Hmmm...since a lot of people chimed in with misinformation I thought I should add some links:
The NutriSystem Diet Review: Foods, How It Works, and More
Things that stood out:
• It is not a high sodium plan
• The calorie level for females is 1200, males 1500. This meets the minimum basics of anyone's needs. Unless you are at a very high weight where you need more than 2200 - 2500 to maintain what you have, the cut is not extreme. (anything over 1000 is too much)
• The portion sizes are proper portions. This will come as a shocker to anyone who is unaware of proper portion sizes. Cereal portions still make me laugh my butt off.
• They do suggest exercise along with diet
• They had some transition step listed on the site. I would like to know more about that one.
In all I agree with webmd. Its good for short term, ease and learning proper portions. In the long run you will have to find less limiting options than the branded food. At least by then you will know what a proper portion looks like.
Good luck with your learning OP.