Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:48 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,686 times

Advertisements

[quote=Anna_Starr82;14914974]Having been to all those countries I would definitely say Spain .Great atmosphere and great people .
quote]

And you should see Spain at this very moment, after having won Germany in the World Cup semifinial!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 09:52 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
By party do you mean going out clubbing & dancing at nice places with nice crowds? If so, then all of those countries (as well as Greece) will provide what you're looking for... you just have to know where to go.

I've partied in France, Italy, and Greece (haven't been to the other two), but my definition of "party" (especially in Europe) is going to the type of place (typically house music) where heels are heavily suggested for girls, getting tables & bottle service, and dancing dancing dancing.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
I've only been to Italy once and never to Portugal, but I lived in France in my early 20s, and I can tell you, compared to an average young french person even the wildest midwestern party animals are mormons. People usually meet up at one persons home together to get drunk (usually with vodka or rum, not wine or beer) then go to clubs, already drunk, around midnight and stay there dancing until the first metro in the morning

Apt-and horrendous in my book- description (and you could say the same of the Spanish youth). I don't know where this partying tradition stems from historically, it seems to me (but I may be wrong) that former generations (pre-1960's and pre consumer society) where less keen on partying, to me it illustrates the abyssal decay of our societies : when having fun has as much (more?) social value as being serious, study, and bring a positive in society, it's proof that's there's somethign rotten in the kingdom of Denmark. I 've met some of these young partying people, all students at the uni (some of them like to pull duckfaces on MySpace), and I wasn't impressed.
It's true that they are very good at doing the jackasses and getting drunk, but they are not even funny at it!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:11 AM

112 posts, read 112,096 times
Yep, us Brits go out and get hammered at weekends and when we are on Holiday and guess what? We dont care what you Puritan Yanks think. Also we laugh at jokes, not just say "Hey, thats funny".

Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCB View Post
Yep, us Brits go out and get hammered at weekends and when we are on Holiday and guess what? We dont care what you Puritan Yanks think. Also we laugh at jokes, not just say "Hey, thats funny".

That's fine that you don't care what Americans think but I'll just say to many people you look like a complete arrogant, uncultered, disrespectful asses when you engage in this behaviour abroad and disrupt the flow of things.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,268 times
Well, I would agree that it would be the Spaniards.

If you walk the streets of Spanish cities at night they are thronged with people out and seeming to have a good time, especially on the weekends. I don't think either that this sort of "partying" is alcohol fueled.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Well, I would agree that it would be the Spaniards.

If you walk the streets of Spanish cities at night they are thronged with people out and seeming to have a good time, especially on the weekends. I don't think either that this sort of "partying" is alcohol fueled.
Yep, very SOCIAL-fueled.

It's one of the things I really liked about Spain. They were always including people, and really wanted people to participate in things. Especially dinners, going out, getting together, etc.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:10 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCB View Post
Well, all the time I went to England they told us "not to go out on Friday night" because of drunkards.
I never had any pleasant experience with English drunkards in all honesty.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:52 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
I'm french and I consider France to be a pretty quiet place overall....

Some places are considered ok to party, but if you throw a party at your place it is likely that the neighbors will call the police if you put some music on, and the police will actually show up... also, most bars close between 1 and 2 am and people usually have to turn to night clubs instead (which i have never liked and are a completely different thing) or find some accomodations.

Most mid-size towns in france are actually pretty quiet.

I believe Spain and Italy are a lot more fun in that department, there are many places that stay open until the early morning, and people usually go out super late by my standards, like i have friends who show up at parties at 2 am or something, even in the dead of the winter when it is very cold outside.

Also, I have the impression that in Italy people drink less, or at least they don't need to get drunk immediately to talk to people like French people do because it is much harder to meet people in France, it is a more northern culture. In italy it's just natural to interact with people, so people drink as well but i've never seen that many people who were passed out or violent because of alcohol, whereas it is a normal sight on a saturday night in France in some city centers, because france is overall more ordered and controlled than Italy and people still need to let out the tension.... here everything is less controlled, nobody cares about anything and nobody will call the police if you play music loud in your apartment at night. The police won't come anyway.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:45 PM

6 posts, read 6,910 times
In Med countries and parts of Europe, "go out" amounts to terrace life, walking and meeting people, meeting in bar to drink over a few beers and talk about football, gathering in small groups at corners to gossip, to see and be seen at famous places, visit some snack bar......

Does not amount to getting drunk or go to a disco to swallow pills, even so there are tons of chavs and not so chav kids that do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe