Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:10 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,596,386 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is allowed on this forum, but can anyone point me to some good resources for MRT workouts? Or in the alternative, can anyone give me some guidelines on how to structure my own? I know there's a lot on the internet about this subject, but a lot of it is pretty general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,632,996 times
I do metabolic circuits almost exclusively when I'm in the gym. I didn't start doing it because I heard it was better, I did it because it keeps things interesting since you are constantly doing something. Plus I then have the time knock out a total body work out if I want (I do a lot of combo moves in my circuits); strength training the traditional way would take forever to do total body.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I do metabolic circuits almost exclusively when I'm in the gym. I didn't start doing it because I heard it was better, I did it because it keeps things interesting since you are constantly doing something. Plus I then have the time knock out a total body work out if I want (I do a lot of combo moves in my circuits); strength training the traditional way would take forever to do total body.
I recently switched to MRT for several reasons. First, my primary goal is no longer gaining muscle and/or strength. My main goal is to shed unwanted fat and get leaner. Second, I cut my workout time in half. With traditional weight training, I could never do enough sets that hit all major muscle groups and do it in under an hour. Instead, I would have to do a 3-day split and really only work each muscle once per week on top of having a longer workout session. I much prefer MRT. Shorter workouts, better for fat burning, and works the whole body instead of just part of it. But boy is it hard. There are moments there where I feel like my heart is about to burst out of my chest. The hardest part for me is getting all the weights set up ahead of time. And there are certain sequences that I just can't do. For example, barbell bench press immediately followed by barbell squat since it would require putting weight and taking it off the bar. But I'm a big convert now in MRT. Now I just need to come up better workout plans.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I recently switched to MRT for several reasons. First, my primary goal is no longer gaining muscle and/or strength. My main goal is to shed unwanted fat and get leaner. Second, I cut my workout time in half. With traditional weight training, I could never do enough sets that hit all major muscle groups and do it in under an hour. Instead, I would have to do a 3-day split and really only work each muscle once per week on top of having a longer workout session. I much prefer MRT. Shorter workouts, better for fat burning, and works the whole body instead of just part of it. But boy is it hard. There are moments there where I feel like my heart is about to burst out of my chest. The hardest part for me is getting all the weights set up ahead of time. And there are certain sequences that I just can't do. For example, barbell bench press immediately followed by barbell squat since it would require putting weight and taking it off the bar. But I'm a big convert now in MRT. Now I just need to come up better workout plans.
I think you just have to play around with it until you come up with a group of circuits that make sense based on the weights you use. For instance I go from a bench press to a Romanian deadlift simply because I use the same weight for each. Have fun with it! And if you want to kick up fat burning even more, jump rope for a minute after every circuit, or do jump squats, or any other activity that quickly boosts your heart rate. (I add that in for the month before a beach vacation!)

Old 10-08-2010, 10:28 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,997,305 times
I never really thought about it, but I end up doing a mix of MRT (for example, curls followed immediately with forearm curls, or bench press followed immediately by squats), and HIIT cardio (via treadmill, running at 4mph/9mph sprint intervals, 1 minute each, 7 sets). Doing this has allowed me to become alot more "cut", but I still have room to improve.

I agree with Denny on the workout times.. it is so much more improved. I can go through the MRT style workouts, with HIIT afterwards in about 45 minutes. Its a real butt kicker, but my energy levels are sooo much higher now!

Ian

Old 10-11-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I think you just have to play around with it until you come up with a group of circuits that make sense based on the weights you use. For instance I go from a bench press to a Romanian deadlift simply because I use the same weight for each. Have fun with it! And if you want to kick up fat burning even more, jump rope for a minute after every circuit, or do jump squats, or any other activity that quickly boosts your heart rate. (I add that in for the month before a beach vacation!)
One sequence I really like is bench press immediately followed by bent-over row. In general, I'm trying to pair up exercises that work opposing muscle groups. The example I gave where you have a chest exercise followed by a back exercise is a great pairing. I'm also trying to favor compound exercises and avoid isolation movements. So while tricep extension/bicep curl would seem like a good pairing, a better one would be dips/pullups. I haven't been doing anything between circuits but I might try adding it in. A while back when I was doing traditional weight training, instead of resting between sets, I would do some cardio to keep my heart rate up. But that still meant having a workout session that lasted an hour. With MRT, I rest 30 seconds between each superset and rest 2 minutes between each circuit. So now I may sprinkle in a little cardio between circuits and perhaps between supersets.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
One sequence I really like is bench press immediately followed by bent-over row. In general, I'm trying to pair up exercises that work opposing muscle groups. The example I gave where you have a chest exercise followed by a back exercise is a great pairing. I'm also trying to favor compound exercises and avoid isolation movements. So while tricep extension/bicep curl would seem like a good pairing, a better one would be dips/pullups. I haven't been doing anything between circuits but I might try adding it in. A while back when I was doing traditional weight training, instead of resting between sets, I would do some cardio to keep my heart rate up. But that still meant having a workout session that lasted an hour. With MRT, I rest 30 seconds between each superset and rest 2 minutes between each circuit. So now I may sprinkle in a little cardio between circuits and perhaps between supersets.
I don't think that hard about pairing, nothing beyond ease of equipment use. I just don't see a benefit great enough to overcome the fact that I don't care. So long as I work every muscle group on a regular basis I am happy; to go beyond that will cause an improper balance to my life.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I don't think that hard about pairing, nothing beyond ease of equipment use. I just don't see a benefit great enough to overcome the fact that I don't care. So long as I work every muscle group on a regular basis I am happy; to go beyond that will cause an improper balance to my life.
I'm trying to make sure I work every muscle group as well. But I also know it's harder to do two exercises in a row that work the same muscle group, bench press followed by dips for example. The reason I like to alternate between opposing groups is because it lets me rest one group while I'm working the other. I've found that I can do more reps this way as opposed to doing supersets.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,617 times
Default Metabolic Fitness

Metabolic fitness is continuous exercise using different muscle groups. The first thing to do is start with oposing mucles (Biceps-Triceps) step2 choose your weapons. I prefer TRX because there is virtualy no change over time and no changing weights.

Do your bicep curls to failure, go right into tricep exercise and continue to failure. I then go to hammer curls and continue to failure. Then change hand position to palms down and do wrist curls. Your arms should now be toast. Take a rest only long enough to continue on to the next muscle groups quads and hamstrings. work the quads to failure then go right into hamstring work and continue to failure.

Continue this process until you have worked all the body parts that you want to hit.

Benefits: great aroebic work out; takes less time, muscle balance, overtraining not a big concern since you are using different muscles, burns a ton of fat. Do this 3-4 times per week. I f this doesn't kick your but you are not working hard enough! To switch it up, change individual exercises or the order that they are performed.

Final opinion: complete body weight workout, 15-20 minutes, can be at done at home or out side and I have lost 42 pounds and 5" off my waist.

IT WORKS FOR ME!!

Doug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness