Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 AM

465 posts, read 463,549 times

Advertisements

Lots of women think that if they lift weights or do some ab work that their muscle will blow up and they'll end up looking too muscular.

It's actually really difficult to get muscular like that. People underestimate how difficult it is and how much work it takes to get a muscular physique. It doesn't just happen by accident, unless you have super bodybuilding genetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
... reading comprehension people. A six pack is NOT my goal. Flat, toned, yet feminine (aka slender and curved at the sides - think hourglass) is my goal. I'm almost there, but am curious whether or not an ab routine will make my stomach more square looking. I'd like to keep my waist.
The other guy talked about 6-packs so I answered him aswell. No you WILL NOT get a square-looking stomach unless you go for it with intent and effort.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:41 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
I don't really work my abs intensely, but I make sure to do crunches at least twice a week. Usually it's only 3 or 4 sets of 75-100 crunches per session. I'm more into cardio training, and I've seen that, since cardio actually melts the fat off a person (whereas crunches build ab muscles), cardio training is the best way to go if you want to have nice-looking abs without the six-pack look.

I like to wear shirts that show off my stomach, but to be honest I don't think I'd like to show it off if it were super-defined and cut (like six-pack abs). To me, a six-pack is too masculine.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
OMG bad reading comprehension.....

As long as you don't go insane with abs, weight training, cardio and diet you will be good.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 5,274 times
A great way to keep your lower abs tight is to lay on the floor on your back, hold your feet together and lift them off the ground 6 or 7 inches. More so whatever feels most comfortable to you. You can also sway your legs left and right to tighten up your sides. A common exercise for gymnastics. I use it quite often. Don't over do it initially. You will be in pain if you do.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
If you don't wish to get that six pack look (aka the block of muscle for an abdomen), is an intense ab routine a good or bad thing?

I've read so many things online... I am confused.
There are soooo many variables and things to consider on this that its very difficult to give you an exact answer.

What is an "intense ab routine? List reps, sets and exercises.
If you are already very thin (i.e., low bodyfat %) your abs will appear.
If you have the genetic disposition (i.e., genetic gift) for abs, they will appear.
If you do a LOT of cardio AND eat a super clean low calorie diet, the six pack could appear.
You could also just never EVER get the six pack abs due to genes so you dont have to worry about it.

I have always been able to really get my abs to appear even without trying because I have always been a naturally skinny person.

Odds are, that with you being a woman, there is almost no chance of you getting six pack abs even if you really really really tried for it. For most people, it is insanely difficult to get so you really have nothing to worry about.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:05 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
There are soooo many variables and things to consider on this that its very difficult to give you an exact answer.

What is an "intense ab routine? List reps, sets and exercises.
If you are already very thin (i.e., low bodyfat %) your abs will appear.
If you have the genetic disposition (i.e., genetic gift) for abs, they will appear.
If you do a LOT of cardio AND eat a super clean low calorie diet, the six pack could appear.
You could also just never EVER get the six pack abs due to genes so you dont have to worry about it.

I have always been able to really get my abs to appear even without trying because I have always been a naturally skinny person.

Odds are, that with you being a woman, there is almost no chance of you getting six pack abs even if you really really really tried for it. For most people, it is insanely difficult to get so you really have nothing to worry about.
+1
That said, the fitter you get, the more fit(in a sexy kind of way) will your midsection look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness