Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,508,579 times

Advertisements

Over the past few weeks I've been going to a gym on a regular basis of about 4 days a week. I've noticed that I've begun to gain quite a bit of muscle (well, more than when I started)

My goal is to have more confidence and a body that women will find more attractive than what I have presently. Attaining the physique of a Greek God may be unrealistic, but I would like to be have nice firm toned muscles and be able to bench press a hell of a lot more then what I do now

Women, whats your opinion of men who work out regularly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,673,781 times
Well, personally, it's a huge turn off when I catch guys looking at themselves in the mirror all the time.

I once dated a personal trainer with an amazing body. He thought he was so hawt. He felt his body earned him the right to be disgusted by anyone that did not measure up to his standards. He expressed nothing but contempt for his overweight clients and said the most horrible things about them. He'd tell me how disgusting it was to see cellulite on the thighs of his female clients, stuff like that. What a jerk. This was his profession! It really turned me off.

He wasn't nearly as hot as he thought he was: beside being an a-hole, he was short, bald, had a small thingy (and worse, he didn't know how to use it), and was underemployed.

He tainted my view of gym rats in a negative way forever, I'm afraid. Now I see men with hard bodies from time spent in the gym as being vain and self-absorbed until they prove otherwise. And needless to say, I will NEVER, EVER hire a male personal trainer. I would always be wondering what awful things he was saying and thinking about my imperfect body.

Too bad, because I actually really like muscles, I like the way they look and the way they feel and all the wonderful things you can do with muscles. I appreciate how hard a person has to work to obtain them. But I don't like vain, critical, arrogant men. To summarize, it takes a lot more than muscles.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:28 AM

37 posts, read 177,802 times
yeah man. I'm sorry you went out with such a tit-head.

I train a lot because I value looking good. (I read a lot too but we are not talking about that) but I totally appreciate what the last poster wrote. A hard muscular body is great for women but vanity is ugly and so is lack of compassion for others.

So you train like a maniac and reap the reward. Just stay out of egoistic traps and you wont get judged as a vain moron.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,573,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Over the past few weeks I've been going to a gym on a regular basis of about 4 days a week. I've noticed that I've begun to gain quite a bit of muscle (well, more than when I started)

My goal is to have more confidence and a body that women will find more attractive than what I have presently. Attaining the physique of a Greek God may be unrealistic, but I would like to be have nice firm toned muscles and be able to bench press a hell of a lot more then what I do now

Women, whats your opinion of men who work out regularly?
Great! Why wouldn't it be?

Old 07-09-2010, 02:38 AM

I agree that arrogance and vanity are a big turn off. However, I don't think working out means you will become like that.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:50 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,508,579 times
I do have my arrogant moments but I dont think most people would consider me to be arrogant or vain. Im always (or always try to be at the very least) considerate and caring for others

Me attaining a rockin bod shouldn't change that aside from the usual arrogantesque jokes I like to crack

Seriously though I try to be a good guy. I hate arrogant people

Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 AM

I think it's fine to be confident and even "own" that you are good looking. Arrogance for me is someone who is not kind and cares more about how they look. Honestly, when someone is arrogant they don't look as good to me anymore.

Davie- you seem like a good guy from what I've read on here.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:18 AM

In that case, more power to you. It's more appealing (to me) if a man is muscular and working out in the gym for reasons other than vanity. For example, men who are in the gym training for an Ironman Marathon or for a sport are more appealing than men who are obviously working out to over-compensate for their lack of stature.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:27 AM

37 posts, read 177,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
In that case, more power to you. It's more appealing (to me) if a man is muscular and working out in the gym for reasons other than vanity. For example, men who are in the gym training for an Ironman Marathon or for a sport are more appealing than men who are obviously working out to over-compensate for their lack of stature.
for sure. It seems much less vain and more goal orientated right?

Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 AM

Exactly.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 07-09-2010 at 03:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness