U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you like to move to Europe?
Yes 162 66.67%
No 51 20.99%
I like where I live. 30 12.35%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2010, 08:19 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,258,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hmmm....hmm...

I have lived in Europe before...I'm from the U.S.

The first time was BUDAPEST HUNGARY...I moved there after I taught English in Korea for a year. I only lasted two months in Budapest, before I moved on to South America. Basically the reason I left was because I found Hungarians too insular. Very few spoke any English, and I learned later that Hungarian was the most remote language of any European language. So it goes both ways that few people end up learning Hungarian, and most Hungarians have a real hard time learning a non-Hungarian language as well.

I also found that people had a lot of ignorant stereotypes of Americans that I wasn't ready to take on. I have a calm nature and I am not overweight, so I was continously told that I didn't seem like the typical American. When I asked what was the typical American, they often pointed to their fellow europeans who were eating and drinking and dining in the streets and being loud all day in big groups on their vacations. Apparently the louder and bigger they were, according to the Hungarians, the more likely it was an American. Sigh. Whenever I 'tested out their theory' on these groups, they were never Americans. I hardly met any Americans actually, except for a few young out of college ones who were anything but that stereotype.

I also found the bars and nightlife dull. I'd just come from Korea, and everytime I went anywhere in Korea, I had a lot of fun. In Hungary, I found that as soon as people found out I wasn't Hungarian, then any interest immediately stopped. It makes sense, but exact opposite of Korea, where they see you aren't Korean, and a million questions come at you.

Anyways, I left Budapest and went to South America, loved it there, and later went to New York City and loved it there, and later went back to Korea.

THEN...I decided to try SPAIN. I loved South America, I like spanish-speaking people in NYC. I would like to learn more Spanish again...plus would be cool to be in a european country without the immense language barrier I had in Budapest.

So, off I went, to VALENCIA, SPAIN. Again, I found the people provincial. The supermarkets dull. The people were nowhere as cool as Latin Americans. I DID like that the cities were dense though. But hated that everything closed for a few hours during the middle of the day. Mostly it just made me seriously miss South America which was filled with a ton of really interesting people and interesting mixes of cultures - I spend most of time in Brazil in South America, but went all over that continent.

So, in general, I much prefer South America, North America, and Asia to Europe by far.

But...occassionally...I do think of Europe from the density aspect. I like the pedestrian-friendly cities of Europe. I never found myself that interested in the people or foods though. Funny how whenever I was in Europe, I would quickly gravitate to anything Asia or South American. But when I am in Asia, I have no interest whatsoever when I see something European.

All of that being said...of the places I did visit in Europe...I liked GALWAY IRELAND a lot. I think I could live in Ireland. I know I wouldnt want to live in Spain again. Italy is still interesting to me. I liked the scooter culture of Italy. I'm also a bit curious about Greece as that is a country I didn't get a chance to see. Anyways, Europe always seems really nice 'in the mind', but twice experiencing the realities of living there, and I think otherwise.

Additionally, the U.S. has a ton of what Europe offers and a lot more. I really dislike the sprawl, suburbs, strip mall side of America - and that is prevalent everywhere. But the pockets of 'cool' spots in America can really make up for it. Those oasis places really stand out as much more interesting places to live. I'm thinking of cities like San Francisco, New Orleans French Quarter, San Diego, Miami & Fort Lauderdale, Santa Fe, Portland Oregon, etc. on and on.
What do you do for a living? You travel a lot it sounds like fun.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,486,591 times
I've posted on this topic before but I'd like to say that while I definitely would consider a move to Europe, the issue is working there legally. Since I'm a US citizen, it would be tough for m to get a work visa from what I've heard and been told. The only country I could think of moving to would be Spain since I'm pretty good with Spanish. But Spain's economy is not too good now.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,423,708 times
is this a permanent thing?

I would love to move to Europe and experience it for a few years.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,399,500 times
I wouldn't mind spending a few years in Europe, but eventually I would move back to Texas.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:52 AM

242 posts, read 446,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hmmm....hmm...

I have lived in Europe before...I'm from the U.S.
Thanks for the detailed post. Did you visit any other European cities while there? I'm most interested in Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, France, and Germany. I don't have as positive of an impression of Hungary or Spain (aside from there being nice beaches).

I agree there are some nice places in the US, but you need some serious dough to make it. When you drive out of these pockets of niceness, you can often be surrounded by bland or deteriorating places. The wealth gap is just too much in the US now, with any area remotely nice out of most people's league. Then I have to think about what would happen to me living in the US if I were to suddenly lose my job, how will my children make it there, etc.

I live in Japan now as well. I like it here more than the boring suburban US city I was from, and I like that there is less of a wealth gap, so most people I pass seem about equal to myself. It's also harder to flaunt wealth here, aside from name brand items. My home city you can see stark contrasts between extremely wealthy neighborhoods and run down ones within 10-15 minutes of driving. Homeless people also could be found throughout the city, not just downtown. Many lived in the woods, then wandered to suburban strip malls/convenience stores to do their panhandling.

Anyway, if I moved back to the US, it'd likely be California and with great confidence I'll be able to survive on my own. Otherwise, I'm looking at northern Europe or Canada if I were to move again. I hate living on debt, so I like that northern European countries pay for most of the advanced education (for my kids if I had any) and generally people are able to live nice lives without acquiring massive debts as average Americans have to do now.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,263 times
I'd love to live in Europe. Probably London.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,702,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I just got back from Europe. I visited Amsterdam and Barcelona. After that visit, not only do I not want to live in Europe, but someone would have to pay me to go back.

Amsterdam was just boring. My boyfriend and I were staying 1 street over from the red light district (I am trying to remember the hotel name.....Something Palace). If you aren't into smoking pot or picking up prostitutes in the red light district, the city doesn't have much to offer. My boyfriend has been there three times now because he likes the pot and the architecture. I just thought they were old buildings on the brink of falling over (a lot of them tilt about 5-10%). The sex show was pretty interesting, but there was only 1 good looking couple of the three that performed.

Barcelona was just a huge headache. At least in Amsterdam, I could communicate with people. There were three times during my four days there that I needed medicine. Once for a headache, once for aid with sleep (jet lag had me messed up), and another time because of stomach issues. We were right near the center area (La Rambla I think it is called) and no place was open during any of the times that I needed these things. In Florida, just about every neighborhood has a 24/7 CVS or Walgreens where we can get basic goods. Spain does not. I tried speaking spanish with a help book I had, but most people still couldn't understand me. Spaniards work very different hours that I just couldn't get down right.

I won't vent about everything that I didn't like about both places. Ultimately, you need an open mind to go to a different country. Though I am very liberal, I don't have an open mind to being in atmospheres not similar to my own. My boyfriend speaks 5 languages and the only one i'll stay in the room for is English. Europe may work for some people, but not myself.

Many people here are saying they want to move to Spain. Do you all realize that Spain has a GDP per capita right between Mexico's and America's, and an unemployment rate during good times of around 10 percent?
Sounds very strange since most pharmacies are open from 9 to 9, especially in big cities like Barcelona. By the way, if no one understood you is not their problem, you were in their country so you should have spoken their language or at least didn't expect people to be fluent in English.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 AM

4,995 posts, read 5,124,860 times
No, I would not. Europe has too many issues to count. I'd much rather deal with my own country's issues and stay where I know best. I've been to France before and it wasn't anything that special and certainly didn't create a lasting impression on me. Especially after my camera was stolen on the subway by some pickpocketer. Ever since then, I have vowed never to return to France again. I will visit different areas of Europe hopefully in the future. But as living goes, I don't think so.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:26 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,259,673 times
I would like to live in Europe particularly in Northern Europe because of the efficiency aspect - everything works so well and is on time: trains, roads, etc. It's a joy to ride trains and subways in Europe

Old 01-14-2010, 11:52 AM

2,030 posts, read 1,916,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
No, I would not. Europe has too many issues to count. I'd much rather deal with my own country's issues and stay where I know best. I've been to France before and it wasn't anything that special and certainly didn't create a lasting impression on me. Especially after my camera was stolen on the subway by some pickpocketer. Ever since then, I have vowed never to return to France again. I will visit different areas of Europe hopefully in the future. But as living goes, I don't think so.
Uh huh. So there are no pickpockets or muggers in the US?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.