Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM

441 posts, read 1,322,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I think I'm going to go to Pilsen. The Prague program doesn't fit my schedule. Anyone have any last minute reasons against Pilsen? lol
It's the best choice from the cities you listed language-wise.

It's rather small city, so no crime and stuff but not much to do. It's close to Germany, that's a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:53 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,318,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
It's the best choice from the cities you listed language-wise.

It's rather small city, so no crime and stuff but not much to do. It's close to Germany, that's a plus.
lol Yeah, but I guess anything outside Prague could be boring. Oh well...and I do have a relative living Stuttgart. Is there public transportation, such as a train, that goes from Pilsen to cities in Nemecko?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:55 AM

441 posts, read 1,322,035 times
Quote:
lol Yeah, but I guess anything outside Prague could be boring. Oh well...and I do have a relative living Stuttgart. Is there public transportation, such as a train, that goes from Pilsen to cities in Nemecko?
Yes, but there is no high speed corridor from Pilsen, so count with 6+ hours of travel.

More on IDOS - Vlaky + Autobusy - VyhledánÃ* spojenÃ*

Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 AM

21 posts, read 133,580 times
Quote:
Hello and ahoj,

I am second year Czech learner from the US planning out my study abroad plans for Czech Republic next summer. I am having trouble deciding on a city in the CR and I need a little input. I will not be studying in Praha, because my instructors feel I would be around too many English speakers. So I have to choose between:

Brno
Olomouc
Plzeň
České Budějovice

I have very little idea about the lifestyles of these areas, other than Brno being very urban. My biggest concern is that I am Korean, and I am worried that I would be harassed or discriminated against because of my race in some of these areas. Are one of those cities in particular very unfriendly to non-whites?

Also, I am supposed to be speaking formal Czech and not obecná čeÅ¡tina, so are there particular cities that speak more of it or not?

Any info would be of great help. I know it is probably better to find a forum on the CR but I'm too lazy to search and my Czech is still not that great at this point.
Ahoj Skidamarink
I spent six weeks at the Technical University of Liberec in the Czech Republic this year and I can confidently say that at no time did I feel discriminated against, in fact on our first day in rainy Prostejov we were given a rousing warm welcome by the locals (at the pub of course). Liberec is an hour by bus from Cerny Most in Praha and the university a further 30 minute walk from Liberec Station.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:49 AM

101 posts, read 761,946 times
I'm currently studying in Prague but I do have friends who moved to Brno and they love it. Although not as cosmopolitan as Prague, Brno is relatively quite advanced. The people seem to be much more friendly. I think Plzen is also quite a friendly place coz it's a university city too. And I have a few friends studying in Olomouc, who hate being there because it's too quiet (for the most part) and not as vibrant as Brno or Prague. They're also known for their stinky cheese.

and to the poster above who mentioned that the Moravians are nicer than the Bohemians, I quite agree. Prague is an entirely different city...it's like any other big cities...people are too busy to bother about others; you find people of almost every race and yes, it would be hard if you really want to master Czech. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2009, 02:43 AM

10 posts, read 26,283 times
I have been in Czech Rep. I had trip there. What I saw can't say anything bad about it.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreypete View Post
I'm currently studying in Prague but I do have friends who moved to Brno and they love it. Although not as cosmopolitan as Prague, Brno is relatively quite advanced. The people seem to be much more friendly. I think Plzen is also quite a friendly place coz it's a university city too. And I have a few friends studying in Olomouc, who hate being there because it's too quiet (for the most part) and not as vibrant as Brno or Prague. They're also known for their stinky cheese.

and to the poster above who mentioned that the Moravians are nicer than the Bohemians, I quite agree. Prague is an entirely different city...it's like any other big cities...people are too busy to bother about others; you find people of almost every race and yes, it would be hard if you really want to master Czech. Good luck!
Yeah, I'd like to visit Prague but for studying purposes I kinda ruled it out to begin with.

I have heard about the Moravian vs. Bohemian thing. Quite amusing.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,446 times
You've made the right choice, Plzen is the best place for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreypete View Post
They're also known for their stinky cheese.
LMAO But you're right. Places smaller than Plzen tend to be boring.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:41 PM

101 posts, read 761,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryGuy View Post
Places smaller than Plzen tend to be boring.
like Olomouc lol All my friends say it's way too boring to study there. It's so drab and reminded one of them of Slovakia.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 PM

What's wrong with Slovakia? lol Too poor for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe