Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSAngel View Post
Try taking vitamin B12 supplements or vitamin B complex (I don't know if One-A-Day products have B vitamins specifically, but there are some good B vitamin brands at the organic store).
It speeds up metabolism, from what I found out, but it is also known to stimulate appetite.
Really? All right. I'll give that a try. I am taking Biotin and vitamin C right now. I guess it doesn't hurt to add vitamin B12 or B. Is it safe to take this much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 PM

83 posts, read 147,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missvang View Post
Really? All right. I'll give that a try. I am taking Biotin and vitamin C right now. I guess it doesn't hurt to add vitamin B12 or B. Is it safe to take this much?
I had that same question I was told at the store that it would not be an overdose to take B vitamins in addition to C.

However, I wasn't really comfortable with that, since taking B and C from separate...er...bottles... could add up to different doses of other stuff that you probably already got your day's worth from one bottle (sounds complicated, yeah, I know). So I switched to multivitamins.

The multivitamins I have contain a sufficient dose of daily B12 vitamins, in addition to the other types.

I got it at the organic store, so I don't know comparable brands at regular stores. That way, there would be no need to have two or three bottles of vitamins - Just have it all in one dose

Old 07-22-2010, 09:24 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSAngel View Post
I had that same question I was told at the store that it would not be an overdose to take B vitamins in addition to C.

However, I wasn't really comfortable with that, since taking B and C from separate...er...bottles... could add up to different doses of other stuff that you probably already got your day's worth from one bottle (sounds complicated, yeah, I know). So I switched to multivitamins.

The multivitamins I have contain a sufficient dose of daily B12 vitamins, in addition to the other types.

I got it at the organic store, so I don't know comparable brands at regular stores. That way, there would be no need to have two or three bottles of vitamins - Just have it all in one dose
Ahh all right. Thank you very much! I will try to find some good multivitamins.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
In my personal experience I have found that fasting once a week or skipping a few meals actually speeds up my metabolism....but that could just work for me. However I maintain my body weight at 125 pounds and I am 5'5" tall. My weight has remained near constant for over 20 years and I am now 50 plus. I also take a multivitamin.....multimineral daily.....even on the days that I fast.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,126 times
Arrow metabolism booster

Skipping meals slows metabolism. Another cause (underdiagnosed) is hormonal imbalance. Low DHEA and Cortisol levels are often the culprit. Until these are restored,
<a href=http://youthrestorationclinic.com>metabolism</a> remains slow and weight loss is challenging

Old 09-04-2010, 04:19 PM

51 posts, read 77,681 times
Yes, to be on time to eat three meals a day, hungry, the metabolism will slow,

Old 09-08-2010, 02:37 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Slow down metabolism, me? I doubt that would happen. For me, skipping a meal could be real bad. Being one of those people who have to eat every couple of hours isnt always easy.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
In my personal experience I have found that fasting once a week or skipping a few meals actually speeds up my metabolism....but that could just work for me.
It has to do with the fact that you do it once a week, and not the entire week.

To answer the question, yes. That's why diets always fail. Your body is programmed to operate on a certain number of calories per day.

That programming is done by you.

Because of millions of years of evolution, your body is also programmed to recognize and interpret any change or alteration as a form of environmental stress.

As a result, your metabolism slows to conserve energy (which is why diets ultimately fail).

To counter that, you must exercise. You can walk for exercise, provided that you actually walk and not saunter or sashay about.

If you aren't walking one mile in 12-15 minutes, then you aren't walking (but you are wasting your time).

That will boost your metabolism because you're forcing your body to provide extra energy to compensate for the reduction in calories.

You should be eating all day long.

I have a couple of slices of salami or summer sausage with havarti cheese for breakfast, or some eggs or even sausage gravy and biscuits with hash browns (home-made of course and not the oil-goo stuffed crap) and pancakes on weekends.

A pear, apple or nectarine a few hours later, then lunch, then carrots or celery (sometimes with peanut butter) or raisins, then dinner, then popcorn.

It sounds like a lot but it really isn't. It's only 2000 - 2500 calories. Sometimes I'll have a big 4,000 calorie day on weekends with a big Italian dinner and lots of fresh baked bread.

I don't do "diet foods." Everything I eat is real (and not full of oil-goo), but then I only drink maybe one or two cans of soda-pop per week, if even that much.

I also cook everything with butter, but it's clarified butter. I stick 5 pounds of butter in a pot and let it melt, then skim off and throw away all the fat and whey, leaving just the oil. I keep it in the fridge and use it through the week (it's great for the popcorn).

Also as soon as you stop eating oil-goo foods and start eating natural foods sans chemicals, you'll notice a decrease in weight, especially if you're exercising.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:49 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,258 times
It's easily provable. Just eat you daily calorie limit per day in one portion and next month in 5 portions. If difference is less than 10%, I would say it's BS.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 AM

647 posts, read 2,083,331 times
I don't think that skippping meals slows down the metabolism. I've gone for a long while eating just one meal per day and I still workout and stay around 185 lbs. I may just be an oddball, though. It may be just an individual matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness