Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:12 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Exactly. The probably started with some woman somewhere who saw another woman (probably a bodybuilder type) do a deadlift. The woman then started to spread the FALSE information that doing deadlifts will increase your waist.
Probably the same woman who said lifting weights will make you bulky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:28 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Probably the same woman who said lifting weights will make you bulky.
Ugh! Dont even say that. If it were soooo easy you'd see just about EVERY guy walking the streets with big bulky muscles.

Dont women know they have a better chance of running into Bigfoot and Osama Bin Laden on the same day than if they were to "get bulky" by lifting weights.

When will that ridiculousness end?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:33 PM

181 posts, read 598,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
Well I've never seen anyone deadlift over 300 kg (660+ lbs) without big midsection and by big I do not mean flabby, I mean rounded, as in the 6-pack bulging out like a rainbow...kind of rounded.
And like I said, it might depend more on how they've prioritized in combination with this...
lol, that's cuz typically, you need to be pretty ****in big to DL 660 lbs. It's like saying you only see huge people bench 400. Unless your a PLer, you're probably not putting up those types of #s

Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 AM

331 posts, read 989,837 times
If you want to keep a girlish figure, lift low weight, eat celery for life, and hop on the treadmill. If you want to look like a man, you're going to have to lift like one. Keep up the squats and deadlifts. Your future wife will thank you for it.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:22 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Ugh! Dont even say that. If it were soooo easy you'd see just about EVERY guy walking the streets with big bulky muscles.

Dont women know they have a better chance of running into Bigfoot and Osama Bin Laden on the same day than if they were to "get bulky" by lifting weights.

When will that ridiculousness end?
No kidding. Growing up, I was a runner. I never lifted weights cause I was told that it would make me bulky and slow me down. It was only after I gained fat in my 20s and resolved to lose weight that I finally started lifting weights. And I did so reluctantly because I still bought into the silly myth that anyone who lifts weights will immediately begin sprouting muscles. But I was told that I had to lift weights along with doing cardio if I wanted to lose excess fat. Well it worked. But I didn't gain much muscle.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Just take a look at Jelena Abbou in this video. Deadlifts are a staple of her workout routine. Does she have a huge waist? She's also an avid weightlifter. Does she look "bulky" or "manly"? The answer is a resounding NO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l82hfsOXXTA

Old 10-20-2010, 10:05 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
Excercises to build and widen your back/shoulders will help in make your waist appear smaller. Diet will play a huge part in your waistline.

The potruding stomach you mention are also a side effect of steroid use.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
The potruding stomach you mention are also a side effect of steroid use.
Or eating a lot. I've got several friends that have a bit of a protruding stomach that have never touched steroids.

Another common myth is that if you have a protruding stomach, you're on meds for HIV. Both are equally as judgmental and can hurt feelings.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:32 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
Or eating a lot. I've got several friends that have a bit of a protruding stomach that have never touched steroids.
Well I figured that reason would be pretty obvious.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Well I figured that reason would be pretty obvious.
Haha. I don't mean looking "fat" either though. I mean that bloated look that some guys tend to build up; that stereotypical "it looks like they juice because they look like a blowfish" look. That can come from working out with heavy weight and eating a lot; not just from steroids or HIV meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness