Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:59 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a list of the pros and cons of metabolic resistance training and traditional weight training? By traditional, I mean the kind where you do a set of 8-12 reps, rest for a minute or two, repeat two more times, and then move on to another exercise. I'm not so interested in the time each type of workout takes. I already know that metabolic resistance training is intended for people who are short on time. Rather, I'm interested in learning which is more effective for fat loss, which helps you gain strength, which raises your metabolism more, which can be performed more often, which one needs to be varied more often, which is more prone to injury, etc. Obviously, your workout routine depends on what your goals are. While I wouldn't mind having more muscle mass, that's not my primary goal right now. What I'm more interested in is fitness and keeping the unwanted fat off. I'm also interested in doing something that's easy to stick with and won't leave me burned out. I've been lifting weights for a number of years now, but have been slow to embrace metabolic resistance training. But now I'm wondering whether it's a better fit for what I'm trying to achieve. If you can provide specific rules that I should adhere to as far as exercise grouping, rest periods, frequency, duration, etc., that would be extremely helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:11 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Can anyone give me a list of the pros and cons of metabolic resistance training and traditional weight training?
Here's a place you might want to have a look at:
Factors Affecting the Length of the Rest Interval Between Resistance Exercise Sets | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
Lyle McDonald really knows his stuff and many people recommend his books and training information.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Here's a place you might want to have a look at:
Factors Affecting the Length of the Rest Interval Between Resistance Exercise Sets | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
Lyle McDonald really knows his stuff and many people recommend his books and training information.
Thanks. I've actually been reading Lyle's stuff for quite a while now so I'm pretty familiar with his writings. I guess I was looking for some more clear cut.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:27 PM

548 posts, read 1,479,036 times
I am not that knowledgeable on the subject, but I will say that metabolic resistance training has worked REALLY well for me. I had a personal trainer before and didn't achieve the results that I am getting now in less than half the time. There's a girl at my gym who started crossfit 2 years ago. She looks like a completely different person now, having lost a ton of weight and inches. For more information on this type of training and programming, you could check out crossfit online.

Sorry I don't have anything else for you. Hopefully someone will give you the info you're looking for.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
There's a girl at my gym who started crossfit 2 years ago. She looks like a completely different person now, having lost a ton of weight and inches. For more information on this type of training and programming, you could check out crossfit online.
I went and checked it out. Found this interesting link:
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...sue1_Sep02.pdf

I like this idea. Right now I have a small setup in my basement, but I could always improve on it.

Sorry I couldn't give you better info DennyCrane. Glad that you're already familiar with Lyle McDonald.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Sorry I couldn't give you better info DennyCrane. Glad that you're already familiar with Lyle McDonald.
I'm a big fan of his. I'm glad he's not one of these people who thinks steady-state cardio is all bad and interval training is all good. I can't the so-called experts who view health and fitness in such black-and-white terms.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Ive been meaning to respond to this thread for the past few days but have too much to say. I'll be brief and just say that metabolic training is superior to traditional type training in just about every way UNLESS you are into body building.

If its fitness and fat burning you are looking for, metabolic training is definitely the way to go.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Ive been meaning to respond to this thread for the past few days but have too much to say. I'll be brief and just say that metabolic training is superior to traditional type training in just about every way UNLESS you are into body building.

If its fitness and fat burning you are looking for, metabolic training is definitely the way to go.
I was wondering why you hadn't responded. I thought this question was a gimme for you and I fully expected you to not only be the first to reply, but also the one who had the most to say on this subject.

As I explained in my original post, my goal isn't to gain muscle, but to achieve greater fitness and keep the unwanted fat off. I firmly believe that weight training should be part of everyone's workout regimen, regardless of what their goals are. But my regimen also includes steady-state cardio and HIIT. One reason why I stuck to traditional weight training was that I didn't want to risk overtraining my legs. I already do HIIT twice a week. So on a 3-day split for my weight training, that only meant I would have one additional day of intense leg work. With MRT, can you still do the kind of splits that you do with traditional weight training? Most of the workouts I see call for a full-body routine for each session. So I guess what I'm really looking for here is advice on how to structure my MRT workouts so that I can integrate into the rest of my routine without overtraining my legs.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 PM

286 posts, read 535,231 times
I am not sure what metaboic fitness training is, it is HIIT?

I've found the best thing for keeping fat off my body is my running and working out to a
DVD called Tonique. It's all squats and lunges, high reps, low weights. I've been doing Tonique for three months and my legs have never been as solid as they are now. I've been doing heavy weights, low reps for years and thought all was fine until I went this route. Great results

Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykatt View Post
I am not sure what metaboic fitness training is, it is HIIT?
HIIT is different the MRT. HIIT is a form of cardio where you alternate between high intensity and low intensity periods. MRT is essentially cardio with weights. Instead of traditional weight training where you do a set of repetitions, rest and repeat a few more times, MRT has you doing high volume sets of exercises that work opposing muscle groups with no rest between. For example, you'd do a bench press set immediately followed by a bent-over row set, rest 30 seconds, and then repeat. This has the advantage of squeezing in a high volume of work into a short period of time. And because the rest periods are so small, you end up giving a major boost to your metabolism. The downside is that the workout isn't really geared towards gaining muscle and strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness