Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:17 PM

326 posts, read 833,872 times

Advertisements

Instead of smoothies do JUICES!!

Raw, fresh, organic fruit and veggies, mix and match and juice!! LIVING enzymes!!! 100% natural and organic!! Healing food!!

I have never felt better since starting a raw food lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 10:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,859,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
Instead of smoothies do JUICES!!

Raw, fresh, organic fruit and veggies, mix and match and juice!! LIVING enzymes!!! 100% natural and organic!! Healing food!!

I have never felt better since starting a raw food lifestyle.
What makes the juice better than eating the actual fruit? Again, as I have said before, if you want a 1/4 cup of juice, you'd probably have to put in a WHOLE LOT OF FRUIT so instead of just eating a banana and a couple of strawberries, you end up with 2-3 bananas and a cupful or MORE of strawberries just for a small drink. That is a LOT more sugar than one should have. Fruits are NOT free foods, they contain a lot of sugar so they should be eaten in moderation. I say NEVER ANY MORE THAN THE USDA recommended daily allowance.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 10-04-2010 at 10:48 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 PM

326 posts, read 833,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
What makes the juice better than eating the actual fruit? Again, as I have said before, if you want a 1/4 cup of juice, you'd probably have to put in a WHOLE LOT OF FRUIT so instead of just having a banana and a couple of strawberries, you end up with 2-3 bananas and a cupful or MORE of strawberries just for a small drink. That is a LOT more sugar than one should have. Fruits are NOT free foods, they contain a lot of sugar so they should be eaten in moderation. I say NEVER ANY MORE THAN THE USDA recommended daily allowance.
Because with a juicer you can mix fruit and vegetables. Since I only drink water/tea I like to "spice" things up every now and then. Variety!!! I love the taste of diffrent combinations.

I disagree with you on big bad sugar idea though!

Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,839,876 times
I was having smoothies for breakfast. I had berries, half a banana, fat free milk, pre-ground dry oats (meaning I ground them first), vanilla whey protein powder and some ice. Didn't gain any additional weight and was happy about adding fruit to my diet. I'm 40 btw and have to watch my diet a little closer than before too. Make sure you have protein and if you can, some good fat like avocado if you like that ok. Again more calories but the protein and fat keeps you full longer.

The important thing is total calories eaten vs expended calories and making sure the food you do eat is healthy.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,859,253 times
OP, I still advise to stay away from both smoothies AND juicing. Its always better to EAT your fruit and vegetables instead of drinking them.

And YES, many fruits are high in sugar (any nutritionist or dietician will tell you this) so you REALLY need to make sure you do not over do it there.

The only juice I ever drink is either orange juice or grapefruit juice. Maybe Motts Totts low sugar apple juice once a month when the 2 year old doesnt finish hers, but that is IT when it comes to drinking any juice. My fruit intake is maybe half a grapefruit per day, or I'll grab a lemon off the tree and eat it. I also put blueberries and maybe two strawberries in my cottage cheese, but that is it. Oh, I also always eat a banana after my cardio runs in the morning.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 PM

218 posts, read 545,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettebup47 View Post
Hi everyone-

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am a 47 yr. old female heading into menopause and therefore, putting on weight. Never had much of a weight problem before but with my small frame (4' 11" tall), I am starting to look like a butter ball. I haven't weighed myself but I know because 90% of my clothes no longer fit.
My question is this: I've begun making smoothies for breakfast. For someone who never ate breakfast before, I'm learning that it is necessary for the weight loss.
My smoothies consist of- Fresh frozen fruit (either: banana's, strawberry, blueberry, pineapple, or mango) A combination of two usually and about 1/2 cup. Agave syrup- 1/2 tablespoon, flaxseeds, protein powder (1 scoop), fresh spinach(about a 1/4 of the bag) and a cup or so of soy milk/water mix. Can someone tell me how many calories this is? I can usually fill a large starbucks cup (the size they use for their frappes.

I have to learn how to eat all over again because the rules have changed. What I used to eat kept me at around 105 ish........Now, I am ballooning up if I eat too much.

Help....
Are you exercising? I didnt see anything that said you were. So you are just drinking fruit smoothies in hopes it might help you lose weight?

Look up prevention magazine website. They have a great site on recipes (Im eating from the flat belly diet cookbook), workouts and other health information. Its all free and alot of their workouts are downloadable.

I drink protein fruit smoothies daily sometimes twice daily. My fruit smoothies are consists of 8-10oz Unsweetened vanilla Almond milk (45 calories), 1 cup fruit (90 calories), 1 scoop Almond Vanilla Whey protein (100 cals), 1 tbsp Barleans Strawberry banana flaxseed oil (110 cals). I drink sometimes for breakfast or a pick me up. But I will add that I burn an average of 1200+ cals a day exercising.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 AM

163 posts, read 711,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Arrogance View Post
Are you exercising? I didnt see anything that said you were. So you are just drinking fruit smoothies in hopes it might help you lose weight?

Look up prevention magazine website. They have a great site on recipes (Im eating from the flat belly diet cookbook), workouts and other health information. Its all free and alot of their workouts are downloadable.

I drink protein fruit smoothies daily sometimes twice daily. My fruit smoothies are consists of 8-10oz Unsweetened vanilla Almond milk (45 calories), 1 cup fruit (90 calories), 1 scoop Almond Vanilla Whey protein (100 cals), 1 tbsp Barleans Strawberry banana flaxseed oil (110 cals). I drink sometimes for breakfast or a pick me up. But I will add that I burn an average of 1200+ cals a day exercising.
Yes, I exercise. I didn't mention it in my original post because I was mainly just addressing the smoothie 'issue'.
I broke my leg a few years ago so it's hindered exactly what I can do now since I never really healed to my original state. I used to run 4 times a week. Now I speed walk 4 days a week around a 3 mile trail near my house..........Also, I lift 8 lb weights and do a standard work out video several times a week. I basically exercise to keep healthy. The weight thing is new to me. It's the first time I've had to actually address the chubs....

Thanks for all the great info. I've just spent several hours watching Youtubes on Raw eating.......... I typed in Smoothies and wa la........a sea of videos on raw eating, weight loss, etc. There is so much information out there *and opinions*, it's overwhelming.

I'm going to keep reading here and watching- hopefully I'll find what's right for me. Thanks again, everyone.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:06 AM

218 posts, read 545,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettebup47 View Post
Yes, I exercise. I didn't mention it in my original post because I was mainly just addressing the smoothie 'issue'.
I broke my leg a few years ago so it's hindered exactly what I can do now since I never really healed to my original state. I used to run 4 times a week. Now I speed walk 4 days a week around a 3 mile trail near my house..........Also, I lift 8 lb weights and do a standard work out video several times a week. I basically exercise to keep healthy. The weight thing is new to me. It's the first time I've had to actually address the chubs....

Thanks for all the great info. I've just spent several hours watching Youtubes on Raw eating.......... I typed in Smoothies and wa la........a sea of videos on raw eating, weight loss, etc. There is so much information out there *and opinions*, it's overwhelming.

I'm going to keep reading here and watching- hopefully I'll find what's right for me. Thanks again, everyone.

Well thats great to hear. Look up Teresa Jordan. She is a raw vegan/juicer. She is 50+ yrs old and OMG her body is to die for. She has a youtube and if you are on facebook, look her up. She posts alot of good info on her lifestyle.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:39 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,433,327 times
I would avoid drinking too many calories if you're trying to lose or avoid putting on weight. It is so easy to overdo it when you're drinking your calories especially if your adding things like syrup or honey to your smoothies.

I'm mildly lactose intolerant myself. The lactaid tablets help me and I think they make milk as well.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,625,859 times
As a sister on the road to menopause (I'm 48), I recently lost 7 pounds and a couple of inches of belly-fat by using the Sparkpeople website. It has calorie/fat/carbohydrate recommendations and a program that calculates all of it for you. It's very non-faddish. Also, it's free! The website is a bit intimidating at first because it contains so much information, but after getting started it's very easy.

I also started lifting heavier weights 3x/week and I think that's made a big difference as well. I'm still doing cardio 3x/week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness