Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

I drink diet soda. I recently switched to caffeine-free varieties because the caffeine in them was dehydrating me and triggering migraines. Once I get over my caffeine addiction (am still in the tapering off process) I will focus on cutting out sodas entirely. They are pretty expensive and in addition to aspartame not being great for you, they also irritate your stomach and bladder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
How weak/stupid can people be to say "Oh, I just have to have my diet coke/pepsi, etc." Ridiculous.
And how ridiculous is it for anyone to get his or her panties in a bunch because of what other people eat or drink. Among them be it.

The colas and Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew do have plenty of caffeine in them, which can for some people be pretty addicting; no different from someone saying they just have to have their jolt of coffee in the morning. Diet Coke even contains slightly more caffeine than regular Coke.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
I like Diet pop and I've never been fat. Or even close to it.

Diet Sunkist FTW.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBlesstheUSA View Post
Let's hypothetically say over the next 6 months I will work out, eat well, and sleep well.

Now let's say all conditions from above stay the same except I introduce a few Diet sodas in to my meal plan throughout the day.

What will that mean over the course of that time period? Is diet soda enough of a variable to throw my body fat % of by 1 or 2 points, or will the diet soda and the artificial sugar do x, y, z to me?

I am just curious. I am embarking on a disciplined program for the next 6 months. I have no problem cutting candy and junk food out, but diet soda is my one weakness.

Thank you for your help.
You would be well advised to cease drinking soda at all if health and wellness is truly your goal. Diet soda usually contains aspartame which was developed as an insecticide and it was only discovered later that it has a sweetening ability. It has a detrimental affect on your neurological processes and has even been linked to some diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson's Disease.

Nothwithstanding the fact that it contains Aspartame, diet soda also contains high levels of sodium which can interfere with the delicate electrolyce balance that is responsible for the smooth functioning of your cardiovascular system. As if that weren't bad enough, high levels of phosphoric acid cause your bones to leach calcium (one of the reasons for high incidence of osteoporosis in the US).

You would be much better off to drink some type of fruit juice or even water with lemon which has an cleansing effect on the body.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-01-2010, 04:21 AM

3 posts, read 7,621 times
Do not drink diet soda.Exercise is better than diet.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I drink diet soda. I recently switched to caffeine-free varieties because the caffeine in them was dehydrating me and triggering migraines. Once I get over my caffeine addiction (am still in the tapering off process) I will focus on cutting out sodas entirely. They are pretty expensive and in addition to aspartame not being great for you, they also irritate your stomach and bladder.
You make several good points there. I worried about health concerns related to diet sodas, even the caffiene-free kind. What finally made me stop purchasing them was thinking about the cost. A 12-pk depending on whether its on sale or not can cost from $4-6 then I was buying 3-4 packs a week. That's a lot extra added to your grocery bill when you can buy a large box of caffiene-free green tea for maybe $4 that has 20 or more servings in it. Or you can just have water.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
You're buying 3-4 12-packs of soda every week? You -should- worry about your health then.

I'd worry about my health if I drank a whole 12-pack a week, let alone 3-4 of them. That's 36 sodas minimum, every week? Are you kidding me? The fact that you haven't keeled over already is testament to the miracle of life, not to any effort on your part to be healthy.

Why should anyone have to eliminate soda entirely from their diet if they're not diabetic or have other illness which precludes the allowance for drinking it?

*A* diet soda a couple times a week won't hurt anyone. Neither will *a* regularly sweetened soda a couple times a week. Diabetes, hypoglycemia, caffeine intolerance and incontinence aside (some sodas act as diuretics), there's nothing wrong with a couple sodas every week.

There's no reason anyone who is moderately healthy to feel like it has to be an either/or situation.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're buying 3-4 12-packs of soda every week? You -should- worry about your health then.

I'd worry about my health if I drank a whole 12-pack a week, let alone 3-4 of them. That's 36 sodas minimum, every week? Are you kidding me? The fact that you haven't keeled over already is testament to the miracle of life, not to any effort on your part to be healthy.
I *was* buying sodas. Not for awhile now. While not healthy I don't think anyone will keel over from drinking them. You make it sound like instant death. The aspartame seems to cause headaches...may cause other problems but instantaneous death is not one of them. BTW-anyone noticed many of the protein drinks have aspartame or sucralose in them? So there are bodybuilders consuming it who probably don't know it. Some Gatorades also have sucralose as does that Propel water and no doubt others as well.

Interestingly our gym just added a row of Pepsi and Mountain Dew in the Gatorade machine this week. And I only know this because the machine is right by the entrance to ladies locker room. Never bought anything from the machine. I take my own water. Won't even drink from the water fountain because of all the germs.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Hate to admit it, but I do like soda. Regular, that is. Can't touch that diet crap.

I'm very slender and in great shape though. I agree with others that the majority of people I see drinking diet soda are overweight.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I am thin. I watch what I eat. I rarely eat sweets, don't need too, my soda is sweet.

Overweight people that drink diet soda, probably think they can eat all they want............because, after all, they did have a "diet" soda.

And, BTW, I am 57 yrs. old and my teeth have not corroded away...........I have all of them too.
I am thin too, watch what I eat and don't eat much sweets except for the soda.
I'm 29 and still have all my teeth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness