Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,970 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry about mile times, since they'll get better the more you run. A good goal would be good running form, since it'll reduce injury and improve speed. Try to be relaxed, and have smooth, quiet feet. Plenty of videos on youtube about this.

Anyway, sounds like you're having fun... keep it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,512 times
Congrats. I'm still not ready physically, though I'm ready mentally.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 AM

286 posts, read 535,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think that is great. 10 minute mile is what I run, for an hour straight, so I get a better work out then somebody running 7 minute miles for 15 minutes.

Thank you Merlot, I agree. I run for 60 to 90 minutes right now and I feel great during and after my run.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:48 PM

286 posts, read 535,448 times
I run from seven to twelve miles per run. If I could, I'd run for six hours a day.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I do the occasional hiking, biking and a lot of stair master but I have never really ran since football/hockey days in highschool. I did my campus loop today (~3.2 miles) in about 33 minutes.

Is a 10 minute mile a good starting point? I'm fairly husky and my legs are very stout and strong, I am definitely not built like gazelle as most serious runners are. I am weary of impact exercises, not due to any physical issues but rather the worry of them in the future. I don't really know enough to say either way I just play it safe. On the flip side, running seems to work out a wider array of muscles since I can feel it all over.

I have no ambitions to compete in any sort of running event but I would like to plateau at a respectable min/mile rate. Considering that, what is a good yet reasonable goal to strive for? And maybe some of you can fill me in on my impact exercise worries.

Thanks!

You are off to a fantastic start. When I started running two years ago after a long layoff I would be lucky to finish one mile in under 10 minutes let alone three. Keep it up and be sure to stretch.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:38 AM

111 posts, read 313,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
10 minute mile is what I run, for an hour straight, so I get a better work out then somebody running 7 minute miles for 15 minutes.
Anyone who runs 6 miles as opposed to 2 miles will get a better workout. When you're just starting out, or coming off a long layoff, time is more important than mileage as other posters have pointed out. It's about giving your heart the workout, your legs can recover from a run, but pay attention to your heart rate and how it reacts when you wake up and go about your day. If it seems slightly elevated or uncomfortable, take a rest day and see how you feel the day after. Running is a slow exercise for your body to get used to, but incredibly rewarding when done correctly. Keep up the good work.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:57 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Also, what kind of distances does everyone typically run? Thanks.
I am pretty much a constant 5k runner. Depending on the type of run I am doing that day, my time ranges from 19 minutes (if going for constant speed) to 26 minutes (if mixing in HIIT or if my Nike Shox shoelaces keep coming loose).

I am also really getting into parkour type boulder running/jumping. For this, I dont really concern myself with time or distance because a lot of it is going uphill almost like a mountain climb, and there are some major jumps involved as well.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
I have no ambitions to compete in any sort of running event but I would like to plateau at a respectable min/mile rate. Considering that, what is a good yet reasonable goal to strive for? And maybe some of you can fill me in on my impact exercise worries.

Thanks!
As far as a goal is concerned, I say aim to beat your previous runs by at least a second. Timing (i.e., intensity) is REALLY where its at for fitness. Heck, my grandmother and mother go out for their run/walks everyday for 30-90 minutes (depending on their schedule) but it doesnt mean they are really getting the most out of their routine. For two old ladies this is not bad, but for you I say try to go faster and faster.

If you do ten minute mile now, next time out, try for 9:58, then 9:57 and so on.

For your impact concerns I HIGHLY recommend:

1. A GREAT paid of shoes. Not just a good pair, but the most expensive pair you can afford. Dont listen to anyone's hogwash about "Oh cheaper shoes are just as good as expensive shoes...." b.s. because that is BALONEY.

2. Get your shoes fitted at a dedicated running store. They will video tape your gait and make recommendations on the best type of shoe for your feet. There is no charge for this but it is definitely priceless info to have.

3. Get some CW/X running tights - CW-X Conditioning Wear I know being a guy you may be apprehensive about running around in tights (I know I was) but after getting my CW/X Stabilix running tights which have built in muscle stabilzers, I not only increased my speed/time in all my running, but it really helps prevent injuries as well. I have turned a lot of my friends on to these because they WORK.

4. Take a couple of sessions from a certified running coach. They will video tape your run, make assessments on your gait and help you make adjustments to prevent injury and to increase your speed and distance. Some people this is useless, but it could be invaluable for you. I think of it like getting a hitting coach in baseball. Sure, anyone can swing a bat (or run) but having a professional coach to help fine tune it WILL make things better.

Oh, and get yourself the Nike+ iPod. I never run without mine.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:58 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
Guys, can I ask in all honesty, how do you get yourself to run at all? I've been walking for many years now (I walk at 3.7 MPH), and my legs still give out after about 2 miles. If I try to run I can barely breathe after about a half mile, and it'll take days for my legs to un-cramp (and yes I do stretch). I've never been able to run very far (I'm OK at doing short sprints, just not distance). Should I just opt for something else, like bike riding?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Guys, can I ask in all honesty, how do you get yourself to run at all? I've been walking for many years now (I walk at 3.7 MPH), and my legs still give out after about 2 miles. If I try to run I can barely breathe after about a half mile, and it'll take days for my legs to un-cramp (and yes I do stretch). I've never been able to run very far (I'm OK at doing short sprints, just not distance). Should I just opt for something else, like bike riding?
Try pacing yourself. Next time you go for a walk, jog for 100 paces or 50. The next time make it 200, or 150. The point is make your progress progressive. Start from where you are and gradually step by step improve your performance.

I'm not the best person for running advice. But I do like the bicycle. Try it also. See what you think.

Are you doing any strength training? If you are having trouble with performance possibly you need to improve on other areas in order to improve your endurance.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness