U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 AM

21 posts, read 54,330 times

Advertisements

My uneducated guess is Slovenia, because they have some of the least government intervention in business. But, as I said, I am not educated on the socio-cultural dynamics of Eastern Europe.

I'd love to go there someday though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 06:18 AM

634 posts, read 1,005,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landgabriel View Post
My uneducated guess is Slovenia, because they have some of the least government intervention in business. But, as I said, I am not educated on the socio-cultural dynamics of Eastern Europe.

I'd love to go there someday though!
Yes, Slovenia will do well too!

Anyway... the problem with the most E. European countries is that their populations are in decline and the countries are not that rich yet to attract immigrants!

Old 10-26-2010, 04:47 PM

346 posts, read 395,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Yes, Slovenia will do well too!

Anyway... the problem with the most E. European countries is that their populations are in decline and the countries are not that rich yet to attract immigrants!
Russia's birth rate is going up: Birth rates go up in Russia: Voice of Russia

We don't want non-Slavic immigrants.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:38 PM

8,316 posts, read 12,737,639 times
I think the Czech Republic probably. I have some Czech friends and they are much more oriented to the West than toward Eastern Europe, like the history of the Warsaw Pact and the former Czechoslovakia is behind them and they are excited to be integrated into Western Europe. I can understand why Czechs want to be associated with NATO and the European Union and be more connected to countries like Germany, Italy, Austria, and France than to countries like Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, etc.

I think the Czech Republic has also seen more Western influence, including mass tourism and the establishment of American and other Western businesses whether this is a good thing depends on who you ask. Also I've noticed Czechs don't like to be seen as Eastern European, and I can see the association with Central Europe given their location, but I will always see Poland and Slovakia as Eastern European countries, especially Poland.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:51 AM

634 posts, read 1,005,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think the Czech Republic probably. I have some Czech friends and they are much more oriented to the West than toward Eastern Europe, like the history of the Warsaw Pact and the former Czechoslovakia is behind them and they are excited to be integrated into Western Europe. I can understand why Czechs want to be associated with NATO and the European Union and be more connected to countries like Germany, Italy, Austria, and France than to countries like Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, etc.

I think the Czech Republic has also seen more Western influence, including mass tourism and the establishment of American and other Western businesses whether this is a good thing depends on who you ask. Also I've noticed Czechs don't like to be seen as Eastern European, and I can see the association with Central Europe given their location, but I will always see Poland and Slovakia as Eastern European countries, especially Poland.
The problem with Czech Republic is that it's population is not very flexible like in other E. European countries (Poland or Romania). In Poland or Romania there were massive layoffs (and when I say massive I mean millions of people were fired when the communist factories and companies went broke). But those people didn't do like the Czechs... they went back to school, they changed their qualifications, their jobs, their field... they started new lives... few remained behind.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:10 PM

81 posts, read 159,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
Russia's birth rate is going up: Birth rates go up in Russia: Voice of Russia

We don't want non-Slavic immigrants.
^^^^And this is EXACTLY why I have no intention of EVER going to Russia! The most xenophobic, racist, sexist, homophobic group of people I've ever met...UGH! God forbid a non-Slav dare THINK of settling down in Russia, huh? One day, when Russia has only about 5 people (and if its demographics, drug and alcohol problems are any indication, they will get there), they will wake u and say, "Wow! Maybe we shouldn't have been close-minded and started accepting non-Slavs a long time ago! Maybe then we'd still have some semblance of a country"!

Good riddance.

Anyway to answer the OP's question, I think POland has the best bet for long-term. I think Czech growth is largely finite and confined to now. I don't think they'll decline so much as stagnate, much like I think Germany will. Poland has been receiving technology from the US more and more, and with it foreign investment. Much more so than the Czech Republic.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 AM

317 posts, read 762,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnDoctor View Post
^^^^And this is EXACTLY why I have no intention of EVER going to Russia! The most xenophobic, racist, sexist, homophobic group of people I've ever met...UGH! God forbid a non-Slav dare THINK of settling down in Russia, huh? One day, when Russia has only about 5 people (and if its demographics, drug and alcohol problems are any indication, they will get there), they will wake u and say, "Wow! Maybe we shouldn't have been close-minded and started accepting non-Slavs a long time ago!
Interesting reaction. Personally, I see no problem with Russia setting its own immigration policy (that's what normal countries do, right?), and if they want to make linguistic and cultural compatibility a paramount value, that's their business. BTW, as someone noted above, the demographic stats have become healthier in the last few years.

As for the original question, I think Czech and Slovak Republics, plus Slovenia, will lead in terms of quality of life, while Poland will have the largest economy and exert the most geopolitical weight. In other words, I expect things to continue about as they are now.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:44 AM

16,434 posts, read 19,506,643 times
Poland.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:28 AM

503 posts, read 967,837 times
Estonia is doing fine. The other Baltic republics have a lot of problems.

I think Estonia and Slovenia have already Western european living standards (at least better than portugal which is part of Western europe). Also I think Czech republic has a higher living standard than portugal.

Poland is growing but there's still a very poor eastern part of the country, Russia and Ukraine there's too much corruption, the same goes for Bulgaria and Romania.

Actuallu what few people know is that living standards were higher during communist times in many eastern europen countries than today. It's the case in Hungary, Ukraine, Bulgaria that I know for sure, maybe more.

Hungary was the best performing economy in Eastern Europe during communist times, now it's only average.

Romania remains poor, in the centre of big cities you see a lot of change but living standards generally have not improved much.

Average salary in Romania is around 400$ and prices in supermarket are almost equal to Western Europe or the US. Can you imagine... Worse still in Ukraine, were average salary does not exceed 300$.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:37 AM

503 posts, read 967,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnDoctor View Post
^^^^And this is EXACTLY why I have no intention of EVER going to Russia! The most xenophobic, racist, sexist, homophobic group of people I've ever met...UGH! God forbid a non-Slav dare THINK of settling down in Russia, huh? One day, when Russia has only about 5 people (and if its demographics, drug and alcohol problems are any indication, they will get there), they will wake u and say, "Wow! Maybe we shouldn't have been close-minded and started accepting non-Slavs a long time ago! Maybe then we'd still have some semblance of a country"!

Good riddance.
there are more immigrants in Russia than in any other Eastern european country. Moscow and other big cities are full of Caucasians and Central Asians. Most blend in well, all of them speak the language. You shouldn't believe everything people say about Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or