U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:00 PM

257 posts, read 318,525 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what kind of a country Ireland is? Do most people speak English? What are the women like? I happen to think the U.S. is going down the tubes and I won't bother staying probably. So... what's Ireland like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:38 PM

358 posts, read 857,590 times
Heh... yeah. English is the most common language in Ireland, although there are still those who can speak Irish (Gaelic).

Other than that, I can't say firsthand, as I've never actually been there, but I've got lots of Irish friends, most of whom still live there, but a few that live here in the US with dual citizenship.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,736,353 times
Everyone speaks English(even the Irish speakers in rural parts can speak English). The women are just like women anywhere.

As for moving to Ireland, you can only move if you are an EU citizen, have a sponsored work visa or you are a student. Their economy is currently worse off than here in the US, (far more "down the tubes" than here), and my husband (who is over there right now) says that he hasn't seen a drop of sun in two weeks and it's been pissin' rain the entire time. Some years, you just don't get a summer at all! Other than that, what else do you want to know?

Last edited by clongirl; 08-03-2009 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-03-2009, 05:13 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,327,070 times
I have enjoyed every visit to Ireland. The people are great! If you are attracted to redheads then you will love the women.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,342,091 times

YouTube - David Gilmour with Spinal Tap "Big Bottom"

Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
Hmm I prefer rain to sunny days. Also technically speaking I could still count as a student. I occasionally dreamed of moving their someday, but now maybe I'll dream about it more serious.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:06 AM

6,608 posts, read 10,669,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Hmm I prefer rain to sunny days. Also technically speaking I could still count as a student. I occasionally dreamed of moving their someday, but now maybe I'll dream about it more serious.
Don't listen to naysayers who say things like "you can only move if ...".

Immigration laws and residency rules are complex, constantly changing, and often applied on the whims, even misperceptions, of the bureaucrat of the day. When there is a will, there is a way for every social circumstance and budget, though to be sure money always helps. Grease'em if necessary with no qualms.

But student is a good start too, and the fast-track is to marry a national.

Go for it!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:01 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,966,433 times
Ireland is a wonderful country, people are nice and friendly. I never actually lived there but I wouldn't mind!
Going there as a student could be a good start, I guess that's the best way to discover a country and see if you like it!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,736,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Don't listen to naysayers who say things like "you can only move if ...".

Immigration laws and residency rules are complex, constantly changing, and often applied on the whims, even misperceptions, of the bureaucrat of the day. When there is a will, there is a way for every social circumstance and budget, though to be sure money always helps. Grease'em if necessary with no qualms.

But student is a good start too, and the fast-track is to marry a national.

Go for it!
Just because someone gives sound information on the obtaining citizenship or residency does not make you a "naysayer". I lived there for several years with my Irish husband and children who are also citizens and I am still not qualified to get citizenship. I've been married for 15yrs.

Here's more information on it...Irish Citizenship - Becoming a Citizen of Ireland

and on obtaining residency...Gaining Legal Residency in Ireland

There's a wealth of information on this site about it and came in handy when we moved. We're obviously not talking to someone who owns a company, is retiring w/ wads of cash... so giving people the false hope and misinformation of just being able to move over by flashing a smile or flashing your wallet is not practical or truthful advice.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:36 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
It's really just a pipe dream. I'm disabled, middle-to-lower-middle-class, and have never left Middle-America. I'm also in my thirties now and likely too set in my ways. I missed my opportunity, which makes me sad in a way but I've had a mostly good life. Also I'd feel guilty as, being the young disabled one, my parents never really thought I'd ever be an ocean away and might miss me more. My little sister being in Japan is hard on them. (And I'd miss them, and my family, alot. I've grown sappier in some ways)

Still as a dream I like the idea of spending a few years in Ireland and then a few more than seeing if I want to stay. And I'm not really that old so if I could stay a few years, even if I could never be a citizen, it might be kind of neat. At least as a learning experience. It's probably never going to happen though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe