Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 AM

12 posts, read 18,031 times

Advertisements

Is it truly possible with only skim milk and eggs as the only sources of animal proteins? Bill Pearl legendary bodybuilder is said type of vegetarian, but only afetr building his foundation on eating meats for years, and he didnt turn it until he was 39.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:13 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Yes. You only need "complete proteins" as part of your food intake + training (of course).Milk and eggs have that. You can be vegan and do the same but its harder.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
You will sometimes see vegans/vegetarians mixing foods that don't seem to make a lot of sense, culinarily speaking, like pasta, soybeans and peanuts. You can assemble complete proteins by mixing and varying the vegetable proteins that you ingest, but you also have to eat enormous volumes of food to get the calories required to build mass; otherwise you wind up looking like a saggy hippie with bags under your eyes. To answer your question, you can certainly do it but you will have to work four times as hard and will not get exactly the same results that you would on a more biologically appropriate diet.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:45 PM

Why does mixing a dead cow's butt in your pasta make more sense than a few beans?
I mean really..if you look at it like that its not so crazy.

You replace your meat with rice and lentils.

Good article on it:
Vegetarian Diet Plan For Bodybuilding | LIVESTRONG.COM

"Vegetarian bodybuilders usually follow the same six mini-meal protocol as carnivorous bodybuilders, which includes eating a small meal every few hours to ensure a constant flow of nutrition and adequate daily calorie intake. Each meal contains some carbohydrates, fats and between 20 g. and 30 g. of protein. Combining incomplete proteins, like beans and rice or lentils and millet, helps vegetarian bodybuilders obtain all the essential amino acids they need to support muscle growth."

Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Why does mixing a dead cow's butt in your pasta make more sense than a few beans?
I mean really..if you look at it like that its not so crazy.

You replace your meat with rice and lentils.

Good article on it:
Vegetarian Diet Plan For Bodybuilding | LIVESTRONG.COM

"Vegetarian bodybuilders usually follow the same six mini-meal protocol as carnivorous bodybuilders, which includes eating a small meal every few hours to ensure a constant flow of nutrition and adequate daily calorie intake. Each meal contains some carbohydrates, fats and between 20 g. and 30 g. of protein. Combining incomplete proteins, like beans and rice or lentils and millet, helps vegetarian bodybuilders obtain all the essential amino acids they need to support muscle growth."
The point, of course, being that tomato, basil, cow butt and wheat pasta is a combination of flavors that can intuitively be recognized as one that works. Peanuts, soybeans and wheat pasta may very well work, culinarily speaking, but it is a combination that doesn't "seem to make sense" to the un-initiated.

Other than that, you basically re-stated everything I said and provided a link supporting it.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:59 PM

Yeh. I know what you were saying. I just never got why it was so crazy to anyone to not have meat in the meal. I mean..most of a normal meal does not have meat anyway. If its balanced its not really the major part of the meal.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Yeh. I know what you were saying. I just never got why it was so crazy to anyone to not have meat in the meal. I mean..most of a normal meal does not have meat anyway. If its balanced its not really the major part of the meal.
It's not crazy. Everyone should do it more often.

I don't personally espouse the abandonment of meat in the diet, but a meal without meat can be every bit as satisfying.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:17 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,270 times
Brendan Brazier wrote a couple of books on vegan nutrition and fitness. He is an Ironman Triathlete. As a recently converted vegetarian (and part-time vegan - still haven't taken the full plunge), they were very informative.

The books are:
Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life
Thrive Fitness: The Vegan-Based Training Program for Maximum Strength, Health & Fitness

Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,677 times
Personally I find building mass to be challenging enough without going veggie

Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
I've never met a vegan who didn't rely on consuming industrial waste for protein. (That's virtually all non-traditional soy products, that meat substitute garbage.) Sorry but consuming hexane isn't worth it when I can just eat 4 0z of nice, healthy, well-raised chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness