Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

TARNSJO, Sweden, Oct. 8 (UPI) -- The Church of Sweden said it is preparing to open the country's first church-operated gas station near a town with no other fuel pumps.

The gas station near the village of Tarnsjo, which hasn't had its own gas station since last winter, is set for a grand opening Saturday alongside a connected convenience store, The Local reported Thursday.

Swedish church opens gas station - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:12 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
As always, stories like this give a false impression when you only read the headline.

In small communities like that, the church is the central place for people to get things done. That does absolutely NOT mean that *the church* did that.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:54 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,635 times
Mm... I'm not so sure about that. Dagens Nyheter, Aftonbladet, Sveriges Radio, ATL, Blekinge Läns tidning, SVT 1's "text tv" all say it is indeed Svenska Kyrkan (Church of Sweden) in Tärnsjö that owns and operates the gas station.
In fact, the name of the gas station - Tärnsjökorset (*the Cross of Tärnsjö") - was chosen to point out the fact that it is owned by the parish/ it's connection to "the Christian cross" (that last was a quote from one of the ministers in the parish Kyrkan öppnar mack - sr.se)

Ok, the Church didn't just open up a gas station because it wanted to, but because, as churches are kind of supposed to (I can say that - I work for the Church of Sweden), help out the community: it didn't have a gas station, and so the parish (which belongs to the Church of Sweden) decided to build and operate one.

Granted, it isn't actually "the Church of Sweden" as a whole that runs that gas station, but simply the Nora parish, which is part of the Church of Sweden. But only part of it. My parish has nothing to do with that gas station. So... ok, the Church of Sweden doesn't operate the gas station, but a branch of it. (Since the Church of Sweden is legally considered a "business" since the separation of Church and State in 2000.

(Funny how this story made it to City-Data, by the way. I read it on the TV news earlier this week, laughed about it with mom, forgot about it, and now read about it on CD...)

Old 10-10-2009, 09:50 AM

238 posts, read 729,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
As always, stories like this give a false impression when you only read the headline.

In small communities like that, the church is the central place for people to get things done. That does absolutely NOT mean that *the church* did that.
What false impression?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:03 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
First, this is not the USA so separation of Church and State may or may not apply. Unless they are denying gas to people who are not church members I don't see a problem.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:48 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,731 times
Isn't Sweden the most atheist nation in the world?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:55 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,635 times
It is... but we still have religion.
Plus close to 7 million out of the 9 million people living in Sweden are members of the Church of Sweden. (Whether they actually are believers in the Lutheran faith, or even at all active in the church is another question though...)

I think this story is a good reminder that the church is still doing things for the people in need. And not just providing the normal, traditional help, but also more modern. The Church of Sweden is needed, so stop complaining about having to pay that little taxes called "funeral fees" that really isn't any worse than having to pay for SVT eventhough you never watch the TV channels!
(Did I mention I work for the Church of Sweden, and also have a brother and friends who are all completely opposed to everything called religion?)

Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Among the (MANY) things that attract me to Europe is that Europeans, while religious, don't get as wound up about religious isues as some Americans do. For example, elected officials NEVER discuss their faith in public. You may never have a European ask you about your religion. Europeans feel that religion is a private matter, not something that is discussed with everyone you meet. I was never "witnessed to" the whole 10+ years I lived in Germany.

You go, Sweden!

Old 10-11-2009, 07:22 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Among the (MANY) things that attract me to Europe is that Europeans, while religious, don't get as wound up about religious isues as some Americans do. For example, elected officials NEVER discuss their faith in public. You may never have a European ask you about your religion. Europeans feel that religion is a private matter, not something that is discussed with everyone you meet. I was never "witnessed to" the whole 10+ years I lived in Germany.

You go, Sweden!
I get your point, but you are wrong Can't really speak for Germany though, but we have a "Christian Democratic" party that is openly religious. I'm under the impression that there's a similar one in Sweden, but i may be wrong.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:52 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

You go, Sweden!
So tell us, Chief, what's your religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe