Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:58 PM

202 posts, read 567,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
Poland and the Czech republic have government corruption and organized crime? Since when? Romania has some government corruption, but nothing dramatic. Oh, and why do you classify all post-communism countries as Eastern European. The Czech republic has been considered as a central European country for more than a thousand years, but now, because of 40 years in communism, we are an Eastern European country?
Okay, first thing: I meant NO offense and sincerely apologize for any offense given. I'm serious, I have absolutely nothing but respect for *any* people who could have survived what you went through, and have been able to recover as quickly as you have. That goes for Poland, Romania and all the other former Soviet-Bloc nations. ("Soviet-Bloc" is probably what I should have used instead of "Eastern European".)

Second thing: I personally doubt that doing business in Poland, Czech Republic or Romania is as dangerous as some say. However, it's not just *my* money and time that's to be invested, and there is a perception - right or wrong - that it can be pretty risky. You can thank the various local mafias for that, and the stories that come out of Russia about how foreign investors and entrepreneurs get screwed, even murdered, on a fairly regular basis.

So there you go. Please believe when I say I'm not trying to judge or be malicious. I'm just letting you know about the feedback I receive when I talk to my partners or potential investors about starting a business there. It sucks and it's unfair, but that's how it is here. That said, if you have some hard data you can point me to, that would help me change these perceptions, I would be very grateful.

Again, please accept my apologies for the offense. It really was unintentional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 PM

698 posts, read 1,508,990 times
Well I can tell you that Prague in the Czech Republic is not violent or corrupt in the least. In fact it would probably be a great place to start a business due to it being filled with travelers from all over the world(I believe it is the second most visited city in Europe behind Paris), and it is relatively inexpensive compared to the countries out west. In fact I would say that a majority of U.S. cities are more expensive than Prague. It's a great location and its only going to get better. Great quality of life and low cost, I am quite surprised that Prague does not get more play in the U.S.A. As for Mafia... well they exist throughout Europe not just the east.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:19 PM

61,641 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
Actually, my personal choice was Romania, followed by Czech Rep. and Poland. However, we decided that Eastern Europe is too risky for the first location, due to government corruption and organized crime.
I'm still determined to eventually open in Romania, though.
I would like to hear about the "government corruption and organized crime" in Czech Republic and Poland and why you excluded those two countries from the rest of the world....

Old 01-16-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would like to hear about the "government corruption and organized crime" in Czech Republic and Poland and why you excluded those two countries from the rest of the world....
Elnina, please read my last post.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Elnina, please read my last post.
No problem, and I agree that doing business in Russia seems to be more than a bit risky. I don't know much about how Bulgaria and Romania are doing, they are not in the news, and so far I know they are not doing to great. But I disagree with you regarding Czech Republic and Poland.
Czech Republic, Slovenia, Hungary, Poland, and some of the former Soviet republics on the Baltic Sea are doing surprising good - actually they survived recession way better than countries like Germany or France.

Home -- U.S. Commercial Service Poland
Doing Business in Poland -- U.S. Commercial Service Poland :

" Poland has proven to be a very attractive location for U.S. investors. We estimate that more than 350 U.S. firms now have offices, factories, subsidiaries or joint ventures operating in Poland. Poland is drawing billions of dollars in new investment every year as U.S. and other foreign firms seek to take advantage of Poland's large population and location in the heart of Europe. As a NATO and European Union member, Poland has a proven record of political stability and commitment to free market principles. There is a broad consensus across political lines that welcomes foreign direct investment, and the government offers many incentives to attract new firms that can bring capital, technology and jobs to Poland."
and
Home -- U.S. Commercial Service Czech Republic

Old 01-17-2010, 01:48 PM

That's exactly the kind of info I need, so THANK YOU! Like I said previously, my preference is to be in one of the former Soviet Bloc countries, if for no other reason that it's less expensive there. But also because - at least in my experience - the people there seem to be a bit more open to new things, not so deeply rooted in traditions that they become inflexible.

It's similar here in Texas: we've had many companies from California, New York, etc. relocate here because the cost of doing business is so much cheaper, the quality of life is generally good, and we try our best to accomodate newcomers. Of course, we do have our fair share of problems.

Hopefully, we can discover the real facts about where we'll locate, instead of relying on misperceptions and rumors.

Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:02 PM

383 posts, read 1,589,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No problem, and I agree that doing business in Russia seems to be more than a bit risky. I don't know much about how Bulgaria and Romania are doing, they are not in the news, and so far I know they are not doing to great. But I disagree with you regarding Czech Republic and Poland.
Czech Republic, Slovenia, Hungary, Poland, and some of the former Soviet republics on the Baltic Sea are doing surprising good - actually they survived recession way better than countries like Germany or France.

Home -- U.S. Commercial Service Poland
Doing Business in Poland -- U.S. Commercial Service Poland :

" Poland has proven to be a very attractive location for U.S. investors. We estimate that more than 350 U.S. firms now have offices, factories, subsidiaries or joint ventures operating in Poland. Poland is drawing billions of dollars in new investment every year as U.S. and other foreign firms seek to take advantage of Poland's large population and location in the heart of Europe. As a NATO and European Union member, Poland has a proven record of political stability and commitment to free market principles. There is a broad consensus across political lines that welcomes foreign direct investment, and the government offers many incentives to attract new firms that can bring capital, technology and jobs to Poland."
and
Home -- U.S. Commercial Service Czech Republic
Thank you for including the link for Czech republic, elnina. You should have also include, that Polish people are very nice and both Polish and Czech countryside are lovely.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:19 PM

My only complaint about Czech Republic is that's there's no coastline. Are there good lakes for sailing and fishing? Are these sports popular there?

Old 01-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
Thank you for including the link for Czech republic, elnina. You should have also include, that Polish people are very nice and both Polish and Czech countryside are lovely.
Yes, I could, but since I myself come from Poland, it would sound to much of a bragging lol

Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 AM

383 posts, read 1,589,845 times
Quote:
My only complaint about Czech Republic is that's there's no coastline. Are there good lakes for sailing and fishing? Are these sports popular there?
Fishing is extremely popular over here. In most lakes, ponds and rivers fishing is allowed. If you would like to sail, the Lipno lake, which is in Šumava National Park and is known location for sailors throughout the Czech Republic, Germany and Austria. There is a lot of sailing clubs around the Czech Republic. The Lipno is in Southern Bohemia, only 10 minutes from Austrian borders. For recreation I would choose Máchovo jezero, which is in Central Bohemia, not far from Prague.

Moderator cut: copyrighted images removed

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-18-2010 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe