Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:48 PM

163 posts, read 712,472 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am a 47 yr. old female heading into menopause and therefore, putting on weight. Never had much of a weight problem before but with my small frame (4' 11" tall), I am starting to look like a butter ball. I haven't weighed myself but I know because 90% of my clothes no longer fit.
My question is this: I've begun making smoothies for breakfast. For someone who never ate breakfast before, I'm learning that it is necessary for the weight loss.
My smoothies consist of- Fresh frozen fruit (either: banana's, strawberry, blueberry, pineapple, or mango) A combination of two usually and about 1/2 cup. Agave syrup- 1/2 tablespoon, flaxseeds, protein powder (1 scoop), fresh spinach(about a 1/4 of the bag) and a cup or so of soy milk/water mix. Can someone tell me how many calories this is? I can usually fill a large starbucks cup (the size they use for their frappes.

I have to learn how to eat all over again because the rules have changed. What I used to eat kept me at around 105 ish........Now, I am ballooning up if I eat too much.

Help....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
If you want to lose weight (or at the very least, try to stave off gaining weight) smoothies are NOT the way to go.

Much better if you just eat a couple of eggs with fresh spinich or half a grapefruit. Fruit smoothies are so totally NOT the way to go about losing weight. Too much sugar (LOTS of sugar just from the fruit itself) plus, you end up eating/drinking MUCH MUCH MORE than you would than if you were to just eat the fruit by itself.

Dont do the smoothies.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
If you want to lose weight (or at the very least, try to stave off gaining weight) smoothies are NOT the way to go.

Much better if you just eat a couple of eggs with fresh spinich or half a grapefruit. Fruit smoothies are so totally NOT the way to go about losing weight. Too much sugar (LOTS of sugar just from the fruit itself) plus, you end up eating/drinking MUCH MUCH MORE than you would than if you were to just eat the fruit by itself.

Dont do the smoothies.
Oh that's a bummer. I was kinda liking them. But, I do notice that I am putting on more weight, not losing it. I just invested a ton in ingredients, too. Sucks.

Alright- So I will not do the smoothies- at least not every single day. Maybe once a week. I suppose I can use the ingredients for something else. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:45 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
I agree on cutting out the smoothies.

As to why you are blowing up while eating the same amount of calories, it is because you are loosing muscle mass, something that happens to everyone as they age. The lower the muscle mass, the slower the metabolism. If you start strength training, such as weight lifting or using resistance bands, you will get your muscle mass back up and thus boost your metabolism.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 PM

Okay- another question.

Are calories just calories? Meaning- Does it actually matter what kind of calories you eat in the day? Like protein vs. fruits, or dairy v. meats, veggies, etc........So if you are to consume 1300 calories a day and some of those calories were to be a chocolate bar or whatever, does it all really matter as long as you don't go over the 1300 total?

OR- Is the balance of veggie, protein, fruit, and dairy what is actually what matters in terms of weight loss or maintenance. I know excessive amounts of fats and sugars can ********* up pretty bad but are the calories what matter?

Just trying to learn folks and really do appreciate the input. I will up my cardio and strength training.... Thanks for the suggestion OngletNYC.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,858,966 times
If I ate a smoothie like you are making for breakfast it would make me go back to sleep with all that sugar.

Protein for breakfast is the way to go. If you still want some fruit have a little serving of fruit and not base the whole meal on it. You might want to do some reading on soy milk which I noticed you said you used in the smoothies. There are doctors that say soy makes people fat because it contains estrogen and eating a lot of soy is said to slow thyroid function which in turn can cause weight gain.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
You might want to do some reading on soy milk which I noticed you said you used in the smoothies. There are doctors that say soy makes people fat because it contains estrogen and eating a lot of soy is said to slow thyroid function which in turn can cause weight gain.
Good catch on the soy milk part. I dont eat or drink anything soy. Unless the op is lactose intolerant, she should stick to Alta Dena milk (contains no hormones or additives).

I use ONLY Alta Dena WHOLE MILK (the red carton) in my cereal and protein mix. Ive never had any problems with it and I am at a pretty low body fat % right now.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Good catch on the soy milk part. I dont eat or drink anything soy. Unless the op is lactose intolerant, she should stick to Alta Dena milk (contains no hormones or additives).

I use ONLY Alta Dena WHOLE MILK (the red carton) in my cereal and protein mix. Ive never had any problems with it and I am at a pretty low body fat % right now.
I am lactose intolerant, but more importantly I am actually allergic to anything dairy. Have been since birth so I've never had anything but soy. If I were to drink milk, I'd end up in the hospital. I know soy became quite popular in recent years, but I don't drink it for that reason, I am just unable to digest anything else. I did buy a carton of "whole grain drink" which is a consistency of soy milk for my cereal and what not. I haven't tried it yet. Otherwise, I will just have to go without.

I need calcium so I'm not sure where else to get it from unless in pill form.

I'm a mess.........But thanks for all the suggestions. I need to learn this stuff even if it's frustrating me.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:46 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,009,726 times
Quote:

I have a question for you, Lao... what is your thoughts on Whole Milk vs 2%, vs Skim? Also, is there a big difference between Alta Dena and regular Lactose Free Milk?

Ian

Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
I have a question for you, Lao... what is your thoughts on Whole Milk vs 2%, vs Skim? Also, is there a big difference between Alta Dena and regular Lactose Free Milk?

Ian
I am really not an expert on milk. I just know that I HATE any milk that is not in the red carton. It all tastes like like someone put just a bit of real milk and mixed in a whole lot of water. Its awful to me. Since Ive never had any problem in the weight/fat area, I ONLY drink whole milk.

Ive never tried the lactose free milk so I dont know much about it either. But Alta Dena dairy is one of the only dairys in the country that do not feed any hormones or "filler" foods to the cows that produce their milk. Its probably the best milk you can buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness