Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times

Advertisements

I used to work with a woman who had an absolutely putrid odor - I mean the kind where you wanted to vomit. That was in the days when smoking was actually allowed in the office (OMG! I'm a dinosaur!) Believe it or not, the smoke was a relief. And I say this as someone who had bronchitis for six months and had to ask to be physically located AWAY from the smoking. She had this one particular blue dress she wore and I knew when she walked in the door it was going to be a wretched day - literally.

She was talked to about it, and said she had some medical problem. Why on the blue dress days it was SO MUCH WORSE I'll never know.

Look people, there is not liking smoke smell and there is gagging over a coworker's BO. Pick your poison. I'll stick with cigarettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 PM

278 posts, read 992,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Continue on with the negatives, don't stop there! Any number of us want to see the full extent of the poverty of your imagination. No positives?

In the not-so-distant future, you'll see smoking threads like this pop up in the True Crime forum:

"Man arrested for smoking in a park. Do you feel his 60-day jail sentence was fair or unfair?"

"Woman disregards sign upon boarding a plane: Smoke-tainted clothing is to be removed before boarding, put into your check-in luggage. She ignores the sign. Arrested after she arrives at her destination. Should she have been given a warning, or is 30 days in jail a justifiable sentence for her crime?"
It stains your fingers, it contains thousands of chemicals you are sucking into your body, you are more likely to be sick (which means more wait time at the doctor for me at my regular check up when you are there for your bloody cough, higher costs for insurance, etc).

No one is trying to give people jail time for smoking. People are just sick of walking through public places and being hit in the face by smoke at the entrance while they are trying to live a healthier life. The most irritating thing about smoking to me, is the fact that smokers are constantly throwing butts out of their car windows... as well as the mine field of cigarette butts you often see on the ground at building entrances.

You can try to defend smoking all you want and try to turn this into a personal rights issue where you are a victim of discrimination, but the bottom line is, you know its harmful. You just don't have the will power to quit so you try to accept it.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Bascailly you can include people who drink beeer;people whoeat garlic 'take fish oil cpausules and mnay other meds in that smell when sweating.Even some that put way to much perfume or cologne on.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
It stains your fingers, it contains thousands of chemicals you are sucking into your body, you are more likely to be sick (which means more wait time at the doctor for me at my regular check up when you are there for your bloody cough, higher costs for insurance, etc).

No one is trying to give people jail time for smoking. People are just sick of walking through public places and being hit in the face by smoke at the entrance while they are trying to live a healthier life. The most irritating thing about smoking to me, is the fact that smokers are constantly throwing butts out of their car windows... as well as the mine field of cigarette butts you often see on the ground at building entrances.

You can try to defend smoking all you want and try to turn this into a personal rights issue where you are a victim of discrimination, but the bottom line is, you know its harmful. You just don't have the will power to quit so you try to accept it.
Wrong. If you can believe this, I do not throw cigarette butts anywhere. In fact, when I smoke in my car, I put them in the water bottle. Last week, while driving down the freeway, I picked up the wrong bottle to drink from. Immediately, I called poison control and to find out where the nearest hospital was. Guess what...I pay $1200 a month in insurance premiums. I was assured that due to the level of nicotine in my system, the worst that would happen is that I would vomit. I didn't.

Look, I am paying the price for being a smoker. I do not smoke around others. It's not about willpower. It's about addiction. I quit for 15 years. I should know.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:01 PM

137 posts, read 312,086 times
Smoking is harmful to health, it is anyone know.But the pressures of life so that they have been very dependent on tobacco.Mutual respect can be solved.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison1987 View Post
Smoking is harmful to health, it is anyone know.But the pressures of life so that they have been very dependent on tobacco.Mutual respect can be solved.
Thank you! I do not litter. I recycle. I just happen to smoke. I am paying BIG TIME for my sins. I didn't ask for any of this chemistry. My goal is to always quit.

I just wish the judgmental people would GO AWAY! I don't like them much.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
The anti-smokers are on a roll/witchhunt, and they can't be stopped, even if they came up with the safest cigarette tomorrow, to the user or the exposed.

Smoking is not dangerous to the health of every smoker, that's been well-proven. Where's your proof? That would take some exercise, walking through any long-term care facility and seeing those in their 70's and 80's still puffing away after decades of smoking, with minimal or nonexistant damage to their lungs.

There are healthier ways of smoking. I've been rolling my own with natural tobacco for 8 years now, and I can tell the difference any time I'm forced to smoke a store-bought cigarette.

If I had my way only chemically free American Spirit cigarettes could be sold, or you had to roll your own with natural tobacco.

But that's not going to be enough to stop the witchhunters. My roommate, who only smokes one cigarette per day, after his beer, will still be thrown into the witch pit.

Last edited by tijlover; 10-21-2010 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Add a line

Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
The schoolmarmish finger-wagging of some anti-smokers shows that Puritanism and the urge to act self righteous and morally superior by telling others what to do is still strong in the American character.

50 years ago these same people would've been against sex before marriage and in 1920 they would've favored prohibition.

Note too the class bias in this thread: evidently some people don't smoke because it harm's their social status, a status they seem very aware of.

Americans were a people that forged a nation from a raw continent; a fearless people who forded raging rivers, crossed sun baked prairies, built roads through mountain gaps, fought Indians, British and Mexicans and made the nation wealthy through rigorous work in forests, farms, mills, mines, factories and shops.

Now the once fearless people of this mighty nation fear a little smell of smoke on someone's clothing.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The schoolmarmish finger-wagging of some anti-smokers shows that Puritanism and the urge to act self righteous and morally superior by telling others what to do is still strong in the American character.

50 years ago these same people would've been against sex before marriage and in 1920 they would've favored prohibition.

Note too the class bias in this thread: evidently some people don't smoke because it harm's their social status, a status they seem very aware of.

Americans were a people that forged a nation from a raw continent; a fearless people who forded raging rivers, crossed sun baked prairies, built roads through mountain gaps, fought Indians, British and Mexicans and made the nation wealthy through rigorous work in forests, farms, mills, mines, factories and shops.

Now the once fearless people of this mighty nation fear a little smell of smoke on someone's clothing.
Amen, IrishTom, a bunch of wimps, and I am not surely among them.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Smokers sure are sensitive when their filthy habit gets put down! To be fair, I was the same way when I was a smoker. My question is: how is this a witch hunt when each of you have opened this thread within your free will? It's not like you are being roused out of bed in the dead of night and thrown in the lake to see if you float or drown... now that's a witch hunt. If you can't take the heat of this thread, log off and find something else to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness