Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:47 PM

202 posts, read 568,198 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Which European country do you think is best for starting a business, i.e. reasonable taxes and labor laws, minimal red tape, etc.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 04:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,510,776 times
Certainly England and I also would say Holland,but England is the better

Old 12-09-2009, 02:44 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
As for western Europe, yes, probably the UK. I do not think the Netherlands is a good choice for a start up mainly because of taxes. However, the Netherlands offers favorable conditions for huge global corporations setting up a headquarters there.

For Europe in general, try Slovakia or Estonia (well, at least before the crash) or perhaps Croatia, even Serbia.

There are surveys published each year that score business conditions in countries throughout the world, I forget by whom, but check The Economist for references to the most recent such survey or do a Google search.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
Hi all,

Which European country do you think is best for starting a business, i.e. reasonable taxes and labor laws, minimal red tape, etc.

Thanks
The nature of the business could make a difference.

But I'm not sure than any answer you get now will necessarily be of much use until the present economic crisis abates.

You cannot be sure what laws and taxes might be changed, what markets might no longer exist, what labor force conditions will be like, how fast consumer spending will escalate, etc., etc.

All that aside for the moment, I would think that the eastern countries of the EU might be good ones to investigate...the Baltics, Slovenia, Croatia. And even Serbia and Kossovo.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:09 AM

66 posts, read 91,902 times
Right now, none.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,920 times
If you are not an EU citizen, you will need to qualify for an Entrepreneur's visa - different countries will have different requirements eg for the UK you need at least £200,000 in start-up capital and your business must provide employment for at least 2 UK/EU citizens. Check out the embassy websites of the various countries for the details.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:07 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Denmark and Estonia were listed as high economic-freedom, but I don't know if that's still true. I avoided Ireland and Iceland due to their meltdowns.

List of countries by economic freedom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-11-2009, 07:03 AM

29 posts, read 115,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Denmark and Estonia were listed as high economic-freedom, but I don't know if that's still true. I avoided Ireland and Iceland due to their meltdowns.

List of countries by economic freedom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it is pretty controversial. I mean look at China, it is 132nd, yet it is extremely attractive in the matters of business.
Starting business in Denmark is extremely expensive.
Estonia is ok, tho. I believe most of the Eastern Europe would be a good choice.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:14 AM

202 posts, read 568,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilsk View Post
I believe most of the Eastern Europe would be a good choice.
Actually, my personal choice was Romania, followed by Czech Rep. and Poland. However, we decided that Eastern Europe is too risky for the first location, due to government corruption and organized crime. I'm not 100% convinced this is the case, but my partners are more cautious.

I'm still determined to eventually open in Romania, though.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 AM

29 posts, read 115,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
Actually, my personal choice was Romania, followed by Czech Rep. and Poland. However, we decided that Eastern Europe is too risky for the first location, due to government corruption and organized crime. I'm not 100% convinced this is the case, but my partners are more cautious.

I'm still determined to eventually open in Romania, though.
you have missed out Slovenia. Well, it is usually considered Central Europe, or East Central Europe, but I would classify it as Eastern.
a great peacefull country with quite low level of corruption
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe