Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:32 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
How do you know that? Exercise improves circulation which in turns optimizes immune system function. Bread actually weakens the immune system because of some of the toxins it contains. So by exercising and not eating bread, you're reducing your chances of infection.
I think exercise helps to keep your blood sugar at a healthy level. When blood sugar rises - often, but not always, due to lack of exercise and/or poor diet - people become more prone to infections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think exercise helps to keep your blood sugar at a healthy level. When blood sugar rises - often, but not always, due to lack of exercise and/or poor diet - people become more prone to infections.
Keeping blood sugar at a healthy level has more to do with your hormones, things like insulin and glucagon. But a well functioning immune system has more to do with giving your body the necessary vitamins, minerals and nutrients as well as healthy circulation since you need to get white blood cells to wherever the foreign invaders are and quickly shuttle them out of the body.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
Quote:
Second, this is the first time in human history where the average lifespan is expected to decline. Why? Because despite all our advances in modern medicine, too many of us are doing things to hinder those gains.
Within my own family I've noticed how lifestyle is changing people's health. When I was a child growing up in the country we used to take walks down the road or walk for hours across the cow pastures after supper to "help our food digest". I remember the grownups saying that "I believe I ate too much and feel too full...let's go for a walk". Course walking was fun back then cause you were out in nature and enjoyed the flowers and watching the changing seasons along the way. And as a kid I played from daylight till dark outside running, climbing and riding bikes. Being forced to live in surburbia or the city has ruined that way of life when my family was healthy. No one in family ever went to the doctor back then! And none of us were fat back then!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Illness and disease are man-made constructs used to describe a collection of symptoms that may or may not all have the same root cause.
Here's a good example- if you suck at math you now have what is called Mathematics Disorder. I laughed in the woman's face who diagnosed me with that! I've never had the coordination for some reason to skip rope, so I guess I have Skipping Disorder too!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:32 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Being forced to live in surburbia or the city has ruined that way of life when my family was healthy. No one in family ever went to the doctor back then! And none of us were fat back then!
Living in the suburbs or the city doesn't have to ruin anything. In my neighborhood, I see a family who goes for after-dinner walks. None of them look like they're trying to lose weight. I think they just do it for the sake of getting some air. But that sort of thing isn't very common these days. Good luck finding a family who even eats dinner together at the table.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 19,227 times
I have nothing personally against prescription meds- they might be necessary for some people- but I personally am very happy not needing to take any. I prefer not to take things that could screw with my body (besides the occasional alcoholic beverage). I imagine its also a pain to remember to take various things throughout the day.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Adding green leafy vegetables to the diet and cutting out sugar won't cure someone with alzheimer's disease, or a broken leg, or treat her asthma.
Actually I had severe asthma until age 37. I cured it as did one of my friends who cured hers that was even more severe and also another woman we met. We didn't even know about the other woman until our allergist told us about her. We all did it the same way and no it wasn't green leafy vegetables, but either way you wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I suspect too that ph of the body matters. Seems like the more alkaline a person's system is the more resistant to infection they are. Acidic people appear to be prone to more diseases. Things that increase acidity are things like bread, grains, sugar and medications.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Living in the suburbs or the city doesn't have to ruin anything. In my neighborhood, I see a family who goes for after-dinner walks. None of them look like they're trying to lose weight. I think they just do it for the sake of getting some air. But that sort of thing isn't very common these days. Good luck finding a family who even eats dinner together at the table.
I think its all in where you live. Some towns are too air polluted for it to be safe many days for a family walk as after all breathing in engine exhaust really isn't good for you. Other neighborhoods I have lived in are nothing but narrow paved roads unsafe to walk on with no side walk and all privately owned so there is no grass you can legally walk on, fields and woods are gone. Also have lived in neighborhoods you wouldn't dare walk outside in without carrying a gun and saying a prayer before you left the house.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Actually I had severe asthma until age 37. I cured it as did one of my friends who cured hers that was even more severe and also another woman we met. We didn't even know about the other woman until our allergist told us about her. We all did it the same way and no it wasn't green leafy vegetables, but either way you wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Let me guess how you cured it. Diet and exercise?

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-19-2010 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness