Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 12:54 PM

12 posts, read 25,682 times

Advertisements

I need some insight on squats. After a really hard squat workout i tend to feel more sore in my quads then in my hamstring and butt, so am i doing something wrong? Also my stance is a little wider then my shoulders, can that effect the effectiveness of squats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,677 times
Feeling sore in the thighs is a sign of a good squating session. for me it's different from training session to training session which ones i'm the most sore in, but the best sessions are felt more in the quads for me.

Remember that squats are a compound drill, they're not ment to isolate anything. whatever part of your upper legs is lagging after the rest is gonna be sore when you do squats.
Good luck.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:29 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,352 times
What sportsgeek said

There can also be some variation in your stance forward or backward that effects the muscles worked. If the weight is more forwad, like in a squat with the barbell in front of the head, you will work more quad than the traditional barbell on shoulders behind the head squat.

A wider stance like you say you have should work your glutes more.

Personally, I get most soreness in the glutes and hips after squats, which I blame on my sitting on my ass in front of a computer so much for work.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:22 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athleticakkid View Post
I need some insight on squats. After a really hard squat workout i tend to feel more sore in my quads then in my hamstring and butt, so am i doing something wrong? Also my stance is a little wider then my shoulders, can that effect the effectiveness of squats?
To me it sounds like you may not be keeping your chest up and straight, and instead are leaning your chest forward a bit as you squat. Can you have someone watch and critique your form?

Note: I am not speaking to your wide stance as I have never done squats with my legs that far apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness