Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do YOU, personally, stay/get in shape?
Gym / fitness club 30 65.22%
Biking (road) 15 32.61%
Biking (mountain) 8 17.39%
Hiking 12 26.09%
DDR 2 4.35%
Home gym / lifting weights 19 41.30%
Running / joggng 25 54.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:12 PM

181 posts, read 597,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Not only am I shocked that dance dance revolution is part of this poll, I am also shocked that 2 people said they use it to stay in shape. I can think of 100 or so better ways/methods of getting/staying in shape than a video game. But oh well, I guess people will do what will give them results.
I am going to respectfully disagree 1000%. I wouldn't consider DDR to be the most optimal way to get in shape, but I have to say that the person who made this poll definitely indirectly brought up a great point. It's that people need to enjoy working out in order to stay consistent. Someone who tries running and hates it isn't going to gain as much out of it in the long run as someone who uses DDR.

To stay in shape I..............

- Lift Weights
- Play pickup soccer/basketball/football games.
- Cardio- Barbell Complexes
- Hopefully going to start running a bit, but even if i don't i think that sports/complexes give me a hell of a cardio workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 07:21 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,054,535 times
Quote:
Not only am I shocked that dance dance revolution is part of this poll, I am also shocked that 2 people said they use it to stay in shape. I can think of 100 or so better ways/methods of getting/staying in shape than a video game. But oh well, I guess people will do what will give them results.
It's an excellent way to stay in shape - very fun, and once you get sufficiently good at it, a VERY intense workout. For example, when my sister had it, I burnt 50 calories dancing / jumping to Jun "True Love" ONCE (or so it said I did).

Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,492 times
I go to Gym to stay fit.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,079,343 times
Quote:
Better than sitting on the couch and stuffing the face with twinkies!!!

I run (road and trail) and ride (road and mountain). Love these.

I also lift (ick but it's good for me) and do yoga (love) ~2X per week.

If I lived closer to an ocean I would surf again as well.

I used to swim 2-3X per week but got out of that habit. Need to look into it again.

Still like to hike and must walk the dog.

Does cleaning the house and doing work on a reno count for anything at all? I sure am tired at the end of the day.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,634,793 times
I love working my body as much as I love working my brain, so much so I feel sorry for sedentary people.

I lift weights, run at the gym and on the streets, commute by bike and am training for my first Century (100 mile ride/race) which I'm doing in September, do a bit of kick boxing, will hike when I get the chance, and just started on an dodgeball league. Sometimes I put on my sneakers and run for transportation reasons - such as when I was at work an had to go check on a retail store. Two miles away? Screw it, I ran there and back.

Some people think I do this for vanity or insecurity. The truth is, I feel ALIVE when I use my body for its maximum potential. I can run so I DO run and it feels great to allow my legs to do what they were made for. I love how my strong glutes allow me to jump high. I love being able to pick up my 50 pound carry-on and put it in the overhead bin on an airplane.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:25 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,310,266 times
ZUMBA three times a week! IT's Awesome!!! Give it a try!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 9,267 times
Gym, some weights at home, jogging. Still the results are not ideal.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 9,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
ZUMBA three times a week! IT's Awesome!!! Give it a try!
Hmm, I googled it up, could be interesting

Old 06-26-2010, 09:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,534,531 times
I used to wrestle, do judo, BJJ, all the time. I took a year off to do grad school and train and came back from abroad in the best shape of my life. If I had had more time, I would have been able to get in even better shape. It was, to be honest, effortless. I worked out doing something I loved. I walked everywhere I went, and swam a lot, but I ate what I wanted, when I wanted and didn't lift a single weight. I could have done even better with more time and caring more about my diet.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:45 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,267,508 times
I want maximum calorie burn for leisure time spent watching TV - therefore I Versaclimb, which has helped my cardio tremendously. I cannot stand commuting to the gym on top of my daily schedule. Hopefully I can add some weights to my routine when I expand my home gym. I don't have time for sports or fun though I wish I did because I like dancing and hiking. Maybe I will climb a mountain someday.

I really need to start weekly fasting vs. QOD diet vs. zigzag diet. Makes sense on a biological level. I love food too much but it's definitely time to lose 10-15#. I think it all just needs to be dieted off because no amount of exercise can make up for my caloric intake. When I was eating < 1000 kcal/day and not exercising, I was less flabby. Exercising doesn't do anything for weight in my case - it just increases exercise capacity and muscle weight but no toning/fat burn.

I think the BMI is an extremely loose standard which does not fit each individual. By my estimation I'd have to be BMI 16 to be considered underweight (the standard is 18 for underweight). Now I'm BMI 20 but am still very flabby (26% body fat), albeit with decent underlying muscle tone. How does this even make sense? I really need to get fit!!! My metabolism is slowing down with age.

Last edited by miyu; 06-27-2010 at 05:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness