Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:39 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I question whether or not you even know what powerlifting is, nor do I believe you know any powerlifters.

As far as steriods, well, I am sure there is use, but it's less than you'd expect.

1) Nobody in the USA makes money from powerlifting. The top prize at a national competition might be $1000
2) There are weight classes. Not everyone is a super-heavyweight.
3) Most powerlifters are recreational lifters, usually those who used to play sports, and now just like to lift.

I've lifted with powerlifters all over the country, and while a few may have used a bit here and there, I have neither seen nor heard of people "swallow DBol like it's candy." You state your information as though it were fact. Where does your information come from?
Oh please. I'm well experienced in both bodybuilding and powerlifting. I've witness, experienced and been knee deep in the steroid game. And nowhere is it more rampant than in powerlifting, and of course bodybuilding. But your'e extremely naive if you think "a few may have used a bit here and there". Please Just like all the top NPC competitors and IFBB competitors 99.9% of the top powerlifters all over the world are juiced up to their eyeballs. I know because I know who's selling them their stuff and where they get it i.e. many are buying raws from China and brewing up their own crap, or worse selling it too. The thing you don't understand is 99% of these guys hide their use from EVERYONE including their own wives in some cases. And the OP is correct.........many powerlifters are a walking heart attack or stroke because of their heavy steroid use. They are huge, and their blood pressure is usually out of control. It's not uncommon to see powerlifters at the top level suffering nose bleeds in between lifts etc. There was a recent powerlifter that just died from a massive heart attack and he'd get nose bleeds all the time. At the peak of his powerlifting career Fred Hatfield was juiced up to his eyeballs, same goes for Bill Katzmeier. All the top strongman competitors are all on drugs as well. Don't get me wrong this doesn't detract from their accomplishments in my opinion as I don't think steroids are cheating in these particular strength and physique sports. But if you believe steroid use is sporadic and uncommon in powerlifting you're clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Male powerlifters are as light as 114 lbs and can be 350. Not all are bulky, but all are great athletes. I do not believe all bodybuilders are great athletes.
Well that's subjective. I would say many bodybuilders could be powerlifters yet how many powerlifters have the discipline to be bodybuilders? As far as being "athletes" it's silly to say PLers are more athletic than bodybuilders when they both pretty much push the same weights and do the same movements. Who's more athletic......some fat powerlifter sitting on a bench pressing 500lbs or some ripped bodybuilder standing doing dumbell flyes? The latter probably takes more "skill" but I'd hardly call it an athletic movement or endeavor. LOL. Ronnie Coleman rivals many powerlifters yet he's a bodybuilder. He's an extreme example but you get the point.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:49 AM

One thing most of you forget is how much lying and deceit goes on in both sports. Like I said these guys not only don't tell their wives about their steroid use they'd never tell even their closest friends. I know because I hang out on all the steroid boards like ProMuscle etc. Hell even at the pro level you've got guys like Lee Priest saying he only uses 200mg of deca a week. Yeah right! The industry is filled with lies and it gets worse the farther up the professional ladder you go. You don't become a top powerlifter nowadays without using drugs. And no natural is ever going to get into the IFBB. That's just the way it is.

I love hearing natural guys talk about how strong they are yadda yadda. That's great. More power to you. But it's like boxers........everyone and their brother was a "golden gloves" boxer at one time. It gets old.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,418 times
Powerlifting is one of the safest sports you can compete in. Prior to competing in powerlifting meets, your body has to be conditioned to handle massive weight and if you've already trained your body to handle heavy weight, powerlifting will be right up your alley. Powerlifting IS NOT dangerous to your bones/joints IF YOU KNOW HOW TO LIFT HEAVY CORRECTLY. This means you have to be knee-deep in multivitamin and Calcium so your bones/joints can support the massive weight you're trying to lift. I don't doubt that steroid/drug use is rampant in powerlifting/strongman contests because you're attempting to lift 4x your bodyweight so you gonna need some assistance. You can be the most naturally gifted athlete but sad to say, if you get into powerlifting/strongman or weightlifting contests, you're up against viciously strong men who 9 times out of 10 are on bookoo roids.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:30 AM

465 posts, read 463,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Powerlifting is one of the safest sports you can compete in. Prior to competing in powerlifting meets, your body has to be conditioned to handle massive weight and if you've already trained your body to handle heavy weight, powerlifting will be right up your alley. Powerlifting IS NOT dangerous to your bones/joints IF YOU KNOW HOW TO LIFT HEAVY CORRECTLY. This means you have to be knee-deep in multivitamin and Calcium so your bones/joints can support the massive weight you're trying to lift. I don't doubt that steroid/drug use is rampant in powerlifting/strongman contests because you're attempting to lift 4x your bodyweight so you gonna need some assistance. You can be the most naturally gifted athlete but sad to say, if you get into powerlifting/strongman or weightlifting contests, you're up against viciously strong men who 9 times out of 10 are on bookoo roids.
Is this a joke post?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,079 times
USAPL has some pretty strict anti-steroid standards...there are even meets that restrict against the use of gear

Old 01-23-2011, 11:26 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,972 times
Watch the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster".

Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,485 times
Weightlifting has one of the lowest injury rates of all sports....Assuming one isn't on roids it is a very safe sport.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
Weightlifting has one of the lowest injury rates of all sports....Assuming one isn't on roids it is a very safe sport.

I guess, if you count weightlifting as a "sport."

Old 01-30-2011, 02:35 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I guess, if you count weightlifting as a "sport."
If curling, chess and boule are sports, then yeah weightlifting is definitively a sport.

Besides what part of lifting weights makes it a non sport?
*It has competitive elements (you can measure how much better one athlete is compared to another)
*You get fit doing it.
*It is practiced by countless athletes world over, for purely athletic reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness