Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:42 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times

Advertisements

Hello and ahoj,

I am second year Czech learner from the US planning out my study abroad plans for Czech Republic next summer. I am having trouble deciding on a city in the CR and I need a little input. I will not be studying in Praha, because my instructors feel I would be around too many English speakers. So I have to choose between:

Brno
Olomouc
Plzeň
České Budějovice

I have very little idea about the lifestyles of these areas, other than Brno being very urban. My biggest concern is that I am Korean, and I am worried that I would be harassed or discriminated against because of my race in some of these areas. Are one of those cities in particular very unfriendly to non-whites?

Also, I am supposed to be speaking formal Czech and not obecná čeÅ¡tina, so are there particular cities that speak more of it or not?

Any info would be of great help. I know it is probably better to find a forum on the CR but I'm too lazy to search and my Czech is still not that great at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 03:01 PM

383 posts, read 1,590,070 times
Hi skidamarink,

I'm from the Czech republic!

First of all, we have a large population from Asia (especially Vietnam and China). I have never heard of any Asian being discriminated. Asian people here are considered as smart, hard working people. You shouldn't have any problems. However, nerds are in every country.

Brno is the largest city in the region of Moravia, famous for it's wine. I am sure that people in the region of Moravia are in general more friendly. Brno is a larger city with all larger city amenities.

I don't really know much about Olomouc. It's not that big, so if you prefer larger cities, I don't recommend Olomouc.

Plzeň. I live very close to Plzeň. I simply love it. It's got that historical feel the most from all the cities on your list I think. It's also very close to German borders, so you could enjoy Munich and other large cities in a two and half our drive and Alps in five hour drive.

České Budějovice are in Southern region, which is my favorite region for nature. It also has one of the most beautiful castles in Central Europe. It's visually the prettiest city from those you listed.

If you prefer the largest, stick with Brno. If you like history, Plzeň is the best. If you like to explore the Czech republic and Austria, České Budějovice is the best spot. If you prefer smaller town living, go with Olomouc.

I don't understand the question about obecná čeština. I have never heard this term.

Why are learning Czech if you don't mind me asking?

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Měj se pěkně,

Jay

Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 PM

Also, see this gallery. It shows not only the touristy areas of the Czech rep., but also the typical Czech rep. It's Prague and Brno photos.

Prague & Brno - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times
Dekujeme vam, Jay. That was very helpful. My teacher doesn't speak very good English and I think she's a little too biased toward studying in her own hometown, so it's hard to get advice from her. Right now, I am thinking Plzeň or Olomouc. The letni skola in Plzeň has more accommodating dates, but I'm afraid Plzeň is too...German? I need to study in a place that feels Czech, not German.

As for the obecná čeština, read here:

http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obecná_čeština

My teacher was going over this and how much she hates colloquial Czech. She says I need to learn formal Czech.

Oh, as for why I am studying Czech....I am majoring in Russian here at my university and part of the curriculum requires a minor in another language or related discipline, so I figured I would study another Slavic language. Nebraska, where I go to school, has the largest population of Czech-Americans. But sadly, most of them do not speak Czech. It is a rarely spoken language amongst Americans and only about 7 universities in the entire USA offer Czech beyond the third-year level.

Dekujeme vam, once again.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I really liked Olomouc. I was only there briefly on a tour of Central and Eastern Europe while studying abroad in England, but I thought it was sweet. Plus, the nicest hotel I stayed at in all of Europe because it was so cheap. The cost of living is so different than Prague (which I loved as well, but not where you'd want to go for the all Czech experience). I found that most people did speak a bit of English at least but it wouldn't be overbearing for you. There's also a pretty large university there so plenty of people your own age to hang out with.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:24 AM

Skidamarink, I think that obecná čeština would be more spoken in Olomouc. Pilsen is a college town as well, but in Olomouc there is more students per 100 people.

All historical cities are a bit German, but there's nothing to worry about. Where you'll hear German the most is where I live, in Cheb, which is only 20 miles from the borders. You will sure hear German in both Olomouc and Pilsen, but it's not spoken commonly here. In both, you are going to hear 90 - 95% Czech.

Also, I don't know if you have ever heard about this Arion fountain - Olomouc website. It might give you an idea how both Pilsen and Olomouc look like.

Jay

Old 11-07-2009, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 16,587 times
HI everybody
I'm interested to start studing in police academy.I have finnished high school in Albania where i still live.Is possible to study in Czech Republic? If anyone of you knows something please tell me.
thank you

Old 11-07-2009, 12:03 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times
I felt safe when I was in Chech Republic in 2006.
Like most previous eastern bloc countries, there are parts of the countries that have not been rebuilt after the last war. What I'm trying to say is these people have magnificent culture and proud history; the cost of opportunity under the communist has had its toll, hence frustrated and angry youth. Be very kind, considerate and generous. If someone is to go that extra mile to help you, compensate him generously. Young people there do not have the luxury of crossing the ocean to learn a new language.
Along the borders where public transport not readily available, some ply their trade to feed the family.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
I felt safe when I was in Chech Republic in 2006.
Like most previous eastern bloc countries, there are parts of the countries that have not been rebuilt after the last war. What I'm trying to say is these people have magnificent culture and proud history; the cost of opportunity under the communist has had its toll, hence frustrated and angry youth. Be very kind, considerate and generous. If someone is to go that extra mile to help you, compensate him generously. Young people there do not have the luxury of crossing the ocean to learn a new language.
Along the borders where public transport not readily available, some ply their trade to feed the family.
Well I'm sorry, but we are not a 3rd World country. Me and most of my friends do travel abroad to the countries like USA, Australia or New Zealand. This really displease me. When I was in the U.S., I was being asked questions like: Do you have cellphones? So Czech republic is in Russia? Do you have matches? And what do you mean about public transport along the borders? I live along the borders and the public transport is by far better than in the U.S., where it virtually doesn't exist. A lot of people use public transport just because there would be one less car to pollute the environment.

Let me sum it up - Here, in the Czech republic, we are not that economically strong as the U.S. or the UK. However, we do drive cars like Mercedes or BMW. We do go to the massage after work. We own iPhones. We listen to MP3 on way to work. We do travel abroad to Greece or Sri Lanka. We have plasma TV's at home and we wash ourselves every day.

Skidamark, I don't know if you have ever been in Europe. You might find the people in the Czech republic a little bit rude. It's rude compared to the U.S., but standard in the whole Europe. They just don't talk so much to strangers and don't smile on you that much.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:03 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times
MJay, where in my post did you read that I compared CR unfavorably or putting it down as 3rd world? I know you guys are wealthy. Where I live we drive GMs and Fords.
I've come across an international exchange student who wanted to meet locals to improve his language skill for free and then at the same time charge them for teaching them jujitsu. With regards to the borders, it is a touchy topic and with due respect I don't want to dwell on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe