Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricownage View Post
Even the important ones, like London and Paris, have no skylines, compared to much less important Asian cities like Kuala Lumpur
I would guess the historic aspect. You have to dig deep into the ground to get a good enough foundation for a high-rise. That's easy to do when there no major buildings nearby, but Europe's architecture is dense and old.

Or maybe they're just less ostentatious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I think the older buildings are so much more beautiful than the phalluses you americans seem so fond of.

So this big turning phallus in Malmo, Sweden is a figment of my imagination? Probably because my American brain has been so indoctrinated.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 PM

57 posts, read 213,398 times
no skyscrapers = more spread out, less centralized = less concentrated areas of excitement + more travel time

Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I think, when European want to see skyscrapers - they travel to America.

Back home, they appreciate the charm and mystery of their old, historical cities, the magnificent beauty of architectural ensemble, the outstanding quality made by some of Europe's finest architects, sculptors and painters, the distinct cityscape shaped by all the great stylistic epochs. Maximizing comfort and convenience has never been a part of their world-view.

They want the safe, lively parks and neighborhoods, the 120-year-old cafes, the Gothic cathedrals, restaurants which reflect the chef's personality and no-one else's, the fine regional orchestras, art-house cinemas and the gleaming, sophisticated museums.
To them, not having to own a car is a kind of liberation. They want to preserve such valuable items so as future generations appreciate their unique qualities and continue the important role of protecting them in perpetuity.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:36 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think, when European want to see skyscrapers - they travel to America.

Back home, they appreciate the charm and mystery of their old, historical cities, the magnificent beauty of architectural ensemble, the outstanding quality made by some of Europe's finest architects, sculptors and painters, the distinct cityscape shaped by all the great stylistic epochs. Maximizing comfort and convenience has never been a part of their world-view.

They want the safe, lively parks and neighborhoods, the 120-year-old cafes, the Gothic cathedrals, restaurants which reflect the chef's personality and no-one else's, the fine regional orchestras, art-house cinemas and the gleaming, sophisticated museums.
To them, not having to own a car is a kind of liberation. They want to preserve such valuable items so as future generations appreciate their unique qualities and continue the important role of protecting them in perpetuity.
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9855/merihakahelsinkiinwinte.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-19-2009 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 08:23 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post

So this big turning phallus in Malmo, Sweden is a figment of my imagination? Probably because my American brain has been so indoctrinated.
That is a horrible example of modern architecture.
And yes there are beautiful skyscrapers,but not so many good examples in this thread.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:17 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
That is a horrible example of modern architecture.
And yes there are beautiful skyscrapers,but not so many good examples in this thread.
Agreed. But it serves as a very pointed reminder that bad architecture can be found anywhere-not just America.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM

114 posts, read 308,765 times
I disagree. Many skyscrapers are as beautiful as many historic buildings. It is just stunning to see their height and the reflections in the thousands of windows... And in the hot summers here there could be nothing better than the shadow of these towers.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 AM

304 posts, read 782,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arny View Post
Why do many asian cities have spectacular skylines ?
Simply because they have been looked down upon by european countries and America for decades and even more, but as they've experienced a tremendous economic growth, they just wanted to tell white people "hey, you guys are gonna have to count on us too from now on because ours is as big as yours now".
decades is not that long. i think only recently (past couple hundred years), europe went ahead of asia, persia.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Such high buildings may look nice from a distance, on photos, and at night. But one feels small and lost when walking among those towers.

São Paulo also has laws limiting such buildings to a certain height. But they have an ocean of towers just below that limit, so it is like a mix of American and European, lots of towers, but spread out over a vast area.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-03-2009 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: copyrighted image removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe