Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:44 PM

17 posts, read 20,450 times

Advertisements

Regular exercising and a balanced diet go hand-in-hand when it comes to losing weight. I agree with what the others are saying here. It's all about intensity when it comes to exercising. I believe intensive exercising for 3 hours is enough. Congrats on your success to losing weight, by the way. Like you, drinking lots of water has helped me in losing weight in addition to a balanced diet. Jogging has helped me in keeping me fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:48 AM

4,290 posts, read 3,999,433 times
with outgoing to a gym I put my weight down with enough daily routine moves such as take the stairs when can take lift, walk instead taxi or the car, together with less eating carbohydrates, and fat food, and completely cut off my favorites coca cola, chocolates, and rest other stuff. It took like a year to put my tummy down. I worked for me but I am not sure if that works for every one.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:32 AM

17,504 posts, read 38,984,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
I haven't been on the forum in a while. Since my first post almost 4 years ago I've lost 30lbs and kept it off without exercising. I'll admit I'm lazy and just didn't want to do it. I cut out fast food, ate more fruits and veggies, and drank more water and minimal juice. I haven't been this small in 15 years.

I was exercising during the summer but I fell off the habit and didn't start back again. I want to be more toned but I lack the motivation. I want to do more weight training instead of cardio, I just have to push myself to workout. I'm getting older and I know my metabolism won't stay the same.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I don't know your age, but exercise (especially strength training ) is important for overall health and conditioning, it is not enough just to keep your weight down. As you age, you lose a tremendous amount of muscle, and bones get less dense when you don't load them.

I am a 65 y.o woman, and have now condensed my strength training to a few days a week at the gym where I do several compound exercises with kettlebells, and bodyweight work on the mat. I also do yoga and bellydance, as well as ride my bike. Find things that you think are FUN to do so you stick with it. I don't exactly find strength workouts "fun" per se, but I like the results which keep me motivated. For 65 I have more strength than the women half my age and nice muscle definition. You don't want to be "skinny fat."

Old 10-30-2014, 02:20 PM

917 posts, read 2,002,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't know your age, but exercise (especially strength training ) is important for overall health and conditioning, it is not enough just to keep your weight down. As you age, you lose a tremendous amount of muscle, and bones get less dense when you don't load them.

I am a 65 y.o woman, and have now condensed my strength training to a few days a week at the gym where I do several compound exercises with kettlebells, and bodyweight work on the mat. I also do yoga and bellydance, as well as ride my bike. Find things that you think are FUN to do so you stick with it. I don't exactly find strength workouts "fun" per se, but I like the results which keep me motivated. For 65 I have more strength than the women half my age and nice muscle definition. You don't want to be "skinny fat."
Yeah I want to be like you when I get older. I just turned 30 and I know how many benefits exercise has. I gotta stop being lazy. I like jump rope.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:48 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,200,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
OP,

The answer is simple, YES!

I am living proof. I am a beast in the gym. I burn over 1000 calories per session but then I come home and eat like a pig. Obviously, I gain weight. A weight loss occurs when I workout 3 - 4x per week, at a reasonable workout level and EAT SENSIBLE. Working out is important but your consumption is the bigger key...hands down! As crazy as it sounds, I have a bigger problem controlling myself in my workouts.
I agree.

I don't understand people that go to the gym just to get on the treadmill to WALK for an hour. wtf??? at least do intervals. walking the entire time ain't gonna do shiite

cut back on the sweets to 1-2 days a week. do the 80/20 diet. healthy 80% of the time and cheat 20% of the time. works for me

Old 08-15-2016, 01:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,352 times
Hi I need to ask a couple of questions how many calories a day should a 240 pound women burn? Also how many calories a day should I consume?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,352 times
Oh yea and how long should I workout in the gym for?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:09 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanddjr View Post
Hi I need to ask a couple of questions how many calories a day should a 240 pound women burn? Also how many calories a day should I consume?
This is a 6 year old thread. It might be better to just start a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness