U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 11,511 times

Advertisements

Hellow all.

My name is Andrew, i'm 25 years old, I live in Russia, Khabarovsk. i'm a journalist, and the editor by profession.
I heard that at Americans often incorrect representation about Russia. It is said that Russian - the wild, uneducated people which drinks vodka, and go by bears.
I wish to tell the truth about Russia, to dispel all ridiculous hearings.
Here I am ready to answer your questions

Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM

513 posts, read 996,166 times
I can't say anything good from my experiences with Russians and from one thousand years of Polish-Russian wars, three partitions of Poland and 50 years of imposed communism by Russia on my country. Poles still remember Katyn Massacre where Russians murdered 20 thousands of Polish officers. But it's not the history why I don't symapthize with Russians. I simply have never met polite Russians and I have met many of them in USA.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:51 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,784,179 times
I'm an American who speaks fluent Russian, who lived in Moscow for four years, is married to a Russian woman. I've devoted more than ten years of my life to studying the language, history, working in the country, etc.

Needless to say, my attitudes to Russia are quite complex.

Only an ignorant person would view Russians as uneducated vodka drinkers. Russians are some of the smartest people I have ever met. Unfortunately, the system there is such that intelligence and honest behavior is rarely rewarded. I know that's the case in a lot of places, including the United States, but in Russia it seems especially bad.

I wish I had the time to answer your post at length, but I'll describe my relationship with Russia as being one of love-hate.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:08 PM

55 posts, read 61,582 times
Quote:
I heard that at Americans often incorrect representation about Russia. It is said that Russian - the wild, uneducated people which drinks vodka, and go by bears.
You've never talked to an American, have you? Of all people I've met I don't know a single one, who would seriously identify Russians with such stereotypes.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:14 PM

14,217 posts, read 44,878,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I'm an American who speaks fluent Russian, who lived in Moscow for four years, is married to a Russian woman. I've devoted more than ten years of my life to studying the language, history, working in the country, etc.

Needless to say, my attitudes to Russia are quite complex.

Only an ignorant person would view Russians as uneducated vodka drinkers. Russians are some of the smartest people I have ever met. Unfortunately, the system there is such that intelligence and honest behavior is rarely rewarded. I know that's the case in a lot of places, including the United States, but in Russia it seems especially bad.

I wish I had the time to answer your post at length, but I'll describe my relationship with Russia as being one of love-hate.
15 years of Russian study, Ukrainian wife, but no long working periods in Russia or Ukraine.

I agree that it's rediculous to think of Russians as uneducated vodka drinkers - they are certainly the most educated vodka drinkers on Earth!

I have worked mostly with people at nuclear institutes, highly intellegent and educated people.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 11,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
I can't say anything good from my experiences with Russians and from one thousand years of Polish-Russian wars, three partitions of Poland and 50 years of imposed communism by Russia on my country. Poles still remember Katyn Massacre where Russians murdered 20 thousands of Polish officers. But it's not the history why I don't symapthize with Russians. I simply have never met polite Russians and I have met many of them in USA.
It's a false. The Polish officers were killed by Germans Nazis. They needed to sow fear among the population of Europe before Russian, and they, unfortunately, have achieved it.

In the Red Army there were a lot of Polish by nationality. Marshall Rokossovsky K. for example and many others

But not about it I would like to talk. What it would be interesting to learn to the American about Russia and Russians? About displays of what name a "mysterious Russian soul"?

Last edited by Andrew_Phomkin; 05-25-2010 at 07:57 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 PM

357 posts, read 1,698,809 times
The stereotypical view of Russians is that they do sit around and drink vodka. But anyone who stereotypes is ignorant. However, from what i have read and studied, Russians tend to be quite homophobic, possibly racist against many different types of cultures and religions. This kind of upsets me as I would love to one day visit your country. I wish this was not true.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,154,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Phomkin View Post
It's a false. The Polish officers were killed by Germans Nazis. They needed to sow fear among the population of Europe before Russian, and they, unfortunately, have achieved it.

In the Red Army there were a lot of Polish by nationality. Marshall Rokossovsky K. for example and many others

But not about it I would like to talk. What it would be interesting to learn to the American about Russia and Russians? About displays of what name a "mysterious Russian soul"?
I was born in Poland, grew up here in the US. My mother had an intense hatred for Russians and demonized em so much that the effect it had on me was to make me more sympathetic and open. Russians aren't bad people, they aren't stupid or evil or anything like that. Normal, basically good, intelligent people, like anywhere else.

I know there's alotta bad history but history is more complicated than people think, and anyway, you can't blame people today for mistakes made in the past before they were even born. My dad told me plenty of stories about growing up under communist rule, I know alotta bad stuff happened, and there were alotta bad people, but I don't let that turn me against a whole people like my mother was.

Here in America, there aren't that many Poles compared to other groups, and me and other people I knew, and even my mom had a kinda "countrymen" type feeling towards the Russians. Like, we're part of a similar culture with a shared history.

But, I have to say "It's all false. The Polish officers were killed by Germans Nazis" I'm sorry that's just not true. It was proven after the war. People do forget things like the Russians and Poles did fight together, like, in Berlin the only other nation that was there was a Polish army attached to the Russians fighting with them. They even got their flag up too. But, you can't just push something like Katyn aside. Everyone should forgive and forget, look to the future, but that can't happen if we don't acknowledge the past.

As a Pole I'll be the first to say we weren't always the innocent victim either. Poland acted very aggressively towards Russia more than once throughout our very long history together. We need to work through all that stuff, the endless hate leads nowhere.

(Sorry to say so much, I guess it's an issue close to my heart)

Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,421,440 times
Andrew, it's very kind of you to offer to answer any and all questions about Russia, but City Data asks that threads be contained to a specific topic in order that site users are able to more easily find information.

Threads like this tend to become a hodge-podge of unrelated information and are very unweildy for site users to access.

Please feel free to post threads on specific topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe