Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 PM

207 posts, read 807,571 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I read through these posts and I have a few questions. Which Scando country would offer the same scenery as Colorado, low crime rates, culture, (not looking for a job as I am retired), has decent weather and alot of sun,(not looking for Seattle, Portland weather)? Also, what cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 05:44 PM

9 posts, read 18,577 times
I think Bergen, Norway would be the best for you. Norway has the most scenery like Colorado, like Mountains and lakes and forests, Norway has a good culture with the Viking spirit Problem will be the sun as it is in Northern Europe and Bergen is quite rainy if thats a problem. You should avoid Oslo it has a higher crime rate than New York!!! Mainly because of Muslim immigrants.

If you want sun the sunniest Scandinavian nation would be Finland, further east the less wet and less cloudy is the general rule in Europe, although the further east the colder it gets in winter. So yeah I would try Bergen, it meets most of your criteria or you could try.. Turku in Finland?

Enjoy your retirement mate

Last edited by Seany Boy; 12-09-2009 at 05:54 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 PM

594 posts, read 1,196,222 times
I would recommend either Copenhagen, Denmark or Sweden.

Denmark & Southern Sweden has the mildest winter in Scandinavia.

Stay away from Norway and Finland. Boring, very cold and lack of Sunshine.
Bergen, Norway is the rainiest city in Europe. Much rainier than Seattle and Portland!!
It's also boring there. Oslo is way too cold and less sunshine.

Sweden is by far the most popolous country & largest in Scandinavia.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:22 PM

Denmark is a relatively flat country as is Southern Sweden if you want climate then say good bye to the scenery... and Denmark and Sweden are still rainy... My mum works on the Fire & Ice cruises, Norway is the most beautiful Scandinavian country and it aint boring

Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,265,406 times
Colorado is a lot drier than Norway (and lacks lakes which Norway has in abundance), but all things considered, it is the closest to what I gather you are looking for. Danmark and Sweden are rather flat.

ABQConvict

Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 PM

594 posts, read 1,196,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany Boy View Post
Denmark is a relatively flat country as is Southern Sweden if you want climate then say good bye to the scenery... and Denmark and Sweden are still rainy... My mum works on the Fire & Ice cruises, Norway is the most beautiful Scandinavian country and it aint boring
Denmark is flat, but Sweden is a very large country with very different geography, climate, architecture etc.
Northern Sweden is mountains, hilly etc. like Colorado.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Northern Sweden is also a lot colder with less sun, which was your orginal point about choosing Sweden over Norway, the north also has hardly any people with no main settlements, unless you include Santa

Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,904,791 times
If you are retired, you are likely to have great difficulty in obtaining a resident's visa. I would check that out before falling in love with any of these countries.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:30 AM

6,464 posts, read 8,155,008 times
Quote:
You should avoid Oslo it has a higher crime rate than New York!!! Mainly because of Muslim immigrants.
Yes, Oslo is a very dangerous city

Quote:
If you want sun the sunniest Scandinavian nation would be Finland, further east the less wet and less cloudy is the general rule in Europe, although the further east the colder it gets in winter. So yeah I would try Bergen, it meets most of your criteria or you could try.. Turku in Finland?
Finland is not a Scandinavian country.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,640,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-666 View Post
If you are retired, you are likely to have great difficulty in obtaining a resident's visa. I would check that out before falling in love with any of these countries.
Can we spell "Bye, bye Norway"? Because Norway's the hardest of the three Scandinavian countries for non-Nordic citizens.

It is pretty much impossible (never say never, eventhough that's what I'm actually thinking) to find a place in either Sweden, Norway or Denmark that has a) same scenery as Colorado, b) decent weather and a lot of sun.
(The other criterias are easy to find pretty much everywhere.)

This is northern Europe. It's cold and damp and rainy. If you're lucky, you might get a week of consequtive sunshine maybe once in the summer in southern Sweden these days. (I haven't seen the sun since mid November, btw.)
So... How important is weather and scenery? Is it doable to live without one or the other, and if so, which one's the most important?

If scenery is most important (VISA- problems aside), then Norway is probably the first choice. But northern Sweden has lots of mountains as well, so...
If weather is most important... Ah, I don't know. Probably not Norway anyway. Rains there more often than in Sweden/Denmark (because of the gulf current).
Other than that... I'll resort to national pride. Pick Sweden. Also the easiest for a non-Nordic/non-EU/non-European citizen to move to of the three.
Any city but Göteborg. Jönköping and Huskvarna are really nice.

Do you have any chance obtaining a VISA for any of the Scandinavian countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe