U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 07:38 AM

8,920 posts, read 13,669,438 times

Advertisements

I'm working on my genealogy and finally figured out how to use the Norwegian Digital Archives online - found my ancestors in the 1801 census, hooray! The record transcriptions are mostly in Norwegian though - with the help of Google Translate I did work out what some of the info says but it struggled with some words - I'm guessing some are abbreviations? So I was hoping a real person could help - thanks in advance if anyone can translate these:

Gard/hus - google says "hus" means "homes" but won't translate "Gard". This is a category title.

Prestegjeldnr - another category title with a number underneath it.

I 1te ægteskab - this was put under "Marital Status" and I'm pretty sure it means "Married" but what is the literal translation?

jordbruger - this was under "Occupation" - full entry is "Bonde og jordbruger" which google says means "Farmer and...?" Apparently "jord" means "soil" but I can't work out the rest of the word.

Mand - Under "Household pos." - I'm pretty sure it refers to the head of the household but again, what is the literal translation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,212 times
I'm a native swedish speaker and the norwegian language is pretty much the same.

Anyways - Gård means farm/ranch, hus means 'house'

Prestegjeldnr - this is probably Priest service number. I'm not sure about the 'gjeld' part. But Preste = priest and 'nr' is a short form of 'nummer' which means number.

Jordbruger = farmer, I'm unsure if theres a correct direct english translate but jord = soil, bruger = farmer.

ægteskab means 'marriage'

Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 AM

950 posts, read 1,541,528 times
Could gjeld mean money ? Unfortunately, my skinny Norwegian dictionary is home- 7000 miles away!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,212 times
Gjeld - Wikipedia

Appearantly if you click 'english' it'll go to Debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM

12 posts, read 32,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

Gard/hus - google says "hus" means "homes" but won't translate "Gard". This is a category title.

Prestegjeldnr - another category title with a number underneath it.

I 1te ægteskab - this was put under "Marital Status" and I'm pretty sure it means "Married" but what is the literal translation?

jordbruger - this was under "Occupation" - full entry is "Bonde og jordbruger" which google says means "Farmer and...?" Apparently "jord" means "soil" but I can't work out the rest of the word.

Mand - Under "Household pos." - I'm pretty sure it refers to the head of the household but again, what is the literal translation?
The reason Google didn't find these words is that Norwegian spelling has changed quite a bit since 1801, mainly to make the written language closer to spoken Norwegian. The 1801 spelling was very similar to Danish.

Hus means house. Home is hjem in Norwegian. Gard (or as most people spell it today, gård) means farm.

Prestegjeld = parish. Nr is a abbreviation for nummer = number. So prestegjeldnr = parish number. As someone else said gjeld = debt. Prest = minister/priest/clergy. A prestegjeld is the area that belongs too (and had to pay taxes too) a particular church.

I 1te ægteskab (currently ekteskap) means "In 1st marriage".

Jordbruger (current spelling jordbruker) means farmer. The two words bonde and jordbruker is used interchangeably. Jord = soil, earth, ground. Bruker = user. So it literally means someone who uses the soil.

Mand (current spelling mann) is man (or husband).

Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 AM

12 posts, read 32,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solvi View Post

Prestegjeld = parish. Nr is a abbreviation for nummer = number. So prestegjeldnr = parish number. As someone else said gjeld = debt. Prest = minister/priest/clergy. A prestegjeld is the area that belongs too (and had to pay taxes too) a particular church.
To avoid misunderstandings: when I wrote "area that belongs too" I didn't mean that the church owned it, just that the people living in that area went to that local church and had to pay taxes to its minister. And by church I mean church building. In 1801 all Norwegians belonged to the same faith, Church of Norway (Protestant, Lutheran).

Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 AM

8,920 posts, read 13,669,438 times
VERY helpful, thank you everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or