U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 AM

161 posts, read 481,221 times

Advertisements

Our family will be relocating next spring and we are trying to determine where to go. Italy (Sicily) is an option as is Spain (Cadiz). What are the people like? How is travel to other places? Weather, safety, food, cost of living compared to the east coast of the U.S.? Thanks for your thoughts, ideas and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM

175 posts, read 269,436 times
Well, both are Southern options , I mean, a lot of sun, nice beaches and, maybe, some differences with the North of both countries in other fields. About economy, for example: in here, North is richer than Cadiz and Sicily, and I would say that safer too. Cadiz is a pretty town (you can see it in the next movie of Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise, Knight & Day) with a good climate (weather and human climate) but,you know, Maroc is near to the south coast ( Gibraltar Strait is 14 kms long) and, not in the town, but there are lot of ilegal aliens from Africa in South Spain for agriculture (inmigration had been awful last years). Well, to tell the truth, nowadays inmigration falls down a little.

About cost of living, Cadiz is cheaper than east coast and Sicily. The option to travel is better in Cadiz because, obvious, isn't a island, and you have good highways, good high-speed rail and the airport (Jerez, 23 kms) I will go to Cadiz next 13 (Carnaval de Cádiz is a famous fiesta in here) and I'll can see how is the city now.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2010, 03:50 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,417,587 times
Italy is good but I suggest you other place than Sicily.

Why Sicily in your choise?

I can suggest you Umbria if you don't like the big cites as Rome and Milan.
Umbria is a wonderful place to live.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:11 AM

161 posts, read 481,221 times
minnie mouse, what is wrong with sicily?

Old 01-31-2010, 02:49 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,417,587 times
I don't like Sicily because:
1) it's an old pay
2) the people have an old mentality
3) it a region very different to the rest of Italy
4) here, the women doesn't work because for man, the women must to stay at home....
5) it's a poor region
6) it's a bit of dangerous
7) there are nothing between one pay and other

I don't like this region.
and you? why this choise?

If you live in US, you are very lucky! My dream is to live there

Old 01-31-2010, 03:30 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,228,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
I don't like Sicily because:
1) it's an old pay
2) the people have an old mentality
3) it a region very different to the rest of Italy
4) here, the women doesn't work because for man, the women must to stay at home....
5) it's a poor region
6) it's a bit of dangerous
7) there are nothing between one pay and other

I don't like this region.
and you? why this choise?

If you live in US, you are very lucky! My dream is to live there
I love Sicily to visit but I agree with you I would not live there . For me it is still way too old fashioned in terms of its ideas , men too macho and women too domesticated, the racism is quite bad and attacks on local agricultural migrant workers ( on which much of Italy is now dependent if it wants to remain economically competitive) too common for my tastes , the Cosa Nostra has too big a hold on things and nobody has truly been able to clean the situation yet ( being an honest judge or cop in Sicily is pretty much signing your death warrant) . Petty crime is still very high , things like moped wallet sntaching or having your car broken into.

And as you say Sicily is still extremely poor despite a lot of subsidies from the European community. It is certainly one of the least developed parts of Western Europe.

Siciliy is a beautiful place for a vacation, the food is glorious and the architecture and history superb. But chaos is still a way of life and personally don't like Chaos.

As for Spain considering the recession has hit it more than anywhere else in Europe apart from Greece perhaps and that it is now in complete freefall in many respects , with high unemployment and huge economic problems it does seem an odd place to choose. I would certainly have to ponder why anyone would relocate there, at this particular moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or