Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:41 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
"Fat chick" threads in various forms of attempted mod-busting disguise manage to pop up constantly around the various CD boards...you aren't looking hard enough if this is the best "ah-ha!" you can pull out.

One just got locked today after something like a five year stint, on a related board.

With that said, feel free to report if this particular thread, about men (for a change), is troubling you.
Ya, I notice this one has been around for six years and is still alive and kicking. I don't think my post was meant to be an "ah-ha" to fellow readers of this thread, but it is a keen observation that female related threads would get shut down rather quickly which you just seemed to agree with. Neither thread types bother me actually, but I find it amusing this one is allowed to continue on since it's about body shaming a male versus female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 08:55 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Ya, I notice this one has been around for six years and is still alive and kicking. I don't think my post was meant to be an "ah-ha" to fellow readers of this thread, but it is a keen observation that female related threads would get shut down rather quickly which you just seemed to agree with. Neither thread types bother me actually, but I find it amusing this one is allowed to continue on since it's about body shaming a male versus female.
I understand.

I'll say again: the one about BBWs that just got shut down had lasted five years and was hundreds of posts long. Much, much longer than this one.

Hence, it would not appear to be a case of a thread being allowed to continue because it is male rather than female body-shaming. The female one (among many many many others) went on and on for five years with hundreds of "opinions" stated, "most men don't want fat women" being the dominant repeated statement (I mean literally, outright stated like that).

You're not seeing this accurately, so I hope I have helped clear this up.

ETA: correction - four years, more than 600 posts. Still far from "shut down rather quickly" unless you consider four years quick.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:23 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I attended with my husband his 30 year class reunion recently and was shocked how many men had big bellies. Including my husband who is skinny every where else except for his belly. I noticed just about every other thin or skinny guy his age has a big belly too. What is it about middle aged men and big bellies?

Do you know anyone over 45 who has a rock hard stomach who is not working out 3 hours a day? Is a big belly just part of a middle aged man's experience?
This is symptom of poor bad fat distribution attributed to an American diet.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:40 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
My husband has the same issue. He is not clinically overweight. He works out nearly every day - cardio 5-6 days a week and strength training 3-4 days a week. He runs a 5 or 10 K once a month. His arms, legs, and back are actually pretty cut. He just has a gut. He really doesn't eat that much, and he basically eats whatever I cook, which is pretty healthy. However, his issue is carbs. He does have a couple of beers a day. If I make pork tenderloin and grilled asparagus (like I did last night), he will grab some bread to add to it and wash it down with a couple of beers. He'll eat cereal (granted a lower-sugar kind, but still high in carbs) or yogurt and some fruit for breakfast. He doesn't think he eats that many carbs, but he eats more than he thinks. Even though his calorie intake isn't very high, his carb intake is. I bet if he cut carbs, his stomach would flatten out.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:11 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
First, this is a 6 yr old thread.

Second, I wonder that the OP looks like as she criticizes her husband, his friend, and whines about the bodies of all other middle aged men.

Third, why does it take her going to an event to understand this? Has she never gone outside before this? Does she not know that a person’s body ages? I recently went to my 8 yr old kid’s class and noticed that my kid needs a new pair of shoes because his feet got bigger. Then I noticed that some other kid’s feet in his class also got bigger. Is that a common thing with kid’s at that age? Do all their feet grow like that? It’s not just my kid, it’s his friend’s too! Their feet got bigger but their hands appear to be the same size. It’s so surprising.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:09 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
There's a book about how to lose belly fat which is incredibly unhealthy. Most everyone finds staying fit difficult as they age.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:38 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
this is easy...your hubby is apple shaped.

i know some pear shaped men with flattish tummies.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:08 AM

421 posts, read 423,185 times
As you can see and already knew me, I am middle of 50's, but I have FLAT belly, no GUT, not a shape of apple ...LOL somewhat I have the SIX-PACK Abs....

How to maintain flat belly?

The answer is : Weight and m/c workout, build a lean MUSCLE which works 24x7 to burn the FAT...(Diet also, clean food)

Old 07-03-2016, 09:42 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
There's a book about how to lose belly fat which is incredibly unhealthy. Most everyone finds staying fit difficult as they age.
Its easier to stay fit early on then get that way when older. I started working out regularly (3-4 times a week in the Gym) and quit smoking totally about 2 years ago. Its been harder to lose fat at 40. Arms, back, chest and legs have grown muscle wise a great deal but little fat loss. My case its not just due to age, tortilla chips, ice cream very hard to resist sadly. I stand 5' 10' 200 + LBS though the gym time made me way more proportionate. My point here is one MUST watch the diet as well, which accounts for much of health. I also wish I started going to the gym regularly when younger but the past is the past

Nothing was better the ditching the cigarettes though.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:24 PM

472 posts, read 438,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Its easier to stay fit early on then get that way when older. I started working out regularly (3-4 times a week in the Gym) and quit smoking totally about 2 years ago. Its been harder to lose fat at 40. Arms, back, chest and legs have grown muscle wise a great deal but little fat loss. My case its not just due to age, tortilla chips, ice cream very hard to resist sadly. I stand 5' 10' 200 + LBS though the gym time made me way more proportionate. My point here is one MUST watch the diet as well, which accounts for much of health. I also wish I started going to the gym regularly when younger but the past is the past

Nothing was better the ditching the cigarettes though.
What kind of exercises should one do to lose said fat? And how long do you spend at the gym? Most importantly, what do you usually eat each day?

I recently joined the fitness center at my work and have been running 5 miles a day on the elliptical, sometimes the treadmill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness