Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 06:07 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times

Advertisements

I will be running my first half marathon in 2 weeks. I am very prepared, do lots of reading about it etc etc. Just want to hear from anyone who has done it already on little things that someone may not anticipate until you actually go through it. Words of wisdom, advise, what worked for you, what didn't, what you absolutely must do beforehand. Any and all stories you have. I want to be as prepared as I can be so it goes smoothly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
Hmm...you're "doing lots of reading about it?" That's all well and good I guess but the real preparation comes from logging the miles prior to your event. You say you're very prepared but left out the most important stat: how many miles a week have you been running? I've run six half-marathons and about a dozen 10K's. How's your training going? Do you do long runs, tempo runs, and speedwork? Are you logging at least 25 miles a week? Can you run 16-20 miles on your long run days? And can you do a 10K at about a 10:30/mile pace on your tempo runs? The answers to these questions should all be yes in order for you to be truly prepped for a 13-miler. Other than that, the only other advice I could give you is not to do anything drastically different than you've been doing prior to your race, i.e. diet, training, rest, new shoes, clothes, etc. Stick with what's been working; relax; have fun. Stay hydrated. Carbo load the night before, or at least 12 hourse before the race.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:47 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Be prepared: Ibuprofen and an extra pair of socks.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Hmm...you're "doing lots of reading about it?" That's all well and good I guess but the real preparation comes from logging the miles prior to your event. You say you're very prepared but left out the most important stat: how many miles a week have you been running? I've run six half-marathons and about a dozen 10K's. How's your training going? Do you do long runs, tempo runs, and speedwork? Are you logging at least 25 miles a week? Can you run 16-20 miles on your long run days? And can you do a 10K at about a 10:30/mile pace on your tempo runs? The answers to these questions should all be yes in order for you to be truly prepped for a 13-miler. Other than that, the only other advice I could give you is not to do anything drastically different than you've been doing prior to your race, i.e. diet, training, rest, new shoes, clothes, etc. Stick with what's been working; relax; have fun. Stay hydrated. Carbo load the night before, or at least 12 hourse before the race.
I guess I didn't explain myself that well! When I say "reading", it just means I've read through a lot of training programs, and am following one that I felt right for me.
Thanks for your imput. Yes, I've done the leg work, I've just not done a long "race" before, only 5k's. Just looking for any practical tips I might overlook. Appreciate the advise!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Be prepared: Ibuprofen and an extra pair of socks.
Yes! now that's what I'm talking about!
Thanks!

Last edited by L.K.; 11-07-2010 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 11-07-2010, 04:49 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
If you've already done races before I don't know what extra advice anyone could add. Just go a little slower than race pace for the first few miles. Work up to race pace, then if you still feel good at 8 miles, go ahead and push it. If you've done races before you know that adrenaline will make your pace feel really slow until it wears off. It's not a good feeling knowing you went out way too fast and you still have 10 miles to go.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 PM

56 posts, read 153,057 times
Remember to smile and have fun! I was really nervous before my first 1/2 and I got some advice that I bring with me to every race now - to smile, have fun and hopefully inspire someone else that's on the sidelines. This has helped me also to just enjoy the entirety of the race - the spectators, music, start line, cheerleaders, scenery and complete the race with a smile.

The other thing I do is run with a camelback because I when I'm thirsty I don't want to wait until the next mile marker to get a drink...I want it when I want it.

Good luck and congratulations on your first 1/2! They are a lot of fun.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:44 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,225 times
Don't be tempted to do some crazy last minute workout/run before the race...stick to your taper. If you've followed your training plan, you are ready for the distance...no matter what your brain/body are telling you. Taper crazies are real!

Don't go out to hard.....when the race first starts, they'll be people sprinting off the line like their A$$ is on fire....don't follow, you catch up and pass them a couple of miles down the road.

Learn to drink out of a dixie cup while running. A good technique is to pinch it with your first two fingers and pour from the pitched section of the cup. If you must stop at a water station....be sure to pull way over to the side of the road....Don't stop and grab a cup...there are most likely runners behind you who plan to run through and you stopping in front of them is annoying.

Don't do anything you didn't already do in training. Don't be tempted to take those gels (if they are offered) if its something you haven't practiced with already....you don't want to find out at mile 10 that you stomach can't handle that type of stuff.

Enjoy it, thank the crowd for the support and follow the race director's instructions....especially the one about earphones/ipods not being allowed (most races prohibit them but people ignore it).

Good luck!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:37 AM

[quote=broadbill;16570860]Don't be tempted to do some crazy last minute workout/run before the race...stick to your taper. If you've followed your training plan, you are ready for the distance...no matter what your brain/body are telling you. Taper crazies are real!

Don't go out to hard.....when the race first starts, they'll be people sprinting off the line like their A$$ is on fire....don't follow, you catch up and pass them a couple of miles down the road.

Learn to drink out of a dixie cup while running. A good technique is to pinch it with your first two fingers and pour from the pitched section of the cup. If you must stop at a water station....be sure to pull way over to the side of the road....Don't stop and grab a cup...there are most likely runners behind you who plan to run through and you stopping in front of them is annoying.

Don't do anything you didn't already do in training. Don't be tempted to take those gels (if they are offered) if its something you haven't practiced with already....you don't want to find out at mile 10 that you stomach can't handle that type of stuff.

Enjoy it, thank the crowd for the support and follow the race director's instructions....especially the one about earphones/ipods not being allowed (most races prohibit them but people ignore it).

Good luck![/QUOTE
Thanks,great stuff!
I am actually looking forward to the taper! I'm as prepared as I can possibly be. I need abit of a break.
I am alittle concerned about starting pace. I have a goal finish in mind and would love to accomplish it, but will try my hardest to stick to my comfort zone to start.
The drinking advise is very sound.
I'm also concerned about the ipod thing.They are not permitted, and I really want to use it! I can run shorter without, but, music really helps pass the 2 hours!

Old 11-09-2010, 12:37 PM
m22

139 posts, read 586,203 times
I am running my first 1/2 Sunday and I have no idea why that DrummerBoy suggested you run 16-20 miles on your long runs. That seems ridiculous. My 1/2 marathon training plan (Hal Higdon) had me max out at 10. Everything else that was said sounds good and is in line with all I have heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness