the airplane accident?
Yes, I'm not flying anymore 1 1.85%
Yes, but I will still fly 14 25.93%
No, all kind of accident occurs 39 72.22%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

Despite the fact that many people INSIST that flying is the safest form of transportation, I have not flown since 1976 and I never will again.

Air travelers have NO CONTROL over whether they live or die at any given moment. At least if I am involved in a vehicle accident on the road, I may be able to do something to save myself. Whereas, when you are at 10,000 or 20,000 or 30,000 feet in the air, rolling over to the side of the road when you blow a tire (or lose an engine), is not really an option.

I wonder how many of those 228 people were on their very first airplane ride? I'm sure the baby was.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,405 times
This incident will technically fall under pilot error. They had absolutely no business flying into that storm like that. I can just see the two pilots complaining about an extra 45 minutes in the air if they flew around the storm. They probably thought, it would just be a few bumps. With today's technology, they know exactly where the severe weather and thunder storms are. They are trained to fly around them, yet they choose to go right through it? No respect for mother nature. They got hammered by 100 mph up and downdraft current and it ripped that plane apart.

Very, very sad as it could have all been avoided. From the transcripts, the ordeal lasted about 15 minutes. That must have been a pure living hell for those onboard.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
This incident will technically fall under pilot error. They had absolutely no business flying into that storm like that. I can just see the two pilots complaining about an extra 45 minutes in the air if they flew around the storm. They probably thought, it would just be a few bumps. With today's technology, they know exactly where the severe weather and thunder storms are. They are trained to fly around them, yet they choose to go right through it? No respect for mother nature. They got hammered by 100 mph up and downdraft current and it ripped that plane apart.

Very, very sad as it could have all been avoided. From the transcripts, the ordeal lasted about 15 minutes. That must have been a pure living hell for those onboard.
What transcripts??? From what I've been reading no one is certain of anything and won't be until or IF the black boxes are recovered.....

Where are you getting this from and link please

Old 06-04-2009, 11:38 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
What transcripts??? From what I've been reading no one is certain of anything and won't be until or IF the black boxes are recovered.....

Where are you getting this from and link please
Transcripts as in the time line from the first pilot radio call they were encountering CBs to the aircrafts auto messaging system. It's been all over the news that authorities have analyzed the data and most feel the plane broke apart during flight. I was not referencing the transcripts from the black box, but rather from what we know so far.

The storm caused the crash. My point was, they are trained to fly around servere weather such as this, not through it. For whatever reason, they decided to go through it. A decision that proved fatal.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:04 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Transcripts as in the time line from the first pilot radio call they were encountering CBs to the aircrafts auto messaging system. It's been all over the news that authorities have analyzed the data and most feel the plane broke apart during flight. I was not referencing the transcripts from the black box, but rather from what we know so far.

The storm caused the crash. My point was, they are trained to fly around servere weather such as this, not through it. For whatever reason, they decided to go through it. A decision that proved fatal.

Ok and yet i also read that because of the huge oil slick some think it broke apart upon impact with the sea...also read that the storm itself was not enough to down the plane it had to be a combo of catastrophic events at once..all reports, except for the pilots about the storm and the electronic messaging are pure speculation at this point and truth be told I don't think we will ever know what truly happened unless they recover the black boxes or significant parts of the aircraft

Old 06-04-2009, 04:03 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Air travelers have NO CONTROL over whether they live or die at any given moment. At least if I am involved in a vehicle accident on the road, I may be able to do something to save myself. Whereas, when you are at 10,000 or 20,000 or 30,000 feet in the air, rolling over to the side of the road when you blow a tire (or lose an engine), is not really an option.

n
you have no control over whether you will live or die at any given moment. Lets say you get in vehicle accident....car rolls for 100 feet you make it alive...step out of the car and get picked off by car passing by...if its your time to go..nothing you can do... I am going to Montego Bay next weekend..even with this, the trip is never in doubt

Old 06-04-2009, 04:55 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
20yrsinBranson Actually a lot of car accidents are where you don't see it coming and you have no control. Being hit by a speeding car running a light--head on crash--happens a lot unfortunately

CarolinaCowboy Your post is interesting. Do you mean that such a storm was definitely avoidable? Could they have absolutely known about the power of this particular storm? Would that be the pilot's decision or air control?

As to the storm not being able to bring down the plane--Bob Francis formerly with NTSB said this storm with its 100mph downdraft would definitely have affected the plane and he would have been amazed if it had not. Also said it is a part of flying in that region to be very wary of weather conditions.(But what about other aircraft that went through the storm? or did they all avoid it?)

As to OP question--I will still fly and I intellectually know the odds haven't changed--but it sure makes the possibilitie more in the forefront--I never thought about falling out of the sky in mid-flight without a TWA type incident or sabotage. This is unnerving--particularly if this kind of storm exists everywhere and your life depends on the pilot's aversion to risk!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
you have no control over whether you will live or die at any given moment. Lets say you get in vehicle accident....car rolls for 100 feet you make it alive...step out of the car and get picked off by car passing by...if its your time to go..nothing you can do... I am going to Montego Bay next weekend..even with this, the trip is never in doubt
I do not share your fatalistic approach. In my opinion it is irresponsible. We each have an influence moment to moment what happens to us. My thoughts are that if I do not get in an airplane that I will never die in an airplane crash. Of course, planes to FALL on people occasionally, but the possibilities of that happening are exceedingly rare (unless you live on the approach path to an airport). I prefer to have some say over the way that I go. Perhaps I will not be able to intervene or perhaps my actions will not only save my own life but the life/lives of loved ones also. I still want it to be MY CHOICE as much as possible.

I wonder how many people were on that plane that did not want to be there but instead bowed to pressures by family and friends to do so.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I've always abhorred the idea of dying alone. I don't know why, but the idea of dying with lots people has always appealed to me. If that be my choice at the end.

In a bus careening off one of those mountain roads in South America, plunging thousands of feet, or a train crash or in a plane, with hands locked together with your fellow passengers as the plane nosedives.

Yes, you might have a better chance "surviving" a car crash, but I work in a Rehab facility, and I know myself well enough, I'd never, ever have the patience of those patients who have had to endure that long, neverending process of regaining their mobility and be able to properly function again.
And some, unfortunately, will never really recover. Being a quadriplegic? Or even a paraplegic? If that be the case, I'll take death!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:34 PM

37 posts, read 107,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There is still far less risk in flying than there is in just driving home.
I would not agree with that. Just think about how many cars are on the road in the same time and how many planes in the air, then you will see that there are bilions of people driving and just some hundreads of planes flying !
However, driving a car means your life depends on YOU ! Being a passanger on a plane, your life is on some guys hands ! Big difference !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe