Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:36 AM

7 posts, read 181,076 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Frankfurt Germany. We are looking for a 2 or 3-bedroom living accommodation. What are the best areas to move to within Frankfurt? Also, how do we find out if residences are listed? Plus, does anyone know the price ranges of the various areas? If there are internet postings, then we would love to know about them! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moving to Germany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:30 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,830,078 times
Might want to look here

Immobilienmarkt - Marktplätze - FAZ.NET

Hard to navigate if you don't speak German though. Frankfurt is rather expensive.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,128,338 times
For more than 10 years I lived in a studio apartment in the Ostend area of Frankfurt.
Finding an apartment can be a mad, frustrating stampede because of more demand than supply. As for driving around town to look for 'For Rent' signs, forget it, you won't find any, Germans don't do it that way. Very few apartments are listed anywhere. Most are handled by agents (Makler). Initially, everything can be expensive: most Maklers require a fee of 200% of the monthly rent; the apartment owner will request a three month security deposit; and the first month's rent. So it's a good idea to anticipate paying the equivalent of 6 months of rent just to move in.
The security deposit is usually placed into a special account where it can draw interest.
The greater Frankfurt area has an excellent public transportations system. So you can also consider living outside the city where rents may be a bit cheaper. Places like Offenbach, Friedberg, and Hanau are close enough to Frankfurt. All these places are well served by streetcars and S-Bahn (commuter trains).
The (Frankfurter Rundschau) newspaper lists a few apartments every Friday.
Most people pick them up right as they come off the printing press and arrange to see the apartments immediately. Most apartments are already taken by Saturday morning. On various bulletin boards (and in newspaper ads) people often offer cash rewards for info about available apartments.
Good luck!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,780,883 times
You did not mention if you already had a job or not.
If yes, how about having the people you work for help you?

I assume no kids, .... that will help.
Dogs are less of a problem in finding a place to live.

Depending on *how long* you will stay there,
is what should determine where you want to live.
Living a bit *outside* the *big city* does have some advantages.
More fun to get involved in the neighbourhoods.
At least it was us (4 kids also).

It took me 30 minutes to get to work, and we loved where we lived.
It was on a Farm, that *normally* also had a Ferien Wohnung,
(they have rooms to let for summer vacation).
We asked if they were willing to put up with as *all the time*.
The best thing we did !!!
Came to 700 USD/mo for two bedrooms, living room, kitchen and our own bath (1980's),
and included 2 liters of fresh milk each day !
In the end, we paid them a bit more a year than what they would have earned for one summer only.
BTW, the farm we lived on, was even featured on a postcard !!!!
Talk about *living in picture postcard country ....*

If no kids, and your wife does not work, that may be a problem,
spending all day on a farm, especially if she is NOT the outdoorsy farm type Lady ....
unless you have two cars ....

Old 10-11-2010, 03:49 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. We found a small place outside Frankfurt.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:54 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,267,533 times
You should check out immobilienscout24.de. Lots of ads there.

Also, I definitely agree with the others, you should try to live outside of Frankfurt. Not only because it is cheaper but also because Frankfurt has some very sketchy neighborhoods. Those are sometimes hard to recognize for foreigners, especially if you are from the US. My American friends found some of the worst areas to be very nice. On the other hand, I did not recognize all the bad areas over there either.
Go to rmv.de, this is the authority responsible for public transport in and around Frankfurt. You should try to find a place to live close to the S-Bahn.

Also, avoid Offenbach.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:28 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks Rob702 for your info!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,267,533 times
Haha I just saw the date of your first post. Guess my info is not needed any more. Anyway, maybe you'll need it if you decide to move somewhere else.
Hope you are having a great time in Frankfurt.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 26,883 times
Hello. I have a job interview soon in Frankfurt, and we will be negotitating salary. I am married with 2 kids, one of them should be in school (4 years old). Since we are french educated, we are planning to live next to the French lycee. any idea about this area? how much rental would cost in it? is it well connected to the city center?
As for the salary, how much should I earn to live decently with my familty in Frankfurt? Should it be around 3,500 EURO per month (net After Tax)?
Thx.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,310,624 times
Hi,

3,500 Euro would be nice, but keep in mind you need at least 5,500 or more gross income to have this net income, due to very high taxes, retirement and healthcare, ...

It looks like the french lycee is near two Autobahns and there is a metro or public rail station very close to it called "Stephan Heise Straße". I dont know if it is a nice neighborhood to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe