U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:05 PM

7,212 posts, read 9,010,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
Well I'm sorry, but we are not a 3rd World country. Me and most of my friends do travel abroad to the countries like USA, Australia or New Zealand. This really displease me. When I was in the U.S., I was being asked questions like: Do you have cellphones? So Czech republic is in Russia? Do you have matches? And what do you mean about public transport along the borders? I live along the borders and the public transport is by far better than in the U.S., where it virtually doesn't exist. A lot of people use public transport just because there would be one less car to pollute the environment.

Let me sum it up - Here, in the Czech republic, we are not that economically strong as the U.S. or the UK. However, we do drive cars like Mercedes or BMW. We do go to the massage after work. We own iPhones. We listen to MP3 on way to work. We do travel abroad to Greece or Sri Lanka. We have plasma TV's at home and we wash ourselves every day.

Skidamark, I don't know if you have ever been in Europe. You might find the people in the Czech republic a little bit rude. It's rude compared to the U.S., but standard in the whole Europe. They just don't talk so much to strangers and don't smile on you that much.
To be fair, there was the Peace Corps in the Czech Republic up until about 5-6 years ago so people's perceptions are off. I still have friends who are religious and do missions in rural Czech Republic. MOST of it is nice and "modern", but there are still very impoverished parts. Similar with Slovakia- it seemed more under developed than the Czech Republic but Bratislava and other cities were very modern.

I don;t think that poster meant to offend, just that the Czech Republic has come a LONG way in the past 10-15 years and it's noted in people's mindsets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 05:39 PM

385 posts, read 1,027,331 times
I'm sorry. I know that some parts of the Czech republic are still very improvished (but where aren't on the other side - Detroit, Gary), but what made me angry was that it is a luxury for us to go abroad to learn foreign language. We are still receiving some help, especially reconstructing the crappy communist buildings. Before five, six years? Wasn't it because the major flood?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:24 AM

630 posts, read 843,117 times
Czech Republic is an Eastern European country and that tends to carry a negative tone (politically and economically) amongst Americans. However, I get the impression that CR fares well in comparison to the other East Euro countries. The central location in Europe and proximity to other economically advanced western European countries benefits CR greatly, am I wrong? I'm not really worried about my safety and economic shock in Czech Republic. I know the living standards may be lower than in the US, but I don't think they are that bad. Perhaps I should note that I'm also studying abroad in Moscow next semester before I head to CR in the summer. Moscow - now there, I am worried about my safety. But Czech Republic? Nah, my biggest concern is how racial tensions are out there. I am around enough European international students here at school, so I am used to the rudeness element and everything else that comes along with being European. But I can tell when someone is racist or just plain rude.

Dougie, I wonder where in the Czech Republic you went?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Along the borders where public transport not readily available, some ply their trade to feed the family.
Just curious, what do you mean by this? Is this something I would need to be concerned about?

Old 11-08-2009, 03:23 AM

7 posts, read 10,798 times
Hi everybody
MJay you are from Czrch republic right>?Can you please tell me if it's possible to study there in police academy?I am from Albania and i like so much your country.I would be honored to live and study there.
Thank you

Old 11-08-2009, 03:41 AM

441 posts, read 802,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Hello and ahoj,

I am second year Czech learner from the US planning out my study abroad plans for Czech Republic next summer. I am having trouble deciding on a city in the CR and I need a little input. I will not be studying in Praha, because my instructors feel I would be around too many English speakers. So I have to choose between:

Brno
Olomouc
Plzeň
České Budějovice

I have very little idea about the lifestyles of these areas, other than Brno being very urban. My biggest concern is that I am Korean, and I am worried that I would be harassed or discriminated against because of my race in some of these areas. Are one of those cities in particular very unfriendly to non-whites?

Also, I am supposed to be speaking formal Czech and not obecná čeština, so are there particular cities that speak more of it or not?

Any info would be of great help. I know it is probably better to find a forum on the CR but I'm too lazy to search and my Czech is still not that great at this point.
Čau,

If you are Korean, stay away from smaller cities. The native Czechs will tell you there is no discrimination, but I lived there 15+ years and believe me, there is. There is huge Vietnamese population in Czech, so you will be labeled as one of them with all negative connotations (weed dealers, hard working but tax evading merchants etc.). I would pick Prague being you. I don't understand the fear of English that should surround you there, it's not like majority of people can speak English and even if they can, you don't have to speak yourself, don't you?)

From other cities I would try Plzeň, since Brno is just Prague with complexes and Olomouc/České Budějovice are rather villages (exaggerating). The Czech language spoken in Brno or Olomouc are quite far away from obecná čeština, it's worse than southern US dialects compared with normal US speech.

Zdar!

Old 11-08-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
Čau,

If you are Korean, stay away from smaller cities. The native Czechs will tell you there is no discrimination, but I lived there 15+ years and believe me, there is. There is huge Vietnamese population in Czech, so you will be labeled as one of them with all negative connotations (weed dealers, hard working but tax evading merchants etc.). I would pick Prague being you. I don't understand the fear of English that should surround you there, it's not like majority of people can speak English and even if they can, you don't have to speak yourself, don't you?)

From other cities I would try Plzeň, since Brno is just Prague with complexes and Olomouc/České Budějovice are rather villages (exaggerating). The Czech language spoken in Brno or Olomouc are quite far away from obecná čeština, it's worse than southern US dialects compared with normal US speech.

Zdar!
The people I live around think, that the people from Asia are hard-working and smart. The Vietnamese are always among the best in my class. However, some people have negative feeling about them. If you don't want to be considered as Vietnamese in society, a) try to talk with South Korean accent, because your language and Vietnamese are a lot different, so the people will think you are not ''one of them''. b) Try to find some Czech friends and walk out with them. Vietnamese usually stick together. You don't see much Vietnamese - White going out together. That sucks. I'm not biased. Usually the bigger city is better. If you'll change your mind, stick with Prague.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
Čau,

Zdar!
Thank you, this is helpful.

Mjay - I am not from South Korea nor do I speak any Korean. I've been an American since birth, English is my native language, my first name is English, and I function like any other American. I'm just an ethnic Korean. I don't know if most Czechs would be able to understand that, but I just wanted to clarify I am not an immigrant to the US in case you were thinking that.

Either way, I guess I should reconsider Prague. Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Thank you, this is helpful.

Mjay - I am not from South Korea nor do I speak any Korean. I've been an American since birth, English is my native language, my first name is English, and I function like any other American. I'm just an ethnic Korean. I don't know if most Czechs would be able to understand that, but I just wanted to clarify I am not an immigrant to the US in case you were thinking that.

Either way, I guess I should reconsider Prague. Thanks everyone for the help.
Oh, I'm so sorry about that. I thought that you are Korean living in the U.S. Of course we do understand this. My teacher was an American of Japanese ethnicity. Sorry again. Prague would definitely be the best bet.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 PM

I think I'm going to go to Pilsen. The Prague program doesn't fit my schedule. Anyone have any last minute reasons against Pilsen? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe