U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-14-2009, 08:46 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,855,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
If you travel overnight (as we often did) on trains departing after 1900 (7PM) and arriving after 0000 (midnight) the next day,
Oh boy, reminds me of my younger days (early 60's), when we, using a Eurail Pass, just for the heck of it took a late train anywhere, and then went back again the next day, just so we could sleep on that train .....

As Sponger mentioned, it takes a bit of planning and getting the right rail passes.

Strange to think that when I lived professionally in Europe, I never took the train anywhere ... while as a youth there, I took trains everywhere .

Very few places you could NOT get to by rail ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,547,509 times
Thanks, everyone, all good stuff which I'll pass on to my friend. I think it's their first time out of the US so they're bound to be a bit nervous. Me, I love travelling by train.

Unread 07-14-2009, 03:52 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,855,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Me, I love travelling by train.
Why is it that one has always good advice for other people but to take that advice on your own ....

There are about three routes here in the US, that are worth traveling by train.
Since we lived in Europe for so long, we have umpteen friends who regularly visit us here in the US. We always tell them to fly to a certain city and take the train to our city.
They all say that it was one of the best things they got to do and see on that train trip ....
But ...
Do we, ourselves, ever go on that trip ... ????

Unread 07-14-2009, 04:06 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,547,509 times
Last September I took Amtrak from Chicago to White Sulphur Springs. Dawn broke as we sneaked into Kentucky and the jouney through West Virginia was absolutely beautiful. Many photo opportunies from the train due to its slow speed. Thoroughly recommended.

Unread 07-14-2009, 05:51 PM

29 posts, read 40,876 times
I live in Germany
It's a mess. Once I could go to the train station, buy a ticket and leave my town.
Nowadays you should book a long time before you want to go. Cause only then you can get a discount. And special offers are always sold out. They make huge ads for special offers, but in fact there is probably only one ticket available for that price. (happened so when I wanted to buy a ticket to London for instance) Maybe the better choice is to go by any cheap airline like Ryanair, if possible.
Train tickets without discount are very expensive, in my opinion.

If you want to travel with a fast train you must even book for one special train. Means, if you miss your train your ticket is worthless, cause you can't take the next one. And if you give back your ticket then, they'll subtract a huge fee.

The tellers in my town are kinda stupid. Whenever I asked them for a good and cheap connection/route they were looking at their computers like they're having their first day in this job.

So, finally, I gave up to travel. I stay at home and chat in forums.

Unread 07-15-2009, 03:32 PM

4,512 posts, read 4,247,595 times
^
if truth be told. and you did.

i guess, all we can still do is try some face saving.. more or less.

in hopes of finding kindred spirits, train or no train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe