Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 AM

12 posts, read 25,682 times

Advertisements

Minus squats and deadlifts what are the best workouts to strengthen and make your butt and hamstrings more explosive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Stair-climbing. If you're talking about exercises with weights, you've already named the big two.

Some would also recommend straight-leg deads and/or good mornings. I would recommend against either of those, because you're risking back injury when you lift weights with a motion that involves standing up against resistance with your legs straight. Basically, if you do those exercises you're purposely doing exactly what doctors recommend to avoid doing when lifting heavy objects. Besides, these two exercises are probably more for looks than performance anyway. The big, compound lifts generally are the best to enhance overall strengthe and athletic performance.

The other exercise with weights you might consider is leg curls, if those interest you. With leg curls you should be careful to avoid straining the knees, by avoiding bringing your calves up much beyond a right angle with your thighs. Personally, I prefer the compound movements anyway. Adding stair-climbing, at varying speeds, to squats and standard deads should go along way toward enhancing the power of these muscles.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Box jumps...

YouTube - DeFrancosGym.com - Brian Cushing 50" seated box jump wearing 20lb. weight vest!!!

Resistance sprints - Medicine ball training...

YouTube - 2009 NFL Draft Brian Cushing Workout

Old 07-16-2010, 08:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Jumping rope is good too.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM

157 posts, read 332,518 times
Lying leg curls with the machines are good for hamstrings, stiff legged deadlifts are good for hams too, but works your lower back at the same time. For glutes outside of squats, lunges works great for me, it adds strength and increased my squats

Old 07-16-2010, 10:59 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Go hiking on a mountain if you have one nearby. It's like stair-climbing, only less boring.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:41 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
My butt is is insanely awesome. You would guess it is a 20 year old ass, not a 40 year old one. If I posted a pic in profile view, you would agree.

Box jumps are great. Any kind of jumping really. Sometimes I touch my toes in a semi-squat and jump as high as I can while lifting my arms upward. Weighted squats as you know are great. So are lunges. I do a lot of moves with that pulley weight thing at the gym, don't know what it is called, basically stand on one leg and kick the other one back and then come up to a balance while squeezing m buttocks - sorry for the bad explanation. And I bike a lot, many hills. And when doing card at the gym, on the elliptical I crack the incline to 10 a lot to hit those glutes.

As for hamstrings, nothing wrong with those deads as a previous poster claimed. If your form is proper, it isn't a problem.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:02 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athleticakkid View Post
Minus squats and deadlifts what are the best workouts to strengthen and make your butt and hamstrings more explosive?
LOL. You are the first football playing guy Ive ever heard of who wants to get his "butt and hamstrings more explosive". Just dont ever let your teammates know this is what you want to do.

You mentioned before that your coaches gave you a routine to do. Why not just follow that?

What do you have against using free weights? Do you not have any equipment available to you?

Plyometric training would be the best for you if you dont want to use any equipment. 24" 36" box jumps and even 25 yard dash of running/hopping on one leg.

Check out some of the things included in this video. Especially the weighted routine the black girl is doing at the 24 second mark.

YouTube - Speed Training & Power Development

Old 07-17-2010, 07:53 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,824 times
Mexican food makes my butt more explosive.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:55 PM

181 posts, read 598,647 times
most underrated lift in the world for the entire posterior chain that i stand behind 2000% of the time for helping increase my deadlift is the cable pullthrough. I'm not into machines, and my workouts focus on the main lifts like squats, deads, bench, etc. Having said that, this machine has kicked my ass (no pun intended) into amazing shape. Also, leg curls, glute ham raises, stiff legged deads, box squats, lunges will all be great for your hamstrings/ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness