Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Im not trying to paint it in any way, I have seen the recent murders of foreigners on the news myself. Your only defense is that, that guy is a jew or has jewish connections.
No, that guy is painting it much worse than it is in order to keep getting millions from EU grant and pat from certain cliques.

I have seen murders of foreigners here in US TV too, so?
Moscow homicide rate 9.6 persons per 100k people, New York 6 persons per 100k, Detroit 37.5 per 100k people. Seems quite in line with poverty etc.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
No, that guy is painting it much worse than it is in order to keep getting millions from EU grant and pat from certain cliques.

I have seen murders of foreigners here in US TV too, so?
Moscow homicide rate 9.6 persons per 100k people, New York 6 persons per 100k, Detroit 37.5 per 100k people. Seems quite in line with poverty etc.
It probably is in line with poverty to an extent. You're forgetting though that Russia does not have a disproportionate number of wealthy foreigners. Most of them are Russian.

All I know is, at my workplace, there are many Russians working here as part of a cultural exchange program between the office here and the company office in Moscow. A couple are far-East Asian and Russian by nationality. They have both said, independently, that there are a few days during the year, well marked, that they simply do not go to work for fear of intimidation, getting jumped, or worse.

The European Russians all confirm this. One even blatantly says "yes, we should do something like that here in the USA too! There are too many 'gooks' as you Americans used to call them here."

The fact that only one Russian I work with didn't like that fact was telling.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:43 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
It probably is in line with poverty to an extent. You're forgetting though that Russia does not have a disproportionate number of wealthy foreigners. Most of them are Russian.

All I know is, at my workplace, there are many Russians working here as part of a cultural exchange program between the office here and the company office in Moscow. A couple are far-East Asian and Russian by nationality. They have both said, independently, that there are a few days during the year, well marked, that they simply do not go to work for fear of intimidation, getting jumped, or worse.

The European Russians all confirm this. One even blatantly says "yes, we should do something like that here in the USA too! There are too many 'gooks' as you Americans used to call them here."

I met someone from Russia when I started college. I mentioned it to him about the attacks against persons of African and Asian descent. He not only confirmed it, but he said for that reason he doesn't live there. He also mentioned that he was Jewish and would be subject to attack as well. According to this person, he said Russia was pretty much a lawless place. I also mentioned the situation to someone from Romania. He blamed the demise of the Soviet Union for the rise in racial tensions. According to him, it would not have happened under the Soviet system.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
He blamed the demise of the Soviet Union for the rise in racial tensions. According to him, it would not have happened under the Soviet system.
There's alot of things that "didn't happen" when it was still the Soviet Union.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
There's alot of things that "didn't happen" when it was still the Soviet Union.
Alot is left to the imagination when it comes to the Soviet days. I frequently read National Geographic and the stuff I hear about Russia from the 1970's differs markedly from what I read about in the 1990's. What I hear about in the 1990's editions is rather grim and scary. It is like there was something to hide. I never heard about pollution in the National Geographics from the 1970's regardingthe Soviet Union. February 1990, there is a segment done on the Aral Sea and the environmental damage done to it from years of neglect. Later editions from the 1990's tell of the pollution stemming from earlier times and how bad things really were in other facets of life.
On the other hand, there is an old radio archive from NPR about skinheads in Russia:http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/arch...80506.atc.html. It is the fourth one as you scroll down if you decide to listen to it.

One of the persons who spoke was an African professor who went to the Soviet Union for school. He said that during the Soviet times, he didn't have problems. He said that after the Soviet Union fell apart, the skinhead attacks started and things kept getting worse, not to mention the police wouldn't do much about it.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 PM

Ye, silly Russia. Good I am save in the city I moved recently, let's open a newspaper from today... oh wait a second

Hate-crime charges in ice cream truck attack | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

What he is mentioning is maybe a VDV days... something like "special forces day". People from army special forces get drunk at that day and go outside and beat random people... very barbarian, I agree.

I don't think the color has much to do with it, you will get beaten sometimes even if you are scandinavian.

Again, skinheads are there, racism is there. But it's in line with poverty level of the nation, the young democracy and transformation to capitalism.
It's not supported by common russians and its not supported by politicians. Have you seen extremist party in russian parlament? How much % they have? 0.5%?

You have five time bigger chance to be a victim of a homicide in Detroit or Baltimore then in Moscow.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:09 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I think that people are making this out as a bigger issue than it really is. You'll find racist ass hats everywhere and there are many in the states. If you were looking forward to visiting parts of Russia I say do it, be careful with your surroundings (as you should be doing anyway in a place where you are unfamiliar) and surround yourself with people.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
OP is right, Russia is hell if you are a foreigner. My friend, who is black, went to Moscow for a semester for school and has told me things on here that are unbelievable.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
The Soviet Union probably kept alot of this BS under the cover. And as for the NG articles and such, dare I say alot of the media/academia in the western world has long been of a left-wing bent.

Not to be mean, but I can't see the appeal of wanting to go to Russia anyhow, it's teetering into becoming a third world country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe