Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:25 PM

184 posts, read 837,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'll tell ya what the easiest way is if you’re single!

I have a EU citizenship and I rot in the US (seemed like a good idea at the time... ). You and I get married and you get it, too. However, you'll have to take care of me in France.
Haha, that's true - I guess that is an option that avoids all the birthright vs ancestry complications

Quote:
Hurry up ‘cause rumor has it I might have to give up one citizenship and at this point I don’t know which one!
I'm curious, why may you have to give up one of your citizenships? I know some countries don't allow dual-citizenship, but I didn't think France was one of them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
I'm curious, why may you have to give up one of your citizenships? I know some countries don't allow dual-citizenship, but I didn't think France was one of them...
I didn't say I was French. Well, there is some talk going on back in my home country about disallowing dual citizenship, but I don't think it's really gonna happen...

Old 08-03-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I didn't say I was French. Well, there is some talk going on back in my home country about disallowing dual citizenship, but I don't think it's really gonna happen...
I just assumed you were French since you said they would have to take care of you in France. Which, now that I think about it is actually quite a silly assumption for me to have made. I may be able to get an Italian passport through my Grandfather, but if I were to move to Europe I would be far more likely to move to France than Italy myself. So I shouldn't have made such an assumption about you either... Hopefully your home country doesn't change the rules, I would hate to have to make a decision like that.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
I just assumed you were French since you said they would have to take care of you in France.
France was his desired destination and I can't say I mind it...

Quote:
Hopefully your home country doesn't change the rules, I would hate to have to make a decision like that.
Looking back, I should've never gotten US citizenship, but things were different at the time... The problem is you can be a permanent resident here for as long as you wish, including spending a lot of time outside of the US. However, if you are to renounce US citizenship, you can't go back to being a permanent resident and you can never set foot here again. Even if you decide you never want to live here anymore, it's hard to manage your financial affairs after having spent most of your adult life here. The US citizenship gives you only the "right" to be "married" to Uncle Sam forever and to have to file taxes even if you leave the country for good.

The US doesn't explicitly allow dual citizenship. It's just a gray zone. That's how things stand for foreign-born people getting it as a 2+ citizenship. I'm not sure how things stand legally for native-born US citizens getting another citizenship.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:04 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
It depends... if you don't have European blood they are all difficult. My father is Italian so I have automatic citizenship but I never applied for their passport because I never wanted to do their military service. Europe is not like the US. It has nothing to do with where you are born, only who your born from.

Do you have any relatives up to grandfather or great grandfather that are European?
But does it have to be a parent who was born in that country? If my great-grandparents were born in Russia, I am assuming that doesn't make me a Russian citizen...but if my parents were, would it automatically? Does this apply to every country?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But does it have to be a parent who was born in that country? If my great-grandparents were born in Russia, I am assuming that doesn't make me a Russian citizen...but if my parents were, would it automatically? Does this apply to every country?
If you kept reading the posts after the one you quoted, you would already know that it does not apply to every country. Russia will have it's own set of laws, just like every other country in the world.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 14,469 times
easiest way to obtain citizenship of which country

Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times
The US allows but does not recognize dual citizenship (with certain countries). I am American and have dual US UK citizenship. But when I visit the US they only want to see my US passport, they don't care and don't want to see my UK one.

I'm amazed at the number of Americans who must be aware how difficult it is for foreigners to immigrate to the US, but think they can just pick up and move to any country in Europe!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:37 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
For one to obtain Hungarian citizenship, one must have a parent who is a Hungarian citizen. So if you have a grandparent who was Hungarian, your parent (the child of the grandparent) must obtain Hungarian citizenship first so you can get it from your parent (as you cannot get it directly due to the fact you have a Hungarian grandparent).

Old 10-30-2009, 02:10 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times
In my opinion,one should search country to country,through wiki or the official gov sites...

Nowhere citizensip acquisition is easy,lots of poor people banging on the doors to open...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe