U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2010, 03:04 PM
 
30 posts, read 99,353 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Between France,Spain,Italy, and Portugal which parties the most? Which of these countries seems to have the most fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2010, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
526 posts, read 1,118,614 times
Reputation: 946
It's a tie between Italy and France for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,575 posts, read 34,381,460 times
Reputation: 9146
I didn't think Italy or France really 'parties'. Neither are really 'get drunk' kind of places. They are more the sit down at a nice meal, drink wine, and socialize with your friends.

I'd say Spain has a bigger drinking culture...but they are still pretty subdued...it's more the many obnoxious and overly drunk Brits who come in..and 'party' like idiots....is when I think of 'party'.

Ibiza in Spain..which has all the many Scandinavians and Germans trying to 'party' might be of a scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 AM
 
11,540 posts, read 12,889,715 times
Reputation: 30489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I didn't think Italy or France really 'parties'. Neither are really 'get drunk' kind of places. They are more the sit down at a nice meal, drink wine, and socialize with your friends.

I'd say Spain has a bigger drinking culture...but they are still pretty subdued...it's more the many obnoxious and overly drunk Brits who come in..and 'party' like idiots....is when I think of 'party'.

Ibiza in Spain..which has all the many Scandinavians and Germans trying to 'party' might be of a scene.
Ditto Portugal. Most of the "party animals" are obnoxiously drunk Brit vacationers, who in Portuguese eyes are a nation of alcoholics. That said, Portuguese young people are rapidly embracing the drink-till-you-drop-in-your-own-puke lifestyle that the Brits enjoy.

If "party" means boozing, just look for those locales where Brits congregate on vacation...the country doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Westwood
213 posts, read 535,102 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever200 View Post
Between France,Spain,Italy, and Portugal which parties the most? Which of these countries seems to have the most fun?
Spain parties the most by far out of those 4. It's not even close.

I'm not sure if that would be my definition of 'fun' though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Tucson
124 posts, read 225,650 times
Reputation: 118
I lived in Spain for 8 years and England for 1 year, and agreed with the notion that the brits are the biggest drinkers and drink till they drop and get raudy and obnoxious, on the other hand I experienced the drinking and socialising more in Spain where drinking does not mean getting drunk and stupid but have fun and spend a few hours enjoying someone elses company and conversation as well as dancing and knowing others, specially if you are lucky to be invited to the gypsies colonies, they really know how to have fun without being disrespectfull of others.
I have party with italians more than french people but I can not really say much about those 2 countries other than it seems they do not drink as much and are more prone to seating down and socialies with a wine glass as someone already mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Westwood
213 posts, read 535,102 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerey View Post
I lived in Spain for 8 years and England for 1 year, and agreed with the notion that the brits are the biggest drinkers and drink till they drop and get raudy and obnoxious, on the other hand I experienced the drinking and socialising more in Spain where drinking does not mean getting drunk and stupid but have fun and spend a few hours enjoying someone elses company and conversation as well as dancing and knowing others, specially if you are lucky to be invited to the gypsies colonies, they really know how to have fun without being disrespectfull of others.
I have party with italians more than french people but I can not really say much about those 2 countries other than it seems they do not drink as much and are more prone to seating down and socialies with a wine glass as someone already mention.
Agree 100% on the British and drinking. It's bad, really bad actually and quite sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 12:48 PM
 
30 posts, read 99,353 times
Reputation: 28
Default What about Portugal?

So it seems that Spain has the best parties but what about Portugal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,157,942 times
Reputation: 7945
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever200 View Post
So it seems that Spain has the best parties but what about Portugal?
The Spaniards consider the Portuguese a melancholic, depressing people

Young people here copy every stupidity from abroad, so some of them drink a lot these days.

I am old-fashioned and thus have a problem with the notion that a party is an opportunity to get drunk, deaf, and laid. I avoid parties altogether, all that artificial happiness gets on my nerves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 AM
 
2,065 posts, read 4,007,658 times
Reputation: 2370
You do realize in some places around the world (including some of the countries you mentioned) people are mature enough not to get drunk and embarrass themselves at parties.

Others look at the ones who need to drink excessively as immature and quite ridiculous.

The purpose of any interesting party is to enjoy the company of friends/family and whatever is being served (food/drinks) without looking ridiculous...is it that difficult?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top