Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:36 AM

573 posts, read 2,058,426 times

Advertisements

What are some good exercises for someone who has a crooked back?

And what are some Bad ones that I should not be doing that can make it worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
Depends on your specific back condition. The back can go wrong in so many different places. Or in several places at once. Each of these need different considerations.

Can you get physical therapy? A PT should know more about what you can do or not depending on your problem. If you do get physical therapy ask the PT questions. Let them know you want to be able to take care of yourself after the therapy is over.

Usually insurance only pays for a set number of weeks or sessions of therapy. Unless your back problem is due to a specific fixable injury you will need to continue the exercises. I still stretch and I hate stretching. But it pays off.

Google "back exercises", or your specific problem, etc. One website I like is Back Pain, Neck Pain, Lower Back Pain | Spine-Health. Check out books on physical therapy and back exercises. Check out other forums and ask questions.

If you are self prescribing GO SLOW! Pushing too hard can negate weeks or more of progress. If that happens don't give up. Note it as a problem point and slowly work back to health again.

Really the best way to start is with a doctors diagnosis, then physical therapy. But get the therapist to help you set up a continued program. Back recovery is usually a long term process.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
What are some good exercises for someone who has a crooked back?

And what are some Bad ones that I should not be doing that can make it worse?
It really depends on your back condition. Is it just crooked as in your spine is curved differently than most people or is it a condition that causes pain or could cause pain.

Years ago I had a slightly different curve/arch in my lower back. It was crooked, it was just curved more than normal. I started practicing taichi and over the course of a couple of years, the curve straightened out a bit and actually have me 1.5 inches in height. I went from 5' 11" to 6' 1".

I HIGHLY recommend taichi and yoga if you are unable to do any weight training. Whatever your current health condition and/or age, both taich and yoga will help.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:30 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,339 times
Building up the gluts believe it or not can ease some back problems. Some back problems are caused by tightness especially when the hip area is stronger than the gluts and this can cause spinal misalignments.

I have scoliosis and was afraid to do any lifts or exercises for the back because of what my old doctors had told me. But I started experimenting and I found the machine (not sure what its called) where you sit and lean backward against a pad which is attached to weights has made my back stronger. I took it easy from the beginning on how heavy I lift. I've also found doing lifts specific to each muscle in the back helps also.

One other thing- some people can get back pain if they work out their abs exclusively or their chest exclusively and do not work the back too because then their body becomes out of balance. HTH

Old 07-11-2010, 09:39 AM

181 posts, read 598,538 times
It does depend on your situation, but if i were you i would do some core work as well. Planks, Hypers, Deadlifts (if possible), Pullups, Rows, Pullthroughs and some other ab work should help. Go by trial and error and see what works for you. Even though i don't have a crooked back, deadlifts have helped my posture tremendously. They're a hell of a posterior chain workout as are pullthroughs imo.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
It does depend on your situation, but if i were you i would do some core work as well. Planks, Hypers, Deadlifts (if possible), Pullups, Rows, Pullthroughs and some other ab work should help. Go by trial and error and see what works for you. Even though i don't have a crooked back, deadlifts have helped my posture tremendously. They're a hell of a posterior chain workout as are pullthroughs imo.

If you work your Abs and do not work your Back muscles then you will get low back pain if your abs get too much stronger than your back. Just like if you don't work your upper back but work out heavy on your chest then you can get that hunched back look so many at the gym have.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:06 PM

181 posts, read 598,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
If you work your Abs and do not work your Back muscles then you will get low back pain if your abs get too much stronger than your back. Just like if you don't work your upper back but work out heavy on your chest then you can get that hunched back look so many at the gym have.
why are you assuming that the poster isn't going to work his back muscles if he works his ab muscles? Both the abs and back contribute to one's posture, so it would be logical to work both muscle groups. However, crunches can be strenuous on your lower back, so if you do ab work i would stick to hanging leg raises, russian twists, and planks.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:32 PM

112 posts, read 259,385 times
Exclamation I've been "crooked" for about month. help!

[Mod edit: OP request]

(Please don't tell me I'm fat. I already know.) My "crookedness" all started about a month ago. I have been aggressively pursuing weight-loss. One morning I woke up with extreme pain in my right leg. Since then I can only sleep in one position comfortably & sit in select chairs at home. The leg pain and "crookedness" is worse in the morning. Once I get dressed, put my shoes on and walk around the house a bit, the leg pain is reduced to a soreness. I make a point to walk around the block (1/2 mile) at least once a day which seems to help straighten the back out. Once night hits the pain and "crookedness" is back and the process is done all over again the next day. I have been managing the pain with 1,000mg of Advil. For the record I have never had any record of back/spine issues in my 25yrs of life.

I don't think my issue is spine related, but I don't know for sure. I think I may have an injured/tight muscle or something that's pulling on one side of my body. Any advice or comments (other then I'm fat) are gladly excepted.

Last edited by elnina; 09-05-2013 at 01:41 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothehilt View Post

(Please don't tell me I'm fat. I already know.) My "crookedness" all started about a month ago. I have been aggressively pursuing weight-loss. One morning I woke up with extreme pain in my right leg. Since then I can only sleep in one position comfortably & sit in select chairs at home. The leg pain and "crookedness" is worse in the morning. Once I get dressed, put my shoes on and walk around the house a bit, the leg pain is reduced to a soreness. I make a point to walk around the block (1/2 mile) at least once a day which seems to help straighten the back out. Once night hits the pain and "crookedness" is back and the process is done all over again the next day. I have been managing the pain with 1,000mg of Advil. For the record I have never had any record of back/spine issues in my 25yrs of life.

I don't think my issue is spine related, but I don't know for sure. I think I may have an injured/tight muscle or something that's pulling on one side of my body. Any advice or comments (other then I'm fat) are gladly excepted.
See a Doctor. It is possible your pain is "merely" a strained muscle. But there's no way we can know.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Yes, GO SEE A DOCTOR. Please. Back issues/injuries are nothing to trifle with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness