Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:03 PM

47 posts, read 347,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican4NewStart View Post
Thanks Paul for this post as I am trying to learn all I can about living in Zurich from those that are actually doing it now. Still can't figure out any comparisons for cost of living for when they ask me what I want salary-wise. Any suggestions anyone?

I was actually contacted by a recruiting company in the UK (Coda IT) for a position in IT at the major banking company there in Zurich. Elan contacted me too about the same posting. I don't have an offer or anything, just the phone interview (which is amazing in and of itself being in US now). I do use JobServe.com and find it very good for postings in Europe and even APAC. I live in the Midwest in America and would love to come to Zurich (irregardless of the massive increase in cost of living). As a single guy in my early 30's, Switzerland (Zurich in particular) would be a wonderful opportunity not to mention the job itself would be awesome. Any more thoughts or comments on living in Zurich? Thanks again!
Hi Happy to help. The following relates to Zurich.

Ok as a consultant you can make 20,000-28,000 CHF a month rates for contractors seem to be about that for skilled persons, the exchange rate is 1.1 to the america dollar at the moment you will be stopped about 30 per cent of your salary 10 percent tax or so, it varies canton to canton, Zug 6/8 pcent is the cheapest, after that you have various costs and pensions 10 percent you get back, and insurances - including one if you loose your job ALV, if you are in the swiss system earning a salary and paying taxes for any period of 12 months in an 18 month window you qualify for your salary being paid for one to two years without you working this means that you get 8300chf per month capped as the max salary, after taxes you get about 6,600 chf per month for this amount, which is a great fail safe to have, you have to prove that you are looking for work and report progress every month but this means youll never fall into poverty or anything I suppose. I mentioned this because I thought that was a really great and unusual benefit. I have never used it and I dont know anyone that has but it is there apparently.

The job market is great if you are highly skilled I have worked at major swiss banks financial institutions and also infrastructure companies. I have been here 3 years and have never been out of work its easy to hop from company to company. Its harder to get here from the states, a lot of people do it on a secondment from a swiss-Us firms as there are permits so you could go work for a big firm in the states and apply on the internal websites etc. Whilst some things will be much better here other things you will find a huge culture shock.

1. It is ultra ultra right wing here and a police state. You constantly have to show papers transport passes, IDs everything. If feels a little in your face to be honest, - it is an absolute business and generates millions you get fined for everything.

2. You need to be very good at administration, pay bills on time, there is a lot of paper work, lots or rules and you are always sent the long way around so sorting things out takes time. Should you not do this you get an invite to the town hall office to pay a missed bill, if you dont comply and go when you are supposed to, the police will come and find you even at your work place, and take you there, then you get more fines and have to pay for the police time, there is no fat on the system here there is a really high financial disapline is expected.

3. You will never have a wonderful home here not like in the states, it will be a rented apartment which is a negative. Real estate seems to begin at 1.2 million and its pretty crappy at that to be honest. If you want a dream home you will not get that until about 4 million chf in or about the city and that would compare to a 350K home in the states. Everyone rents and the state owns all the property you do better on your taxes if you have a home and its cheaper in payments when renting but you need big deposits to buy. The Real estate market is crappy, homes stay on the market for years, you look at it and think what how much for that, what a load of crap.

4. People are really different they can be a bit of a cold fish bunch over here and the spoken voice of the language is completley grating, getting home and putting the tv on and listening to the BBC or JAY LENO feels like sanctuary, but you will meet lots of expats from UK and the US and they are always good fun and socialize in irish pubs. People are always hooking up to go skiing etc. I speak fluent german and swiss but would you really want to listen to something like this...

I have writen this as it actually sounds not as it is spelt for a bit of comedy but it is so grating and annoying to listen to it and I speak fluently.

ICH VEIS DAS NOOT
verstaaaassss Noot.

5. Summers are hot but it is mostly very grey and rainy for the rest of the year, there are lots of industrial buildings and apartment blocks, nothing is really beautiful interms of apartments or homes although there is nice infrastructure in the city for the old buildings etc. If you live further away homes are cheaper, but then the commute is longer.

6. cost of living here is very high.

7. On paper its perfect but having been here a longer time, when you look around noone really interacts with each other much, I dont see people walking around and smiling alot. I suppose thats quite germanic. there is friendly banter enough in the workplace though.

8. the main employers here are zurich financial, UBS, Credit Suisse, Alstom..I worked for all of them, plus nestle, and PharmC companies, Swiss RE. HP, Google, IBM... the list goes on.

9. Getting out of the city and getting around europe is a major plus you get a lot more holidays here, south of france is near by.

10. the trains and trams and transport here must be the envy of the world its really great.

I read things are not great job wise and economy in the states... a lot of europeans that have had properties for several years have made so much money in equity there is a property frenzy here, a lot though have made 500K sterling to 600K sterling and are selling up and are wanting to change into the dollars and go to the states. Buy big homes cash and have money behind them for a better lifestyle. Maybe try coming over for a couple of years have an adventure and make some cash and go back to the states with a swiss miss. lol.

I am staying for a bit longer but after I am either going back to S. of France and will work in monaco and live in my home close by or I am going to go to the states with a bit of pocket money or back to UK. I cant see me spending time here indefinatley you miss english and american type things to much the humour the smiles and the mentality.

oh forgot you can get by easy speaking just english. I dont think there is anyone here that cant speak english. But you get major brownie points and a better intergration if you can speak high german, all swiss speak german the swiss language is a dialect of german you would have to learn german first before speaking swiss it would be just too difficult to learn swiss straight off.

Good luck if you need help drop me a line.

Girls are quite funny here. I went out and noticed the clubs were a bit like a morgue in terms of people seemed reserved and segragated in there little groups, but if you have a bit about you and a sense of humour you can bring them out of there shells and have some fun and make friends. My first week here I will never forget. I took a beer mat ripped it stuck it on my nose walked up the prettiest girl I could see and said excuse me did you just throw that. I think they appreciate someone that is quite fun and a bit chipper.

Last edited by Paul74; 01-26-2008 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,254 times
I would love that situation - what kind of work do you do?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:13 AM

14,250 posts, read 17,849,693 times
I lived in Geneva for some years. It has all the advantages of Switzerland without being the regimented police state that Zurich and most of the Swiss German cantons are.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:25 AM

683 posts, read 1,463,904 times
Swiss dont let foreigners get their citizenship. You could live there as a legal permanent resident for decades but if the community doesnt approve your citizenship application (votes), you'll never become a swiss citizen. They protect their paradise. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:43 PM

441 posts, read 1,322,380 times
If you are older and rich, go for it. If you didn't give up on life yet, forget about Swiss.
Terrible police state. Surveying, checkpoints, privacy breaches... gosh. Closet Nazis mostly (the euphemism right winger is used).

You'd better be white and germanic and rich and with good connections. Ye, they will tolerate you around, but forget about real friendship with neighbors or within community.

Did I mentioned police state? No seriously, go and try to live there for year or two. Oh and try to have black/muslim friend... just for the fun, and report results about the paradise please :)

Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,373,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
No offense paul 74 but is it a rational concept to compare Switzerland to the United States? Absolutely not. Switzerland is more comparable to Colorado than the entire USA.
More comparable to Colorado than to the US as a whole. I agree, absolutely.

Still, even when compared with Colorado.....

Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul74 View Post
Message to Rainrock my studious friend. Hi - haha mmm yes my post...well I had been playing ice hockey, we won, I scored a really ace shot, and I had downed a flaggon of beer after haha, propably helped with the short sitedness of my post. lol.

(...)

You may already know that Zurich has the best quality of living index almost every year for quality of life on which also american cities are also measured. I am sure you have seen the news headlines, media etc Zurich Geneva or Vancourver world best city year on year. Which places in the states can compare, or to be specific are highly rated as an overall great place to live. I understand that it is so very diverse over there.

Drinking beer and posting. Tsk Tsk tsk

I will say that ice rink activity followed by cold beer is simply great.

Yes, Zurich rates as the (or among the top 3) best quality of living index for quality of life. No surprise there. I will say that when you state this on a forum, or in a ratings index, many people (particularly those who have never been there) will really react violently to the results. I have not seen that yet on this thread, but I also have not read the whole thread.

From what I am understanding about Zurich: lots of public "order," high rates of trust (if you leave your laptop unattended for a moment you don't need to fret about it getting swiped), extremely low levels of poverty, healthy city design. I could go on. Not a bad blueprint for small society if you ask me.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisser View Post
Paul74 point I believe was to "talk" about Switzerland etc not compare it to America. America is great! So is Switzerland, Europe, Canada all have amazing beauty and many good qualities.

Good point.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

The country is not the peaceful, neutral locale I thought it would be. All men have mandatory military service and they spend their time target shooting and deploying bombs in the mountains... seriously I heard lots of gunfire in the hills of this neutral nation.
The arms discussion is indeed interesting for this small, "neutral" nation.

Don't want to head into a WWII discussion, but when examined, Sweden and Switzerland were not truly neutral, in the true sense of the word.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,959,616 times
I visited Switzerland a few months ago, and it was absolutely amazing. Even though we were only there for a day (we were in a car and were doing a driving loop through Germany, Switz, and Austria) I will never forget the sights I saw.. We entered from the north through Schaffhausen and came down through Zurich. Walked around the city for a while - BEAUTIFUL place!! The river, clocktowers and churches are so cool and even though it was a very overcast day, I absolutely loved it. Then we went south and east past Zuger See and past Schwyz and took the road east that goes over Klausenpass. We drove over Klausenpass and took a stop at the top. Breathtaking.. The clouds persisted but it was so amazing. The town at the bottom of the west side being seen from (almost) the top is just magical. From there we continued down the pass to the east and as it got dark, got on the autobahn east then north, entering Feldkirch, Austria through Lietchtenstein.

I love Switzerland. I saw an amazing amount for just one day and have tons of pictures, but I need to spend a week there or more. It's just such an amazing place, as is Germany and Austria and Europe in general... The trip we were on was a graduation gift from my mom to take me off the continent and into Europe for just over a week, and I'll never forget it.

Once I graduate college and get things set up, I'll be planning my trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe