Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:32 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times

Advertisements

And some of us...just happen to be half Norwegian!

Ok ok...the other half is Swede...so I'm not all bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 12:35 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
The "Battle of Copenhagen"

Ten thousand Swedes ran through the weeds,
Chased by one Norwegian.
We all took snuff,
but it wasn't enough
At the battle of Copenhagen.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjukken View Post
Thank u great sites

now ill leav the computer and go out in the good weather.. 38 C here today great for this part (no clue on what that is in F )
Tjukken...on the 20th of this month...I am traveling to Sweden to meet a dear friend. I am wondering...at the Sweden/Norway border crossings...are there any signs saying "Welcome to Norway" or any kind of stripe or line signifying the actual border? Being half Swede half Norwegian...I would like to get a picture straddling the border. So each half...can be in each country?
Just wondering if you might know...

Old 06-10-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post

Chased by one Norwegian.
We all took snuff,
but it wasn't enough
I'd be willing to bet Sweden is gonna not like that ditty!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:36 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post

Chased by one Norwegian.
We all took snuff,
but it wasn't enough
Hm...*sharpening my viking-spear* Maybe you would want to...Discuss this one at a more...personal meeting...
Just wait, one day, I might go to Alaska, and I just might happen to get my hands on your adress... It's Anchorage, right?

It's good Rance, half Norweigan is bad, but half Swede makes it all ok!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:53 AM

243 posts, read 704,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Tjukken...on the 20th of this month...I am traveling to Sweden to meet a dear friend. I am wondering...at the Sweden/Norway border crossings...are there any signs saying "Welcome to Norway" or any kind of stripe or line signifying the actual border? Being half Swede half Norwegian...I would like to get a picture straddling the border. So each half...can be in each country?
Just wondering if you might know...

Hi some place u see a sign. some places its nothing. and u acctuly will not be sure if ur in sweden or norway
im not sure where its posibel to geet a picture who clearly shows that u stand in Sweden and Norway. Tho u cud spice it up and go north. if im not mistaking u cud find a spot standing in Sweden , Finland and Norway. ill search some map's on this.. (might be a good long mountain hike)

tho some like "svinesund" gues thats the south border.. its a bridge. and some like to walk over. tho some feel it to be a long bridge. Svinesund Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
persnly i like the other borders where its nothing. u just drive and sudently u se that road signs are difrent

but dont be fooled. u can be stoped in customs there too.. so be sure u got ur paipers.

The tempretures now are insane.Cant remember it ever been this hot... if im not mistaking the shadow temp we have now is higer than in sun temp im used to in the summer here...
Lots of good answers here. ill think i make sevral answers. coz it wud be confusing to take it all in one answere..

bit colder to day. looks like 37 C
http://home.online.no/~estein2/temp.jpg (broken link)

TJ..

Last edited by Tjukken; 06-10-2007 at 08:19 AM..

Old 06-10-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Tjukken - I can only speak about the South East, not knowing anything helpful about California except that it is my understanding it is another expensive area...I'm not sure if salaries fully compensate for the cost of living.

When you mention 'machinist', have you operated tooling machinery? That makes a pretty decent paycheck down here...
even assembly work...I did temp work through an agency in between 'real jobs' 10 years ago (?) and made 7-8 USD tinking around with dental implants and a microscope...horrible neck-aching job, but the minimum wage then was $3.65 or something like that.

Haven't been to Norway yet. Loved Sweden. Didn't want to leave...

Good luck to you!
I had to search to find out what tooling machinery is.
realy intresting.. how names of machines change trough languages.
yeah it appers that a "lathe" is what i call "dreibenk"
im used to work on this type of machine. tho the universial model. those who are not spesified to a few tasks. tho also not good to make big produktions.

also useed to use a "frese maskin" got no clue on english name for it. also here a universial machine. not for big produktions.

basicly i work wit just about evrything who cuts and "shaves" steel.
but not much machines for plates. just some manual ones for plates.

i ofc also use just about all hand tools. electric and air hand tools. and those oldfasion ones who is realy hand tools.

tho the troubel will ofc be that im used to work in metric.
and i wont always know the english/american name of the tool i work with.

basicly if i move i wud seriusly have to go over on a wacation and make a personal wisit to posible work places and "prove" my self the old way.

Tho i do have some good experience with produkts from Sunrise Medical.

tho the swede...
He He kanskje det svensken... dansker er altid grei og ha med og gjøra.. noen pils og dem er fornøyde

TJ..

Old 06-10-2007, 08:26 AM

tho the temp does feel high now.
i do not miss the winter. i mean its alot better sitting still in shorts and sweat like a pig. and drinking ice cold beer than meet this in the morning before u go to work.

http://home.online.no/~estein2/winter.JPG (broken link)

I know its not much snow att the time of that photo.. but thats coz its to cold to be much snow!!! some of u prob know that when the temp drops low enough it stops snowing.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:09 AM

Tjukken...if you get to hot...you can stare at the picture. I just got shivers looking at it. I could almost feel the cold!

And thank you for the border info. I will make it a point to set foot in your country.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:18 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I have one friend from Norway who lives in New York City. If I was listening clearly it didn't appear as if there is too much difference in expenses, but possibly in social services. I believe people have talked about the way in which all insurance, health, pension, life, etc. differs from most social democracies.

This difference alone makes it more expensive to live in the United States than in some European countries.

And if I understand you correctly, you are a "mechanical engineer" or "machinist" and both are viable career opportunities in the States.

fresemaskin appears to be a "milling tool" in English. I don't speak or read your language, but I do speak Dutch and some German--not similar but helpful in translations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe