Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times

Advertisements

I have a German passport, my wife has a US passport, and our daughter was born in Costa Rica. Because of the location of her birth, she is Costa Rican by default.

We had to apply for her US and German/EU (Schengen) Passports and both countries required that at least one parent is a citizen of the respective country. In other words, having a German grandparent would not have done anything for my daughter.

Since Germany is part of the Schengen area (as is France), I would think that there is a uniform regulation to determine who can and cannot become a citizen. I am also sure that each country has exceptions to such an overarching rule (former colonies, WWII displacement, etc.). Doesn't sound like any of that would apply to you.

BTW, marriage to a EU citizen does not mean that you will necessarily be able to acquire EU citizenship - you can obtain a work permit, though.

Also, in order to obtain another citizenship (other than the one/those acquired at birth), you will likely have to give up the other. Otherwise, there'd be quite a few people making a sport of collecting various nationalities...

Sorry, changing one's citizenship is not easy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 08:23 PM

14 posts, read 107,264 times
Default Netherlands

If your American and can invest about $6,000 USD in your self-employed enterprise in Netherlands (Holland), you can use the Dutch American Friendship Treaty. Google "Dutch American Friendship Treaty" and read everything about it.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:52 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WentAway View Post
Hello to all,

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience concerning which European Country would be the best bet for a U.S. Citizen to attempt to obtain citizenship for the sole purpose of being able to move about in the EU?

I would like to move to France, but do not want to be hiding out playing the expired visa game.

Much thanks to anyone willing to offer advice.
Marry an French person.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:00 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochTheSleestak View Post
So unless you're ready to learn Hungarian or Polish and settle for a 50% pay cut, stay home.
You can move to England if you can speak English well. Then, you don't have to worry about learning a new language.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,280 times
If you are American and female i can help, feel free to contact me

Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 10,536 times
Hey
Am a Ugandan from the African continent
Can any one tell me the easiest country I can find employment in Europe .

2. Which European country do U think i can obtain quick citizenship from.
Please help me out before I make travel arrangements.

Thank you

Old 07-25-2013, 01:08 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,853 times
Ugandan? Best bet to ask for political asylum by claiming to be gay. Make up a good story with pictures and references of arrests and other problems with authorities. Then contact local european gay right organizations to aid you in getting approved. Tough part is you have to be believable to the point that your family may not want to talk to you anymore.

However the asylum itself will not get you work papers.

Better chance: Become really, really good in soccer. Then you have your pick of European nations.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:19 AM

3 posts, read 10,536 times
Thanks Kara .
To improve on my football skills it will take me
More than 2 years and I don't have that kind of time.
About the gay papers I can work on them but in which European country
Will this be of advantage.

2.can some one tell me how to survive in Europe For the first time ?

3.how to find ajob in Europe and the lowest pay in Europe and the lowest Paying jobs?

Thank u

Old 07-26-2013, 02:38 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdutwist View Post
3.how to find ajob in Europe and the lowest pay in Europe and the lowest Paying jobs?
1. Get a college degree.
2. Apply for a job like everyone else.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:31 AM

302 posts, read 868,323 times
If you have money from investments, cash, or a pension, a clean criminal record, and private insurance, you can get residency in most EU countries. The farther east, the lower the amount of money you need. After several years of residency you can apply for citizenship. You usually need to learn the local language as well.

DAFT mentioned upthread is not easy. You have to have money, an approved business plan , etc. You get a one year renewable visa. After five years you can apply for citizenship subject to a language test and knowledge of Dutch culture.

Some countries allow dual citizenship and some require you to give up your US citizenship when you naturalize.

I recommend a book called Getting Out. Which explains these things in detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe