Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:08 PM

948 posts, read 3,348,679 times

Advertisements

I went to an ENT who told me that these muscles were inflamed and to take motrin or a relaxer. I pushed trying to understand the cause, but he didn't think it could be the gym and couldn't offer an explanation.

The muscles to the right and left of the throat to my collar bone are really sore. I noticed last week a machine that may be the culprit as when I did it I felt the pull in my neck. (you sit facing the machine with your chest against a pad and then pull towards you using both arms with 2 different handle positions to choose from.)

(Fwiw, I had a thyroidectomy due to cancer so first thought was another tumor. Saw my endo and my ultrasound came out clear so it's not thyroid related)

Anyone experience anything similar? If so, how long did it take for the pain to go away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,670,269 times
My neck muscles get very sore whenever I am tense. They just clamp right up like a vice....they never hurt since I quit my job though

Old 12-11-2010, 01:56 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,285,302 times
Do neck stretching exercises... I've heard of this happening when people sleep in the wrong position. Goes away in a week or less.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:34 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,552,247 times
has anybody had luck using cervical rolls, basically a pillow for your neck, to sleep on instead of a usual pillow?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Default good points

Never thought of the sleep connection. I usually wake up in a hurry to get going and don't really pay attention as closely as I should.Stress is probably playing a role, but I guess I downplay it as I've always had stress so why is my neck hurting NOW? I should see if when i'm ready to rip someone a new one if my neck is tightening or not

Old 12-11-2010, 09:27 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,087,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I went to an ENT who told me that these muscles were inflamed and to take motrin or a relaxer. I pushed trying to understand the cause, but he didn't think it could be the gym and couldn't offer an explanation.

The muscles to the right and left of the throat to my collar bone are really sore. I noticed last week a machine that may be the culprit as when I did it I felt the pull in my neck. (you sit facing the machine with your chest against a pad and then pull towards you using both arms with 2 different handle positions to choose from.)

(Fwiw, I had a thyroidectomy due to cancer so first thought was another tumor. Saw my endo and my ultrasound came out clear so it's not thyroid related)

Anyone experience anything similar? If so, how long did it take for the pain to go away?
The machine you were using at the gym is called a Seated Rowing Machine, and the neck muslces you have that are sore or your trapezius muscles. These are the exact muscles--along with your latissimus dorsi muscles in your back--that are stressed when you use that machine.
So..I would say, yeah..the exercising you did on the Rowing machine is the culprit. So....use a heating pad or, if you have access, a nice hot sauna or even hot showers to help alleviate the pain. You can also take an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drug) like Advil or Naproxen.
And lay-off the rowing machine for awhile. Next time you use it--maybe in a week or so--just do lighter weights and more reps.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:39 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,670,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
has anybody had luck using cervical rolls, basically a pillow for your neck, to sleep on instead of a usual pillow?
I have one, but, just can't ever get a comfortable position. The best thing I found is a weekly massage. I really can't afford a weekly massage though

Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Default Good points

I was afraid to go back to the machine, but makes sense to decrease the weight. I have started Motrin which helps. Appreciate the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
The machine you were using at the gym is called a Seated Rowing Machine, and the neck muslces you have that are sore or your trapezius muscles. These are the exact muscles--along with your latissimus dorsi muscles in your back--that are stressed when you use that machine.
So..I would say, yeah..the exercising you did on the Rowing machine is the culprit. So....use a heating pad or, if you have access, a nice hot sauna or even hot showers to help alleviate the pain. You can also take an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drug) like Advil or Naproxen.
And lay-off the rowing machine for awhile. Next time you use it--maybe in a week or so--just do lighter weights and more reps.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:16 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,285,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Possible, machine sound like correct mechanism. But she said left/right neck to collarbone. Sounds too anterior and lateral for trapezius/lats. Maybe sternocleidomastoid muscles were strained due to improper positioning while doing rows.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,430,601 times
I get serious neck tension to the point that I get migraines. It's because have to hold my arms up to have a conversation (tactile sign), swing a cane to walk, carry a back-pack with my computer in it to communicate with non-signers, and do all sorts of things that just add to my neck tension. I also have TMJ syndrome which causes tension all the way into the neck/upper back area. I try to stretch and massage my neck every night. Hot water in the shower and hot towels on your neck at night also help. Massage it while lying down with your head on a very small pillow or no pillow, so the muscles are relaxed. (A big pillow actually strains your neck.) And if you can afford it, a massage can do wonders too! Hope your neck feels better soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness