U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 AM
 
465 posts, read 358,160 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

I'm just curious what opinion you have on steroids and hormones used for fitness and sports purposes.

I'm kind of baffled at the public opinion on them. It seems like most people have an intense fear and dislike of them, yet at the same time they know very little about them.

I'm also baffled by the intense media witch hunt against them. I just don;t see what the fuss is all about.

By the way. I've never done steroids at all. But i'm not against the idea and I might use them in the future.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2010, 09:31 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 28,825,984 times
Reputation: 10491
If you want to use steriods, go right ahead. I think its a bad idea though because of all the negative health ramifications of using them. The fact that you are "baffled" at why people think they are bad gives me indication that you are either - A) Young and not very knowledgeble; B) Older and not very knowledgeable; or C) Just not very knowledgeable.

Why would you want to use steriods? Do you play sports? Hope to make it in the NFL or major leagues? The fact that you have only 6 posts makes me think you will not respond to serious questions here, but I hope you do because maybe you have valid reasons as to why YOU want to take steriods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 09:38 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 28,825,984 times
Reputation: 10491
Wait a minute. You said here in another thread just a few minutes before you started this thread that supplements are garbage -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
2. Supplements are garbage for the most part. Instead of worrying about supplements focus on FOOD AND DIET. Food and diet are perhaps more important than exercise for attaining fitness goals. You shouldn't even think about supplements until you are approaching the limits of your maximum potential.
So do you think only supplements that can be purchased legally in health food stores are garbage, but illegal steriods are okay? Hmmmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Toledo
3,861 posts, read 7,420,509 times
Reputation: 3646
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
I'm just curious what opinion you have on steroids and hormones used for fitness and sports purposes.

I'm kind of baffled at the public opinion on them. It seems like most people have an intense fear and dislike of them, yet at the same time they know very little about them.

I'm also baffled by the intense media witch hunt against them. I just don;t see what the fuss is all about.

By the way. I've never done steroids at all. But i'm not against the idea and I might use them in the future.

What do you all think?
I think steriods should only be used for legitimate health conditions. They should not be used by fitness enthusiasts or even professional athletes. Steriods to me equals cheating.

And before anyone says that people who use steriods are already fit etc. Save it! I know this already! It doesn't negate the fact that they're taking something that gives them an edge over people who don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 PM
 
465 posts, read 358,160 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
If you want to use steriods, go right ahead. I think its a bad idea though because of all the negative health ramifications of using them. The fact that you are "baffled" at why people think they are bad gives me indication that you are either - A) Young and not very knowledgeble; B) Older and not very knowledgeable; or C) Just not very knowledgeable.

Why would you want to use steriods? Do you play sports? Hope to make it in the NFL or major leagues? The fact that you have only 6 posts makes me think you will not respond to serious questions here, but I hope you do because maybe you have valid reasons as to why YOU want to take steriods.
Actually the health risks associated with steroids are very mild.

Common side effects with moderate doses are balding, acne and sexual side effects. None of these are life threatening.

The ealth risks of steroids are greatly exagerated. I would love to see you cite examples of people who have actually died from them.

And yes, supplements like Creatine etc. are garbage and the effect they have in very, very mild. With steroids, the effect is noticable and dramatic. Steroids work, supplements don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 28,825,984 times
Reputation: 10491
So, you plan on using steriods? For what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,138 posts, read 3,961,355 times
Reputation: 11040
It is very important to make HGH and Steroids illegal, in order that Organized Crime might make money off them.

If they were legal, how would the drug lords, who sell them now that they're illegal, make ends meet? How would they support our politicians, and slip cash to their friends in the media? How would they buy stock in media conglomerates?

It's pretty common knowledge that a certain governor of a certain state consumed massive quantities of various steroids, as a young son-of-a-Nazi. The astonishing physical beauty that this gave him made him the secret sexual fantasy of at least 75% of the men in America (when they weren't 'watching' the Von Erichs 'wrestle'). Anyway, the Gov surely consumed giant doses of various chemicals, for decades. He's still around. And there are lots of professional athletes still alive...men who were stars in sports where Steroid use, at one stage or another, is basically 100%.

And there are plenty of other men who used lots and lots of 'juice', who are still around. Some of them are in their eighties.

Even if 'roids' did cause premature death, they'd be no worse than booze and ciggies. I see no rush to make those unavailable. And frankly, dying young and beautiful is not such a bad thing. There was a kid from our old town...gay ...effeminate...worthless art degree...going nowhere...really a hopeless life. He started on 'roids (slept with an old doctor who was notorious for swapping drugs for sex...actually a common way for bodybuilders, gay and straight, to get their supplies). This was maybe fifteen years back. He blossomed, became a personal trainer, did very well, had magnificent lovers...then dropped dead of a heart attack, at maybe 35...successful and desired. Not a bad way to go. A lot better than the lingering deaths most of us face at the end of our lives. And it cost 'society' basically nothing. No Social Security. No Medicare. No months of expensive indigent care, funded by the state.

I would add that for contests, that kid may have used Cocaine as a diet aid "to get ripped". That was common, before Meth became the diet aid of choice for competitive bodybuilders shedding those last pounds. And really, simply the act of crash dieting is enough to destroy the Heart Muscle. I know plenty of trophy wives who yo-yo dieted for decades, who are basket cases at fifty. It may be the dynamics of bodybuilding competition, more than Steroids, that kill so many bodybuilders. It is a common saying that when you go onstage...starved...severely dehydrated ... that you are more dead than alive. As a personal growth tool, bodybuilding is wonderful. As a sport, it is a travesty.

As for using 'roids' being 'cheating'.... Generally, to have success becoming muscular, you either have to do 'roids', or you have to have huge....ahem....'testosterone makers'. My DH lucked-up, and has the latter. I wouldn't let him touch 'roids', because we knew that even one course...even Cortisone for a sprain, can ruin their size, forever. They never come back 100%. Anyway, having giant 'glands' is maybe cheating, too, since not everybody has them. If anything, Steroids leveled the playing field, and allowed men who would otherwise have been stuck being little and ugly (because they had small 'hormone makers') have a chance at being beautiful.

We girls hit a plateau, beyond which we cannot go. People actually ask me if I'm not afraid I'll end up like one of those freaky women onstage at the physique contests. I actually have to explain that those women didn't get that way by exercising too much. All lifting does for me is refine my lines, and keep me tuned-up. It can't make me significantly bigger. Anyway, most guys hit a similar plateau, depending on their hormone levels and amount of muscle fiber.

But for guys less 'gifted', I totally would say 'go for it', except for the fact that they are illegal, and you really don't want to die in prison, being gang-raped by 'minorities', because some Roid Narc ratted you out after entrapping you. That's what I told our sons, who thankfully listened, and didn't need chemical enhancements, anyway (besides, I suspect they're too fond of sharing their 'natural abundance' with one female after another, and have no intention of becoming 'less abundant'. So, while a Roids Bust is not a possibility, the prospect of multiple paternity suits keeps me worried. Actually, each is probably out pollinating some flower right this minute....oh dear... ).

Pity, because there is nothing more beautiful than a really giant bodybuilder (whether or not his junk still functions, or is even still visible). Branch Warren, for one, is absolutely breathtaking (not that I'm saying he uses or anything...). DH and I were talking about who I would keep as my Fancy Man, if DH were to leave this world. All my top candidates were giant Steroid freaks. I guess I'd have to let them live in Cabo and fly up for visits. I think that's what the pros have to do, now (more money leaving our economy...).

Being little and ugly can be fatal, too. Ask the parents of some bullying victims. Ask the families of diminutive men who've been beaten to death because they looked like easy targets. Think of the men who went jobless or underemployed, because they were trolls: men who finally reached the end of their financial ropes, and ended it. If they'd looked fantastic (and 'roids' can make you look fabulous), they probably would have had easier lives. I know for a fact that one surgeon in my old state was put through Med School by an older man, because he was a beautiful bodybuilder. The older man persuaded the guy to enter Pre-Med, with a promise of financial support. The older man usually kept football players: and so the younger guy would have been invisible to him, had he not had muscles. The younger guy had been working slowly toward a worthless undergrad degree, and was going nowhere...but his body was a ticket to the big leagues. Now, he's sitting pretty, in a two million dollar mansion. Drove a Mercedes, all through Med School, too...thanks to his 'sponsor'.

But no: the NarcoState wants Steroids and HGH to be illegal, so that Organized Crime will have another something to sell. Lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 12:27 AM
 
5,763 posts, read 13,334,745 times
Reputation: 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
Actually the health risks associated with steroids are very mild.

Common side effects with moderate doses are balding, acne and sexual side effects. None of these are life threatening.

The ealth risks of steroids are greatly exagerated. I would love to see you cite examples of people who have actually died from them.

And yes, supplements like Creatine etc. are garbage and the effect they have in very, very mild. With steroids, the effect is noticable and dramatic. Steroids work, supplements don't.
These common side effects you're portraying as minor may not be life-threatening, but some of them are likely to affect quality of life. And there are other side effects you don't list here. I'll second the question above: WHY do you want to use steroids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 03:18 AM
 
465 posts, read 358,160 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
These common side effects you're portraying as minor may not be life-threatening, but some of them are likely to affect quality of life. And there are other side effects you don't list here. I'll second the question above: WHY do you want to use steroids?
These are the common side effects with mild or moderate doses.

With high doses you get into more serious side effects. Like high blood pressure, enlarged heart, etc. But these usually only happen to abusers who use high doses of particularly strong combinations of steroids for years and years without taking a break.

The average steroid user who uses fairly low doses will probably never encounter any side effects. Besides bloating, acne and maybe a little anxiety and insomnia.

I'm thinking about taking steroids just to get more muscular, feel better, look better and just for the hobby and personal satisfaction of getting more jacked up. Also I play rec. sports so it would be cool to have an edge on those.

Let me guess. You think people shoul only use steroids if they are pro athletes or otherwise making some kind of profit off it? Well I disagree, I believe in doing things for your own personal happiness and nothing more.

The general publc has been brainwashed by tyrants and politicians into being mindlessly anti-drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 03:20 AM
 
465 posts, read 358,160 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
It is very important to make HGH and Steroids illegal, in order that Organized Crime might make money off them.

If they were legal, how would the drug lords, who sell them now that they're illegal, make ends meet? How would they support our politicians, and slip cash to their friends in the media? How would they buy stock in media conglomerates?

It's pretty common knowledge that a certain governor of a certain state consumed massive quantities of various steroids, as a young son-of-a-Nazi. The astonishing physical beauty that this gave him made him the secret sexual fantasy of at least 75% of the men in America (when they weren't 'watching' the Von Erichs 'wrestle'). Anyway, the Gov surely consumed giant doses of various chemicals, for decades. He's still around. And there are lots of professional athletes still alive...men who were stars in sports where Steroid use, at one stage or another, is basically 100%.

And there are plenty of other men who used lots and lots of 'juice', who are still around. Some of them are in their eighties.

Even if 'roids' did cause premature death, they'd be no worse than booze and ciggies. I see no rush to make those unavailable. And frankly, dying young and beautiful is not such a bad thing. There was a kid from our old town...gay ...effeminate...worthless art degree...going nowhere...really a hopeless life. He started on 'roids (slept with an old doctor who was notorious for swapping drugs for sex...actually a common way for bodybuilders, gay and straight, to get their supplies). This was maybe fifteen years back. He blossomed, became a personal trainer, did very well, had magnificent lovers...then dropped dead of a heart attack, at maybe 35...successful and desired. Not a bad way to go. A lot better than the lingering deaths most of us face at the end of our lives. And it cost 'society' basically nothing. No Social Security. No Medicare. No months of expensive indigent care, funded by the state.

I would add that for contests, that kid may have used Cocaine as a diet aid "to get ripped". That was common, before Meth became the diet aid of choice for competitive bodybuilders shedding those last pounds. And really, simply the act of crash dieting is enough to destroy the Heart Muscle. I know plenty of trophy wives who yo-yo dieted for decades, who are basket cases at fifty. It may be the dynamics of bodybuilding competition, more than Steroids, that kill so many bodybuilders. It is a common saying that when you go onstage...starved...severely dehydrated ... that you are more dead than alive. As a personal growth tool, bodybuilding is wonderful. As a sport, it is a travesty.

As for using 'roids' being 'cheating'.... Generally, to have success becoming muscular, you either have to do 'roids', or you have to have huge....ahem....'testosterone makers'. My DH lucked-up, and has the latter. I wouldn't let him touch 'roids', because we knew that even one course...even Cortisone for a sprain, can ruin their size, forever. They never come back 100%. Anyway, having giant 'glands' is maybe cheating, too, since not everybody has them. If anything, Steroids leveled the playing field, and allowed men who would otherwise have been stuck being little and ugly (because they had small 'hormone makers') have a chance at being beautiful.

We girls hit a plateau, beyond which we cannot go. People actually ask me if I'm not afraid I'll end up like one of those freaky women onstage at the physique contests. I actually have to explain that those women didn't get that way by exercising too much. All lifting does for me is refine my lines, and keep me tuned-up. It can't make me significantly bigger. Anyway, most guys hit a similar plateau, depending on their hormone levels and amount of muscle fiber.

But for guys less 'gifted', I totally would say 'go for it', except for the fact that they are illegal, and you really don't want to die in prison, being gang-raped by 'minorities', because some Roid Narc ratted you out after entrapping you. That's what I told our sons, who thankfully listened, and didn't need chemical enhancements, anyway (besides, I suspect they're too fond of sharing their 'natural abundance' with one female after another, and have no intention of becoming 'less abundant'. So, while a Roids Bust is not a possibility, the prospect of multiple paternity suits keeps me worried. Actually, each is probably out pollinating some flower right this minute....oh dear... ).

Pity, because there is nothing more beautiful than a really giant bodybuilder (whether or not his junk still functions, or is even still visible). Branch Warren, for one, is absolutely breathtaking (not that I'm saying he uses or anything...). DH and I were talking about who I would keep as my Fancy Man, if DH were to leave this world. All my top candidates were giant Steroid freaks. I guess I'd have to let them live in Cabo and fly up for visits. I think that's what the pros have to do, now (more money leaving our economy...).

Being little and ugly can be fatal, too. Ask the parents of some bullying victims. Ask the families of diminutive men who've been beaten to death because they looked like easy targets. Think of the men who went jobless or underemployed, because they were trolls: men who finally reached the end of their financial ropes, and ended it. If they'd looked fantastic (and 'roids' can make you look fabulous), they probably would have had easier lives. I know for a fact that one surgeon in my old state was put through Med School by an older man, because he was a beautiful bodybuilder. The older man persuaded the guy to enter Pre-Med, with a promise of financial support. The older man usually kept football players: and so the younger guy would have been invisible to him, had he not had muscles. The younger guy had been working slowly toward a worthless undergrad degree, and was going nowhere...but his body was a ticket to the big leagues. Now, he's sitting pretty, in a two million dollar mansion. Drove a Mercedes, all through Med School, too...thanks to his 'sponsor'.

But no: the NarcoState wants Steroids and HGH to be illegal, so that Organized Crime will have another something to sell. Lovely.
Great post. Many of these points are equally true of other drugs as well.

I don't need some selfish thug politicians to tell me what I should and shouldn't take into my own body. Decriminalization of all drugs makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top